Are you craving a cup of coffee or a piece of cake? Let’s have both.
Cake is one of the most popular desserts around the world. There will be hardly anyone who hasn’t fall in love with the sweetness of it. Whether it’s someone’s birthday, wedding, or a housewarming party, this delicious dessert can fit anywhere.
There are several recipes for cakes that vary from country to country. Some of them require years of baking experience, while others can be made easily at home.
So, if you’re looking for an easy coffee cake recipe, you’re just in the right place. The following recipe is quite easy to prepare, has no preservatives, and healthier than the store-bought cakes.
Classic Coffee Cake Recipe
- Caster sugar: 170 g
- Butter: 170 g (plus 10g extra for icing)
- Eggs: 3 (Large)
- Self-raising flour: 170 g
- Baking Powder: 1 ½ tsp
- Instant coffee/ coffee syrup: 2 ½ tbsp (or more if you like it strong)
- Icing sugar: 225 g
- Strawberry jam (optional)
- Cherries or walnuts (optional for decoration)
How to prepare:
- Set the temperature of your oven to160C/140C. Take three 2 x 18cm sandwich tins and grease them.
- Take a bowl and mix sugar and butter. Whisk them until they become pale and fluffy.
- In a mug, whisk the eggs and gradually add to the mixture with one tbsp flour each time.
- When the whisked egg is completely mixed, add remaining flour and baking powder. Gently fold it in.
- Now, pour the dissolved coffee in the mixture. You can also add coffee syrup instead of coffee. Using the right amount of the coffee syrup will give exactly the same flavor as coffee powder. Add it gradually to the mixture while folding.
- Now, divide the mixture into the sandwich tins and bake for 25-30 minutes until risen and firm. To check if they are properly baked, insert a toothpick into the middle of the cakes and see if it comes out clean.
- Leave them for 5 minutes in the tin before turning them out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Take a bowl and bit the icing sugar with butter until they become fluffy and light. Add coffee and whisk again.
- Once the cakes are completely cooled, spread around half of the icing on the bottom of one and strawberry jam on the bottom of the other. Sandwich them together and spread the remaining icing on the top. Decorate the cake with cherries and walnuts and serve.
You will get the following nutrition per serving:
- Calorie: 559 kcal
- Fat: 30g
- Carbs: 66g
- Saturates: 18g
- Sugar: 49g
- Protein: 5g
- Fiber: 1g
The best part of having homemade cakes is, they have no artificial colors, flavors, and no harmful chemicals. Besides, you can customize the sweetness and other flavors according to your tastebud.
The above recipe is perfect for those who love cakes with the taste of coffee in them. Whether it’s party or you’re just getting bored at home, just bake this cake and enjoy its deliciousness with your family.