The boiled egg diet is a low-calorie, low-carbs, protein-based meal plan designed to aid in weight loss.
As the name suggests, this diet emphasizes on boiled eggs as the key source of protein.
Boiled egg diet is meant to be short term and it typically lasts two weeks. During this diet period, you will only eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner. There will be no snacks, except for water or zero calorie drinks.
This article looks into how the boiled egg diet works, meal plan, benefits, side effects, and foods you need to avoid on this diet.
The Boiled Egg Diet: How Does It Work?
You may find it surprising but boiled egg diet can be an ideal solution if you have a short-term weight loss goal. It can help you lose 20 pounds in just two weeks or less.
Eggs are low in calories, but high in protein, meaning that they can help you lose weight. But, you don’t have to sacrifice the protein essential to build muscle.
A 100 g of egg contains 0.72 g of carbohydrates and 12.56 g of protein. The amount of carbohydrate here is a perfect option to lose weight.
And the best part is, nearly all the protein you get from an egg is getting digested in your body. It means you can lose weight while getting the necessary protein and other nutrients to stay healthy.
Boiled Egg Diet Meal Plan
There are different versions of the boiled egg diet, but most of them work the same. You start the day with eggs and continue eating a small amount of lean protein throughout the day.
Lean proteins you can eat:
The following vegetables and fruits can be included in your diet:
The Traditional Boiled Egg Diet
In the traditional version of this diet, you need to eat boiled eggs with some other lean protein like fish or chicken at every meal. Grapefruit and some low-carb vegetables can be added in breakfast and dinner:
Here is a sample menu for the traditional boiled egg diet:
Breakfast: 2 Boiled eggs, 1 grapefruit or spinach with mushrooms.
Lunch: 1/2 chicken breast with broccoli or any other low-carb vegetables.
Dinner: Fish (1 serving) and green salad.
The Egg and Grapefruit Diet
In this version, you will eat half of a grapefruit in each meal. A sample menu includes:
Breakfast: 2 boiled eggs and 1/2 grapefruit.
Lunch: 1/2 chicken breast, 1/2 grapefruit, broccoli.
Dinner: Fish (1 serving) and 1/2 grapefruit.
The Extreme Egg Diet
In this version, you will only eat boiled eggs and water for two weeks. However, this diet is not a balanced and healthy option. It may cause severe malnutrition. That’s why this diet is not recommended.
Boiled Egg Diet: Foods That are Excluded
Following are the foods that you need to while you are on this diet:
- Junk foods
- Sugary and processed drinks
- Fried foods
- Red Meat
- Fatty Fish
- Foods with artificial ingredients.
Benefits of Boiled Egg Diet
- Boiled egg diet ensures quality protein with minimal calories. So it is quite helpful if you want to lose weight fast.
- This diet excludes all junk foods from your daily meal, meaning that you will have a healthy eating habit.
- It requires eating healthy vegetables and fruits in every meal. Hence, you will have an adequate amount of vitamins and minerals.
Side Effects of Boiled Egg Diet
Although the boiled egg diet helps to lose weight fast, it is not considered healthy. It has some side effects, including:
- Boiled egg diet may cause a lack of energy in those who exercise regularly.
- Your digestive system may not adjust a sudden shifting to a high-protein, low-carb diet. It may cause nausea, diarrhea, constipation, etc.
- A boiled egg diet may increase the risk of heart disease. A study published in 2015 shows consuming more than six eggs per week may increase the risk of heart failure by 30%.
- This diet is not sustainable. Most people gain weight within a few days after they go back to their previous lifestyle.
- Dietary fiber is essential for nourishing the gut bacteria. As egg has no fiber, this diet may be harmful to your gut health.
Any crash diet designed to help lose weight comes with some negative consequences. Boiled egg diet is no different.
This diet may help you lose weight easily and quickly, but you will suffer from malnutrition and feel weak. You can also gain weight if you don’t follow a healthy eating habit after completing this diet.
It’s highly recommended to drink a lot of water while you are on a boiled egg diet. Besides, try to practice healthy eating that doesn’t involve any processed or high sugar foods.
Always choose a healthy eating habit that controls calories without any restrictions for long-term and sustainable weight loss.