Do you feel that the extra weight is causing a lot of problems in your life?
Obesity is one of the most common conditions in the modern world.
Our ancestors used to walk around a lot and do a lot of physical work. But nowadays we just sit on a chair at our work or study place for hours and hours.
Sometimes we don’t get the time to exercise. On the other hand, we eat a lot more processed and oily food.
This all together hurts our body and health, making us face serious health conditions.
You can get rid of that excess weight with the help of dietary restrictions and exercise.
There are also surgeries and operations help cut out extra skin and fat, but these procedures are serious and extensive.
There are also natural remedies which will help you lose the extra pounds cost-effectively and safely.
One very renowned and very useful home remedy is Apple cider vinegar.
You must have heard about the positive effects of using apple cider vinegar for weight loss.
If you haven’t yet, you’re in for a surprise! This article will help you explore:
- What apple cider vinegar is
- How apple cider vinegar works
- Why you should choose apple cider vinegar for weight loss
- How you can use apple cider vinegar in your daily diet
- Possible side effects to avoid
- How to speed up your weight loss journey
What is apple cider vinegar?
Apple cider vinegar is a special type of vinegar which has a variety of health benefits.
Apple juice is fermented to produce apple cider vinegar.
Do you know the history of the use of apple cider vinegar dates back to a thousand years ago? In old texts from China, Rome etc., you can find documented proof of its use.
Thus the use of this product is not a modern revelation but one that our ancestors could even swear by.
It is made from apples and is an acetic-acid based organic product. This sour liquid is also used in cooking.
Apple cider vinegar is the best when you buy the organic version. This organic apple cider vinegar consists of a yellow, straw-coloured, mesh-like substance at the bottom of the bottle which is known as the ‘mother’ (9).
This mother consists of many micronutrients and probiotics that will aid in weight loss and maintain good health (10).
There are many health benefits of Apple Cider vinegar such as (11):
- It helps in weight loss
- It helps in maintaining good health of the heart
- It helps in keeping a healthy blood glucose level in Type 2 diabetes
- It has anti-dandruff effects
- It helps in having good skin
- It helps to heal a sore throat
- It helps to relieve pain and cramps of leg (12)
- It helps in healing infections
Taking apple cider vinegar in controlled proportions will help you not only in losing weight but also in maintaining the health of your body and skin.
How apple cider vinegar works for your weight loss plan
Though not completely established, researchers believe that apple cider vinegar helps to increase the metabolism of the body, thus aiding in weight loss.
It is also effective in reducing the stored fat in your body. Moreover, it aids in burning fat actively.
It will make you feel full and prevent you from taking in extra calories.
It also contains a large number of nutrients that help in maintaining positive health.
Before you start using apple cider vinegar for weight loss, always consult your doctor to check if you are in perfect health to have it.
Some people may have allergies or side effects after having apple cider vinegar. In such cases seek medical attention immediately.
Why should you choose apple cider vinegar for weight loss?
There are numerous methods by which you can lose weight, but using apple cider vinegar will be your best choice because:
- It is a natural product which means it has minimal side effects.
- You do not require working out and exercising for hours.
- The expense of using apple cider vinegar is very less.
- The preparation time of the medication is minimal
- Apart from weight loss, it will help you have an overall good health.
How to use apple cider vinegar for weight loss
There are numerous ways and countless recipes that allow you to add this ingredient to your daily diet. Some recipes, such as those of salads, taste even better with apple cider vinegar.
If you are curious to know how you can put this amazing ingredient to use in your kitchen, then make sure to read till the very end.
1. Early morning apple cider vinegar with hot water
Since apple cider vinegar contains pectin, it suppresses your appetite, making sure you don’t overeat. So starting your day with this will quite obviously help you control your diet and weight.
Additionally, drinking hot water on an empty stomach trims down the fat in your lower abdomen.
So try to take this drink every morning, half an hour before you go out for a jog or have your breakfast.
- 8 ounces of warm water
- 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- Honey (for taste)
Take 8 ounces of warm water in a glass and add one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar into it stir well until you get an even mixture. You may add honey for taste as this drink can be hard to swallow. Take this drink on an empty stomach, preferably every morning before breakfast.
2. Soothing apple cider tea
You can find apple cider tea leaves and bags on the shelves of your nearest convenience store. If you love green tea, make sure you try this one out.
However, you can also make your own soothing apple cider tea at home with a few ingredients around your kitchen, as explained below.
Consider replacing your regular tea or coffee with this beverage because caffeine and sugar are two major contributors to weight gain.
- 1 cup of warm water
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 1 to two teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
- Half a spoon honey
Take warm water in a cup. Take 1 or 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and pour it in. To it add half a teaspoon of natural honey, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon and 2 tablespoons of lemon juice. Stir all the ingredients well. Drink this tea every day 3 times before each mean.
3. Apple cider vinegar and lemon juice drink
What’s better than cider? A citrus-cider cocktail!
This drink combines a highly beneficial citrus, lemon, to apple cider. Lemon has the added benefits of vitamin C.
Vitamin C helps to oxidise fat more easily in your body, resulting in more effective workout sessions. So if you are exercising regularly, this detoxifying drink is perfect for you.
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Half a lemon
- 8 ounce of warm water
Take 8 ounces of warm water in a glass. Squeeze half a lemon to extract the juice and add it to the water. Take one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and add it to the mixture. Stir well. You should drink this once in a day preferably in the morning or half an hour before working out.
