Arthritis comes in more than a hundred types. The most common of these is a degenerative bone disease called osteoarthritis .
You can identify this chronic condition by inflammation of one or more joints. It causes severe pain, swelling, and discomfort .
If you suffer from this condition, it can make it difficult for you to move the affected area. It can also hamper your productivity and performance.
For these reasons, you must be able to manage your condition. Luckily, there are some essential oils for arthritis that can ease your sufferings.
It’s okay to rely on anti-inflammatory drugs and painkillers. But, you would also want to try home remedies that don’t only work but also have fewer side effects.
Some Essential Oils for Arthritis
Below is a list of simple but effective essential oils for arthritis that you can use. Go through them and find the suitable one for you.
1. Ginger Oil
Ginger has always been an excellent herbal remedy for all sorts of ailments. Because it contains analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties.
Chinese and Indian medicines promoted it as a natural treatment for arthritis .
Its anti-arthritic effect has been the subject of studies in western societies .
A 1994 study confirms ginger’s ability to suppress joint swelling in animal studies.
Researchers administered ginger oil to rats with severe arthritis. After 26 days, it suppressed inflammation in both the paw and joints .
There was a separate clinical trial. 56 human patients with arthritis and muscular pain participated in that trial. Those who used ginger experienced significant relief in pain, inflammation, and discomfort .
There were no reports of adverse effects even after long-term use of up to 2.5 years .
Ginger does its magic by inhibiting the biosynthesis of leukotriene and prostaglandin .
How you can treat arthritis using ginger oil:
- Combine castor oil and ginger oil.
- Pour oil on a warm towel.
- Apply to the affected joint.
- Repeat remedy several times a day.
2. Turmeric Oil
Turmeric’s main active compound curcumin is a famous anti-inflammatory agent. That’s why people with various kinds of arthritis can use this oil to ease inflammation.
A Japanese study evaluated the role of an inflammatory cytokine. It’s usually responsible for rheumatoid arthritis. The study found that curcumin can inhibit the activities of this cytokine. Thus it can reduce swelling .
A 2010 study shows that the use of turmeric in animal subjects reduced joint swelling from 90 to 100 percent .
Three of its significant curcuminoids were responsible for toning down joint inflammation. American researchers explain that fact .
Turmeric oil can be an alternative treatment for arthritic disorders. There’s enough evidence to prove that .
How to use turmeric oil to soothe arthritis pain:
- Massage painful joint with a mixture of 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 5 drops of turmeric oil.
- Wait for 10 minutes before rinsing the mixture off.
- Repeat this procedure once a day for one to two weeks.
It’s also a potent anti-inflammatory agent that can relieve arthritic pain and swelling.
The Journal of Ethnopharmacology published a study in 2011. It has validated the oil’s analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties .
A simple way to use myrrh oil for arthritis:
- Soak a towel in hot water.
- Wring to squeeze out excess water.
- Combine 3 drops of myrrh oil, 2 drops of frankincense oil, and 1 tsp of coconut oil.
- Pour oil mixture on the warm towel.
- Wrap affected joint with the towel when it’s not too hot.
- Leave it on for 15 minutes.
- Use this remedy twice a day until the inflammation subsides.
For centuries, frankincense has been an essential part of religious and traditional ceremonies. Countless ailments have relied upon it as treatment .
Scientists have done study to prove its clinical efficacy and pharmacological effects .
One of its practical uses is for the treatment of inflammatory disorders. Arthritis is one of those diseases.
According to a study, frankincense oil can suppress the production of inflammatory molecules. Those molecules can trigger arthritis. And, at the same time, it helps prevent damage to the cartilage tissue .
30 patients suffering from knee osteoarthritis attended another study. Frankincense oil users felt better compared to those who did not .
They reported reduced knee pain, better knee flexion, and longer walking distance .
The presence of boswellic acids handles the anti-inflammatory mechanisms of frankincense oil .
Learn how to use frankincense oil to relieve your pain:
- Add 20 drops of frankincense oil and 20 drops of lavender oil to your warm bath water.
- Soak in the bathtub for 30 minutes.
- Massage painful area with water infused with oils.
- Do this once a day for two to three weeks.
Orange oil is an excellent choice to make. you feel alert. Besides, its anti-inflammatory properties can help people combat arthritis.
A 2009 study featured in the European Journal of Medical Research proved the fact .
It indicated that orange oil could reduce the release of inflammatory cytokines. Moreover, it could inhibit the production of reactive oxygen species .
