There is hardly anyone who doesn’t like fried chicken. The flavorful crispy coating with the juicy meat inside is delicious enough to satisfy your hunger.
Starting from your local fast food shops to the international chain, everyone has their unique recipe for this yummy fried chicken. With some simple ingredients, you can even make this dish at your home.
Today, we will show you how to make Southern-style oven-fried chicken at home.
Delicious Southern-Style Oven-Fried Chicken Recipe
Making fried chicken at your microwave oven is quite easy and cost-effective. You can use any budget-friendly chicken to make this dish.
- Chicken thighs (bone-in, skinless) – 4 pcs, about 1 1/2 lbs. total
- Nonfat buttermilk – 2 cups
- Salt – ¾ teaspoon
- Breadcrumbs – ¾ cup
- Cornstarch – 1 tablespoon
- Onion powder – ½ teaspoon
- Garlic powder – ½ teaspoon
- Smoked paprika – ½ teaspoon
- Ground pepper – ¼ teaspoon
- Cayenne pepper – ¼ teaspoon
- Canola oil – 3 tablespoons
Direction to make:
- Take a large bowl and pour the buttermilk in it. Add ½ teaspoon of salt. Soak the chicken in the buttermilk and cover the bowl. Put the chicken in the refrigerator for a minimum of two hours to a maximum of eight hours.
- Preheat the oven to 475ºC.
- Take another dish and mix the breadcrumbs, paprika, garlic powder, cayenne, onion powder, cornstarch, and ground pepper.
- Take the pieces of chicken one by one from the buttermilk. Let the excess milk drip off.
- Sprinkle the chicken with the breadcrumb mixture and place it to a plate. Evenly sprinkle the remaining salt on the chicken.
- Take an oven-safe pan and add one and a half tablespoon of canola oil. When the oil is medium-high, add the chicken pieces and cook until they become brown.
- Place the chicken (brown side to the bottom) on a baking sheet and let them set.
- Pour the remaining cooking oil to the pan heat it again. Transfer the chicken to the pan back (brown side up) and cook similarly.
- Now, place the pan into the oven and bake for fifteen minutes.
- Your oven-fried chicken is ready to serve.
Oven-Fried Chicken: Nutrition Facts
A piece of oven-fried chicken thigh provides the following nutrition:
- Calories – 389
- Protein – 30.1 gram
- Total fat – 19.9 gram
- Saturated fat – 3.4 gram
- Cholesterol – 88 mg
- Potassium – 218 mg
- Sodium – 643 gram
- Carbohydrates – 20.4 gram
- Fiber – 0.6 gram
- Sugar – 6 gram
Fried chicken is extremely delicious and an excellent source of protein. However, be careful when you’re eating fried chicken in a shop. They are high in calories and cholesterol and can be harmful to your health.
Instead of taking deep-fried chicken, try this recipe of oven-fried chicken as it’s safe to eat. You can also try some of your seasoning or spices based on your tastebud.