The use of essential oil brought ease and comfort to us by helping us treat many health problems effectively. An essential oil can work on treating constipation too.
In this article, we will discuss the use of essential oil for constipation and how they work on your body.
A Clear Overview of Constipation
Constipation refers to the difficulty of passing stools. In constipation, the stool is generally hard, or at least 25% of it is. The hard stool makes this hard on your body to exit it completely. 
Constipation can cause the following problems:
- Stiff stools that are hard to pass
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) 
- Pain and straining while pooping
- Rectal bleeding or fissures
- Bloated stomach and cramping
- Lower abdominal discomfort
- Psychological distress and the feeling of nausea
The reason for constipation can be:
- A sudden change in diet or food habit
- Inadequate fluid intakes
- Lack of fiber in the diet 
- Problems with bowel movement
- Impact of exercises
Benefits and Uses of Essential Oils for Constipation
The use of essential oils in treating health problems is nothing new. It has been going on for centuries, and in recent years, it gained even more attention and popularity. 
Essential oils are mostly safe for your body, and at the same time, they can successfully treat many health disorders. Check the following list of essential oils that you can use to manage your constipation at home.
1. Ginger Essential Oil
Aside from the excellent flavor, it brings in foods; ginger is also considered a fantastic remedy for digestive problems.
Ginger oil is a natural stimulator that helps to stimulate your digestive system as well as the gastric motility.
How to use ginger essential oil for constipation:
To use ginger essential oil for constipation, apply it with a warm compress on your stomach. For this, you need to put 2-3 drops of ginger oil to a hot towel and use it on your lower abdominal area until the towel gets cold. Remove the towel and massage the area for a few minutes. Try the remedy twice or thrice a day to get relief.
2. Lemon Essential Oil
The use of lemon essential oil can help you get rid of constipation as well as abdominal discomfort.
How you can use lemon essential oil for constipation:
Mix a few drops of lemon oil with any carrier oil and massage into the abdominal area. You can use the oil to inhale as it works both the ways. Do this twice a day for a few days until your constipation recovers.
[Note: you need to avoid sun exposure when you have lemon essential oil applied on your skin.]
Also Read: 10 Ways Lemon Oil Can Benefit your Health
3. Rosemary Essential Oil
Commonly known as an herb that enhances the taste of dishes, rosemary is packed with medicinal benefits that can improve health conditions.
Rosemary essential oil is the concentrated form of the beneficial herb and can be used to treat digestive issues.
The oil has a spasmolytic effect on human bodies. On its application, it can reduce spasm of the muscles and help them to calm down and relax. 
A gentle massage of rosemary essential oil on to your abdominal area can stimulate your digestive system and improve the bowel movement as well as other muscle contractions.
How to use rosemary essential oil for constipation:
You can pour a few drops of the oil in an air diffuser and inhale the aroma. It will leave a positive impact on your body.
Another way is to mix a few drops of the oil with any carrier oil and gently massage onto the abdomen. You can also add some on your body lotion and apply to your skin. Try doing this twice or thrice a day till you find relief.
4. Peppermint Essential Oil
You can now use peppermint essential oil for constipation. The oil has antispasmodic properties that help to loosen up the bowel movement by relaxing the muscles if your digestive tract. 
The menthol of peppermint oil helps the muscles of the abdominal area to calm down and reduces cramping and discomfort. Peppermint oil has significant performance in relieving irritable bowel syndrome as well.
How to use peppermint essential oil for constipation:
The best oil to dilute peppermint oil with is organic coconut oil or grapeseed oil. Mix 2-3 drops of peppermint oil with one teaspoon of any of these two carrier oils and apply the mixture onto the abdomen massaging in a circular motion.
Try to inhale the aroma as much as possible while massaging it as inhaling peppermint oil is equally effective as applying it directly to the skin. Repeat this two to three times a day until you get relief from constipation.
5. Fennel Essential Oil
Fennel seeds are a good source of digestive stimulants. The essential oil can be a natural way of stimulating your digestive tracts. 
You can use this oil as a natural laxative to soften the hard stools, or you can apply some to massage your abdominal area.
How to use fennel essential oil for constipation:
The most effective way is to mix a few drops of fennel essential oil with any light carrier oil and massage the abdomen for several minutes. You can do this thrice a day every day till your constipation cures.
Precautions and Side Effects
- Though essential oils are considered mostly safe, it may not be right for everyone. There are always some people with sensitivity issues that may not feel comfortable with the use of essential oil. So for better safety, you can consult a certified aromatherapist before using essential oil. 
- Dilution is the most crucial step while using an essential oil remedy. Essential oils are the fluid extract of different medicinal plants. Therefore, they are sturdy and potent. Before using the oil, you need to dilute it with the right amount of carrier oil.
- Before using an essential oil remedy, you should check for allergies or irritations by applying some of the product on your skin. For the result, you need to wait for at least a day. If no sign of allergies occurs, you can use the remedy.
- If you face problems like bleeding and immense pain while trying to eliminate the stool, consult a doctor immediately. 
- Potent essential oils like peppermint oil are not suitable for children. You need to be careful while using them.
- It is better to not use an essential oil remedy on your child before consulting its pediatrician.
- In case of a pregnant or breastfeeding mother, we suggest not to use any remedy before consulting a doctor.
When to Visit a Doctor
Mostly caused by changes in food habits in our everyday lives, constipation can be the indication of an underlying health problem as well. 
Occasional constipation is not a matter of grave concern; you may easily cure it at home with the help of the essential oils.
Essential oil remedies may help you with the passing out of stools, but for a complete recovery, you need to visit the doctor.
Health is the important thing in life. You should never leave a health problem unattended.
No one will understand your body better than you. So if you feel like something serious is going on in your body, you should immediately take the necessary steps to define the problem alongside the cure.
Though constipation is not a serious problem, to be extra sure you may make an appointment with your physician. In the meantime, these essential oils may help you keep your body at ease.