In Hong Kong, half of the 59 senior citizens with knee pain took six sessions of massage for three weeks. They used orange and ginger oils for the massage. The other half received a placebo .
The group who took orange and ginger oil massage showed significant improvement .
Try this orange oil recipe if you have arthritis:
- Combine 1 tsp of avocado oil and 3 drops of orange oil.
- Pour mixture into a glass jar.
- Shake to blend well.
- Put some of the oil mixtures into your palm, and massage it into the affected area.
- Diffuse some orange oil in a diffuser to calm down the senses.
- Follow this technique once a day for one to two weeks.
Some people who suffer from chronic pain rely on peppermint oil for immediate relief. They use this oil to massage painful areas of the body, or to relieve a headache.
It is a popular folk remedy with proven analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties .
Some patented topical formulations can relieve arthritis, rheumatism and other similar conditions. These have included peppermint oil as an essential ingredient .
Menthol is also a natural analgesic. It stimulates the cold receptors and inhibit currents in the neuronal membranes. Thus, it leaves a cooling sensation that reduces pain sensation when applied on skin .
How you may use peppermint oil to ease arthritis pain:
- Mix 3 drops of peppermint oil and 1 tsp of coconut oil.
- Massage oil mixture onto the affected joint.
- Wrap the painful area with a warm towel.
- Keep it on for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Use this remedy as necessary.
Rosemary oil is famous for its enticing scent. But it also has a wide range of pharmacological properties. This includes being an anti-inflammatory agent .
Rosemary oil is one of the most effective topical solutions for arthritis. Because it can relieve pain, and delay progression of the disease. Thus, the oil makes patients comfortable. 
In one clinical trial, rosemary extract was one of the key ingredients in a formulation. Researchers designed it to treat patients with arthritis and fibromyalgia .
Those who take this formulation 3 times a day for 4 weeks showed a 40 to 50 percent decrease in arthritic pain .
There were no side effects. Thus, you can consider it as a safe and effective treatment for so many arthritic conditions .
Try this rosemary oil blend for arthritis pain:
- Blend 3 drops of rosemary oil with 1 tsp of sweet almond oil and put it in a glass jar with a lid.
- Shake well.
- Massage a small amount on your back, knee or any painful joint.
- Use this technique twice a day for up to one week.
Marjoram is a culinary herb. Chefs around the world use as a flavoring for various dishes and beverages. Scientific research has proved its oil extract to have several pharmacological benefits .
One of these is as an anti-inflammatory .
A 2009 study conducted by a team of researchers from the Czech Republic explains how this works .
Moreover, this oil also great for calming and relaxing the senses, which is a bonus.
As you know, arthritis can cause high stress. You can take advantage of marjoram’s relaxation effects to make yourself feel better.
How you can use marjoram oil for arthritis pain:
- Add 20 drops of marjoram oil to your bath water.
- Make sure the water is warm.
- Swish bath water with fingers to infuse oil.
- Sit in the bath for half an hour.
- You can also massage your painful joints while in the tub.
- Do this once a day until your condition improves.
The scientific literature has established the functional role of lavender in inflammatory conditions.
A clinical trial in 2002 has confirmed this fact. In that trial, these compounds reduced edema in animal subjects .
Researchers believe that lavender oil is quite useful for arthritic patients. Because it stimulates blood circulation. The oil also promotes healthy oxygen flow to the joints and muscles.
On top of these, lavender can help soothe and calm the senses. It also tones down stress levels caused by arthritic pain.
Learn how to take care of arthritis pain using lavender oil:
- Boil towel in hot water.
- Remove from heat.
- Let it cool a little until it’s not too hot to scald your skin.
- Pour 5 drops of lavender oil on a towel.
- Wrap towel around painful joints.
- Leave it on for 30 minutes. Remove towel.
- Use this remedy twice a day for one to two weeks.
You may find it surprising, but cayenne pepper oil is an excellent pain reliever.
Yes, it gives a burning sensation when applied on skin, but you’ll get used to it after a while.
A group of scientists evaluated the effect of cayenne on inflammation. Some of the arthritis patient received topical capsaicin. 80 percent of them had a significant reduction in pain after two weeks .
But, there are some of those who could not tolerate the transient burning sensation felt on the skin. Thus, they stopped using the treatment .
How to use cayenne oil to reduce arthritis pain:
- Combine 3 drops of cayenne oil and 1 tsp of jojoba oil.
- Pour mixture in a glass jar with lid.
- Blend by shaking the jar.
