Did you know that bergamot oil is one of the most versatile and potent essential oils that you can use for your health?
This oil is extracted from the rind of bergamot fruit .
About a hundred bergamot fruits are needed to produce three ounces of bergamot oil .
According to WebMD, this oil is commonly used for treating psoriasis, fungal infections, and anxiety, among many other benefits.
Discussed below are the health benefits of bergamot oil that have been confirmed effective in scientific research.
1. Bergamot Oil is Beneficial for Diabetics
There are many things that you should do when you’re a diabetic.
On top of the list is to modify your diet, so that you’ll take in less sugar and carbohydrates.
Diabetes is a chronic condition of excessively high blood sugar levels, as defined by the National Health Services (NHS).
Alarmingly, the NHS predicts that about 5 million people in the UK will suffer from this serious ailment by 2025.
The good news is, there are natural remedies that you can use to control and manage this condition.
Bergamot is one of these.
In fact, this is among the 29 essential oils tested for its anti-diabetic effects .
A study conducted in University Magna Graecia in Catanzaro, Italy tested bergamot’s efficacy not only on animal subjects but also on humans .
The clinical trial involved Wistar rats and 237 human patients with hyperlipemia, some of which were due to high blood sugar levels .
Bergamot was administered orally for 30 consecutive days .
Results showed that there was a significant reduction in both the cholesterol and blood sugar levels .
- Diabetes is a serious chronic disorder that can be managed with proper diet and natural remedies.
- Bergamot oil has anti-diabetic effects that can maintain proper levels of blood sugar.
- It can also help lower cholesterol among patients who are diabetic.
2. Bergamot Oil Protects the Brain
It’s absolutely important to protect the head from any physical trauma at all times.
If you’re going to engage in sports or ride in a motorcycle, wearing safety gear such as helmets is imperative.
This helps avoid brain injury due to trauma.
Mayo Clinic explains that brain injury occurs when an “external force” prevents the brain from functioning properly.
External force can be anything from a violent hit on the head to an object that penetrates the skull.
Bergamot oil is said to have the capacity to minimize brain damage by preventing neuronal cell death .
Similar results were released by another study, this time published in the International Review of Neurobiology .
- Protecting the head from physical trauma is important to avoid any type of brain injury.
- Bergamot oil has neuroprotective effects on the brain that can help prevent death of brain cells.
3. Bergamot Oil Can Reduce the Risk of Cancer
Cancer continues to claim the lives of many people each year.
Even with modern cancer treatments, it still remains as a top cause of death worldwide.
A staggering 7 million people die of cancer each year, according to World Cancer Day.
What’s even more frustrating is that many of these could have been prevented with early intervention or with a healthier lifestyle.
Natural remedies such as bergamot oil can also help.
Research shows that bergamot oil has significant anti-cancer effects but scientists recommend further investigation .
Responsible for these actions are the cancer-fighting phytochemicals that abound in bergamot .
As with other natural remedies for cancer, this one also appears to trigger only the cancer cells and leaves the healthy cells alone.
- Bergamot oil is a potential anti-cancer agent that can help reduce the risk of certain forms of this potentially fatal disease.
- Contributing to its anti-cancer effects are phytochemicals, which focus on the cancer cells, and not the healthy ones.
4. Bergamot Oil Prevents Damage in the Liver
The liver is not an organ to be taken for granted.
After all, it is in charge of many vital bodily functions including regulation of blood composition, detoxification of the blood, processing and storage of nutrients, production of protein and cholesterol, metabolism of alcohol, and blood clotting, among others .
Needless to say, it’s a must to exert extra effort in keeping it protected from disease.
That is, if you want to continue living a well and healthy life.
Of course, it also helps to make healthy changes in your lifestyle such as quit smoking, drink less alcohol, and eat a healthy and low-fat diet.
- With its limonene and alpha-pinene, bergamot oil can efficiently protect the liver from damage and keep it functioning properly.
- To help protect the liver even more, it helps to take on a healthier diet that’s low in fat, and at the same time, quit smoking and consume less alcohol.
5. Bergamot Oil Wards Off Heart Disease
While cancer is a leading cause of death, it has not taken the place of heart disease.
Heart disease remains the number one killer anywhere in the world, according to the World Health Organization (WHO).
Just like cancer, the risk for this disease can also be reduced with a healthy lifestyle.
A heart-friendly diet that’s low in fat and cholesterol, and regular exercise can help keep your heart in top condition.
Plus, it is good to know that there are essential oils like bergamot that can help ward off this problem.
It successfully reduced “signs of coronary arterial spasm” in the animal subjects .
These properties make bergamot oil a good way to promote cardiovascular health.
- One of the essential oils that can help protect the heart and reduce risk of heart disease is bergamot oil.
- It has been found to have significant antiagingal and antiarrhythmic properties that can prevent heart disease.
- Don’t forget to improve your lifestyle, modify your diet, and get regular exercise.
6. Bergamot Oil Keeps Cholesterol Level in Check
The American Heart Association explains what makes up the total cholesterol count.