4. Apple cider fruit juice
The truth is, apple cider vinegar is not graceful to your taste buds. The smell itself might make you wrinkle up your nose!
Adding fruit juice to this will help to dilute the strong smell and taste that makes this drink hard to swallow. On top of this, natural fruit juices have many nutritional health benefits which are perfect for people maintaining a strict diet.
Make sure you use unsweetened juice or the fresh one right from the fruit to avoid sugar intake.
Some brave people prefer to take apple cider raw. However, if you are not as experimental with your taste buds, which is completely normal, then you should try this drink out.
- Unsweetened fruit juice (mango, orange, pineapple, lemon etc.) or natural fruit extract.
- 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- A slice of lemon.
Take half a glass of fruit juice. Add a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to it. Stir well. Garnish with a slice of lemon. Drink this juice once a day with breakfast or in the evening as a refreshment.
5. Italian salad with apple cider dressing
I’m sure it’s no secret that celebs and fitness freaks live on salad, but this may come off as an unsatisfactory idea to you.
Thankfully there are many delicious salads out there you can stir up by buying the right ingredients. You just need to make sure the salad dressing you use isn’t full of cholesterol like most salad dressings are.
That’s where Apple cider vinegar comes in. Apple cider vinegar works as a perfect salad dressing for leafy salads, such as the one described below.
You can stir this easy mixture up to have lunch or dinner, or even as a side dish with your meals.
- Olive oil ½ cup
- Apple cider vinegar ½ cup
- Garlic(grated) 1 clove
- Freshly chopped parsley as per taste
- Freshly chopped basil as per taste
- Green chillies finely chopped 1
- Salt and pepper to taste
Mix ½ cup of apple cider vinegar into the olive oil and stir. Grate one clove of garlic and mix well. Chop the parsley, basil and chillies and mix it to the oil and vinegar mixture. Mix all the ingredients and use it as a salad dressing with all the fresh vegetables. You can have this filling salad once a day as your lunch or dinner.
6. Cider tomato ketchup
Let’s face it, we all need ketchup in our lives!
Ketchup goes with everything; from spaghetti to your favorite chicken dish, even as a side dip.
But ketchup contains many preservatives and unhealthy cholesterol which is bad for your weight loss plan.
Instead, apple cider vinegar gives you the option of making your own ketchup out of fresh ingredients so that you can start maintaining a more healthy life.
- Tomato paste 1 cup
- Apple cider vinegar ¼ cup
- Salt to taste
- Garlic powder ½ teaspoon
- Onion powder ½ teaspoon
- Cilantro as per taste
Mix the apple cider vinegar with the tomato paste in a saucepan and stir well in light heat.
Add the garlic powder, onion powder, and salt and stir for about 2-3 minutes.
Garnish with chopped cilantro.
Possible side effects and safety measures
Even though apple cider vinegar is a natural product, you should still use it cautiously.
Having very high amounts of apple cider vinegar will result in a negative impact on your health. Don’t take more than two tablespoons in a day.
Having it on alternating days is your safest option.
If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, then you should avoid having apple cider vinegar as there is no evidence about the effects of the product.
If you face any problems then immediately contact your doctor.
The most common side effects of Apple cider vinegar include:
- Each human body is distinct, and thus you may be sensitive to apple cider vinegar and develop allergies.
- Allergies can be in the form of rashes, itching, swellings or redness. In severe allergic conditions, you may develop breathing problems.
- In such cases seek medical attention immediately.
Effect on teeth (14 ):
- Apple cider vinegar is an acidic product that is the pH of the product is very low. This property has a degrading effect on the enamel of the teeth.
- If you have too much raw vinegar, then your teeth may start to become sensitive.
- While having apple cider vinegar drinks, you can use a straw because the straw will prevent the liquid from coming in touch with the tooth surface.
- You must always develop a habit of rinsing your mouth nicely after having apple cider vinegar.
- It is a very common problem but can be easily prevented by taking precautions.
Effect on diabetic patients:
- Apple cider vinegar helps in decreasing blood sugar levels (15).
- But in patients who are already taking medications for diabetes, the effect of the vinegar may exaggerate the blood glucose level.
- Thus, there can be a sudden fall in the sugar level.
- To prevent this, diabetic patients should consult their physician before taking apple cider vinegar.
- Glucose level should frequently be monitored.
Effect on the throat (16):
- In rare cases, you can develop burning sensation in your throat because of the acidity of the apple cider vinegar (17).
- You can prevent this by not having raw apple cider vinegar. Always dilute and have.
Interaction with other drugs
- It has been established that apple cider vinegar can affect the action of a few medication such as Insulin, diuretics, Digoxin etc. (18).
- If you are taking any of these medications, do consult your doctor first.
Apple cider vinegar, although a slow remedy, is essential for weight loss. It also helps you to maintain a healthy, fit life so that you can avoid facing diseases and conditions often related to weight gain as you age.
The benefits of apple cider vinegar are countless, so while using this as a remedy for your health, you’re not only losing those extra pounds but also helping out your skin, hair and other aspects of your body.
If you’re still not sure as to whether this simple addition to your daily lifestyle can make a significant change for you, then give it a try yourself. Try it out for a month at least and see the results.
But always remember to take necessary precautions and take it moderation to avoid possible side effects.