- Pour a small amount on a cotton ball.
- Apply the mixture to your affected joint. It may cause a bit of stinging pain, but it will only last for a few seconds.
- Let it sit for 10 minutes before rinsing with warm water.
- Repeat procedure once a day until arthritis is gone.
Many arthritic patients have found comfort in using sandalwood oil.
Arthritis pain emanates in the nerves. Most people believe that this oil can numb and sedate the nervous system to ease the pain.
There may be truth to this claim.
A 2009 experiment shows that sandalwood oil indeed has analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties. Thus, it can help those who are suffering from arthritis .
It’s because of the active compounds in sandalwood such as santalol and tannic acid .
A simple way to use sandalwood oil to soothe arthritis:
- Put 2 drops of sandalwood oil and 1 tsp of almond oil in a bowl and Mix well.
- Transfer to a glass jar.
- Pour a few drops on your palm.
- Massage sore joint with oil mixture.
- Do this for 15 minutes.
- Repeat remedy every day until arthritis subsides.
Yarrow is a perennial plant originating from Europe. It is best known for its anti-inflammatory properties .
People have been using the oil for many types of inflammation-related ailments. These include arthritis as well .
Its active compounds can suppress inflammatory processes in the body .
One of its anti-inflammatory agents is chamazulene .
How to use yarrow oil for arthritis:
- Pour 2 drops of yarrow oil and 1 tsp of jojoba oil in a bowl.
- Transfer to a glass jar.
- Blend by shaking the jar.
- Apply a few drops of the mixture on the affected joint.
- Massage for 10 minutes.
- Repeat procedure twice a day until pain is gone.
This essential oil comes from Eucalyptus globulus. It’s a type of gum trees native to Australia. 
It is one of the most workable essential oils for arthritis. Because it comes with a stable characteristic and penetrating smell.
Eucalyptus oil helps boost your immune system.
It contains several medicinal components that provide the powerful anti-inflammatory effect. This essential oil can soothe pain, inflammation, as well as swelling due to arthritis.
An easy way to use eucalyptus oil to soothe arthritis pain:
- Dilute 2-3 drops of eucalyptus oil with a carrier oil of your choice.
- Apply the oil to your affected area and massage the area for quick relief of pain.
Spruce oil comes from Hemlock Spruce tree that belongs to the Picea family. 
This oil can benefit an arthritis patient in many ways. Because it consists of chemical components called limonene and bornyl acetate.
It can reduce pain and inflammation due to arthritis.
Spruce oil is a natural antioxidant. It can detoxify the body of an arthritis patient, decreasing cell damage.
Arthritis patients often suffer from anxiety and stress. Use of spruce oil can reduce anxiety and help them to relax.
Try these spruce oil recipes to reduce anxiety:
- Mix 15-30 drops of spruce oil with 1 ounce of any carrier oil.
- Apply it to your affected area.
- Massage the area until your skin absorbs the oil.
- You can also put some spruce oil in your bath water and soak into it for relaxation.
The oil comes from vetiver, a perennial herb with a distinct aroma. 
Vetiver is quite popular as a digestive aid, stimulant, and relief to anxiety and stress. It’s also useful in treating snake bites and gallbladder pain.
Vetiver essential oil is rich in pain-relieving and anti-inflammatory properties. Thus, it helps reduce pain and inflammation in arthritis patients.
It also detoxifies the body and reduces stress and tension due to arthritis pain.
Some easy ways to use vetiver oil for arthritis:
- Mix a few drops of vetiver essential oils in your favorite juice, soft drinks, or ice cream and consume it.
- Drop a few drops of vetiver oil in a diffuser and inhale it to reduce stress and anxiety.
- You can also dilute it with almond oil and apply to the affected area.
When to See a Doctor?
You can usually soothe your arthritis pain with home remedies, such as essential oils. But sometimes these remedies aren’t enough to give you comfort. If you find the pain, stress, and anxiety are interfering with your life, consult with your doctor.
You should also visit a doctor if you see the following symptoms:
- There’s no improvement of pain after a week.
- You have swollen red-hot knee, wrist, or other isolated joint.
- Proper rest doesn’t ease your pain.
- You have other conditions along with arthritis.
Arthritis hampers your daily life. You may find it difficult to walk, move, work, and perform simple tasks.
But, you can feel better with the help of these essential oils for arthritis treatment.
Hope this article was helpful to you. Don’t forget to share your experience with us by leaving a comment below.
Also, for any queries or confusions, feel free to ask us.