The low-density lipoprotein (LDL) and the high-density lipoprotein (HDL) are the two lipoprotein types that transport cholesterol to and from the cells while the triglycerides are the one-fifth of the cholesterol count.
LDL cholesterol and triglycerides levels should be kept low to maintain heart health.
If not, your risk for heart disease and high blood pressure can shoot up, and that’s something that you don’t want.
Apart from taking on a low-fat and low-cholesterol diet and making sure that you get regular exercise, it’s also a smart move to make use of natural approaches that will help maintain proper levels of cholesterol.
A good example of these is bergamot oil.
In 2013, researchers have discovered that bergamot oil has the ability to reduce levels not only of the LDL cholesterol but also the triglycerides, promoting cardiovascular function along the way .
- High cholesterol can lead to serious health problems like heart disease, and should therefore be maintained in proper levels.
- Bergamot is one of the essential oils that you can use to stabilize cholesterol levels in your bloodstream.
7. Bergamot Oil Can Neutralize Bacteria that Cause Food Poisoning
If you’ve ever had an episode of food poisoning, you know how terrible the experience is.
It’s something that you would never want to experience ever again.
Once is more than enough.
Otherwise known as foodborne illness, food poisoning is caused by eating food that have been contaminated by infectious microorganisms such as bacteria .
It causes severe diarrhea, vomiting, and abdominal pain that can last for a few days up to a week.
Among the various oils tested for antimicrobial properties on bacteria that cause food poisoning, bergamot has been reported to be the most effective .
It can completely stop the bacterial activities, and prevent them from spreading.
- Food poisoning caused by bacteria such as Listeria, E. Coli and Staphylococcus aureus can result in severe abdominal pain, diarrhea, vomiting and many other unpleasant symptoms.
- Get rid of this problem by using bergamot, which possesses potent antimicrobial properties.
- It kills the source of infection, and prevents the growth and spread of bacteria in the intestine.
8. Bergamot Oil Can Tone Down Stress and Anxiety
Feeling stressed out?
While stress can be a good thing from time to time, if it becomes chronic and persistent, it can become hazardous to your health.
It can increase the risk of many ailments including high blood pressure, heart disease, depression, and so on.
Managing levels of stress is a must if you want to maintain your physical health and emotional wellbeing.
Bergamot oil has long been used as a stress reduction technique .
As it turns out, the folkloric use of this essential oil has some scientific basis.
Its effects are similar to those of diazepam, a medication commonly prescribed for anxiety .
- The use of bergamot oil in stress-reducing aromatherapy is effective as it has anxiolytic effects.
- Apart from that, it also reduces the hormone called corticosterone, which is otherwise called the stress hormone.
9. Bergamot Oil Can Treat Skin Fungal Infections
Although these are not that serious and should not be cause for alarm, you’d want to treat them right away with natural methods like bergamot oil.
Data from a clinical trial reveals that bergamot has strong antifungal effects against dermatophytes .
It not only kills the cause of infection, but also helps alleviate the distressing symptoms such as redness, itching, and inflammation.
- Natural antifungals like bergamot oil can help keep fungal infections at bay.
- It can inhibit the activities of common fungal strains such as Trichophyton, Microsporum and Epidermophyton.
10. Bergamot Oil is a Good Remedy for Inflammation
Inflammation is not entirely a bad thing.
When a part of the body becomes red and swollen, it means that the body is trying to get rid of a foreign invader that can possibly harm one’s health .
Chronic inflammation or inflammation due to autoimmune diseases can however be a problem.
Fortunately, essential oils like bergamot possess anti-inflammatory properties that work well for cases like these .
- Inflammation is the body’s way of getting rid of a foreign invader that may possibly bring disease.
- If inflammation becomes chronic, it can be remedied using natural antifungals such as bergamot oil.
11. Aloe Vera Oil Reduces Sun Damage
While it’s nice to have a tan, over exposure to the sun’s ultraviolet radiation is anything but pretty.
It can cause sunburn, and even elevate the risk of skin cancer.
Health experts recommend the use of sunscreen to prevent damage from sun exposure.
The only problem is, commercial sunscreen products have been found to have chemicals that can cause adverse effects on the body .
Using natural sunscreen like bergamot oil is a safer option.
- Bergamot oil is a natural sunscreen that can minimize the effects of UV radiation on the skin.
12. Bergamot Oil Has Anti-Aging Properties
A good way to keep yourself looking young and fresh is to use bergamot oil.
Bergamot has been proven to be an efficient anti-aging substance .
It works by promoting the growth of new skin cells to replace old and dull ones .
There’s no need to go under the knife if you use natural and safe anti-aging techniques that definitely work.
- Delay skin aging by using bergamot oil, which promotes skin cell regeneration.
Bergamot oil has many remarkable benefits for the health that everyone should know more about.
Not only does it help maintain top health by protecting the liver and heart, it also reduces the risk of many serious ailments.
It’s a good idea to have bergamot oil in your home, ready to be used anytime you need it.