Meniere’s disease is a chronic inner-ear disorder. It’s an incurable disease that can cause dizziness, tinnitus, and vertigo. 
You will experience dizziness, hearing loss that comes and goes, and ringing in your ear. there may be pressure in your ear as well.
Meniere’s disease is a serious disorder that may lead to a permanent hearing loss. Besides, there’s no permanent treatment to cure this disease. Thus, you should ask for medical attention to treat related symptoms.
While on medication, you can also try some essential oils to reduce dizziness, nausea, and other symptoms.
Here, you will learn the use of some essential oils for Meniere’s disease that may help you cope with these symptoms.
Remember, these essential oils are alternative treatments for Meniere’s disease. They will not completely cure your disease.
You must ask your doctor before using them. It will help you to avoid further complications.
Essential Oils for Meniere’s Disease That May Relieve The Symptoms
1. Basil Oil
This essential oil originates from the famous herb basil. People use the parts of the plant to make medicines. 
Basil oil contains antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. These components can calm your brain and soothe depression.
Its anti-septic effects can help reduce vertigo symptoms and dizziness.
How to use basil oil for Meniere’s disease:
- Add 10-12 drops of basil oil in a bowl of hot water.
- Take a towel or a piece of cloth and cover your head with it and place it over the bowl. Breathe in.
- If you are not comfortable with steam, you can also use a diffuser.
2. Bergamot Oil
A lovely scented oil that comes from citrus fruit. Bergamot oil is a popular choice in aromatherapy to reduce anxiety. 
Learn how to use bergamot oil for Meniere’s disease:
- Pour a few drops of bergamot oil in a diffuser and let the aroma calm your mind.
3. Peppermint Oil
The oil can ease nausea and dizziness. It can also relieve vertigo, a major side effect of Meniere’s disease.
Try these peppermint oil recipe to soothe Meniere’s disease symptoms:
- Pour some peppermint oil in a diffuser and inhale the aroma.
- You can also put some oil in a cotton pad and inhale.
Read More: Peppermint Oil for Hair : 8 Reasons to Use
4. Frankincense Oil
Frankincense is a gum-like resin obtained from the Boswellia tree. The essential oil is quite famous for its varied uses. 
Frankincense oil can help fight anxiety and balance your vestibular system. It can also reduce the symptoms of vertigo and ear infections. It’s because oil has anti-inflammatory properties.
Here’s how you may use frankincense oil for Meniere’s disease:
- Add a drop of frankincense oil in a cotton ball and place it in the upper part of your outer ear. Use tape to keep it in place.
- Take a few drops of frankincense oil and rub it into your temples and neck.
- Add a few drops of frankincense oil to a diffuser an inhale the aroma.
5. Ginger Oil
Ginger oil is a popular remedy for relieving nausea. But it’s also quite effective in reducing vertigo and dizziness. It’s because oil can increase the blood flow to your brain.
If you have nausea and diarrhea due to Meniere’s disease, a ginger oil tea may soothe your symptoms. Also, massaging the oil may also relieve you from stiff neck due to Meniere’s hearing loss.
Some simple ways to use ginger oil for Meniere’s disease:
- Rub 1-2 drops of ginger oil behind your ears and the nape of your neck.
- Put a few drops of this essential oil in a diffuser and inhale the aroma to soothe anxiety.
- In a cup of warm water add 2 drops of ginger oil. Drink this tea to calm your stomach.
6. Lavender Oil
It’s one of the most famous essential oils. It’s because the oil’s therapeutic properties can treat so many ailments.
How to use lavender oil for Meniere’s disease:
- Add a little amount of lavender oil into your diffuser and inhale.
- Add 1-2 drops of this essential oil to your pillow to improve your sleep.
Note: Some people may have an allergy to its aroma. They are highly recommended not to use this oil.
7. Clary Sage Oil
Clary sage oil has an important role in Meniere’s management. It can reduce symptoms of vertigo and settle the over-active nervous systems. The oil is also great for seizures and hysteria.
Clary sage oil can relax your nervous system and reduce anxiety and depression. 
The oil can also help reduce the digestion disorder you may have due to Meniere’s disease.
Learn how you can use clary sage oil to reduce Meniere’s symptoms:
- Add a few drops of clary sage oil to a bowl of hot water or a diffuser. Deeply inhale the vapors.
- Blend this oil with a carrier oil and massage your chest with it.
8. Rosemary Oil
Rosemary oil originates from the popular herb rosemary. The oil is quite popular for its wide array of therapeutic properties. 
Rosemary oil can reduce depression, migraine headache, dizziness, and fatigue. If you have a headache triggered by Meniere, this oil can help soothe the symptoms. The oil is also good in improving memory. 
Try this rosemary oil recipe for Meniere’s disease:
- Add 3-4 drops of rosemary oil in hot water. Cover your head with a towel or cloth and inhale the vapor.
- You may also add some of this oil to a diffuser and inhale the aroma.
9. Tangerine Oil
Tangerine essential oil is quite effective in relieving headaches, migraines, dizziness, and vertigo. The oil is rich in antibacterial, antifungal, and antioxidative properties. 
Tangerine oil helps the red blood cells to keep oxygen. Thus it can reduce spasms. Its citrusy smell also helps you get rid of tensions and to relax.
How to use tangerine oil for Meniere’s disease:
- Add 2-4 drops of tangerine oil to a cup of tea or warm water and drink.
- Put a few drops of this oil in a bowl of hot water or a diffuser and inhale.
Causes and Symptoms of Meniere’s Disease
The actual cause of Meniere’s disease is still unclear. But doctors’ think it’s because of the abnormality of the fluid collection in the inner ear. 
There are fluid inside a part of your ear that aids in balance and hearing. The fluid is called the labyrinth.
If there’s abnormality or abundance of the fluid, it may interfere with the signals your brain usually receives. This condition may lead to hearing loss, vertigo, etc.
Some factors That may cause the excess fluid:
- Viral infection
- Poor drainage
- Allergic reactions
- Autoimmune response
As Meniere’s disease is a progressive disorder, it will gradually become worse. The symptoms include:
- Hearing loss
- Blurry vision
- Cold sweat
- Rapid pulse
Things to Remember When Using Essential Oils for Meniere’s Symptoms
- Some essential oils such as tangerine oil and bergamot oil can make your skin photosensitive. Do not go to direct sunlight after applying these oils. If you need to go, use a sunblock lotion.
- Always dilute the oils with a carrier oil before any topical application. Direct application of some oils may irritate your skin.
- You must be very careful while you’re taking the essential oils internally. As the oils are quite potent, you must ask for an expert’s advice before consuming them.
- If you’re pregnant or a nursing mom, always ask your doctor before using these oils.
- If you’re under medications, consult with your doctor before using essential oils. It’s because these oils may react with your medicines.
Is It Necessary to See a Doctor?
Yes, it is! Meniere’s disease is a serious condition and can make your life miserable. The dizziness, nausea will hamper your regular life. Besides, you may have a permanent hearing loss if you are not careful from the beginning.
It’s not possible to get rid of Meniere’s disease. Essential oils may ease some of the related symptoms, but can’t cure the disease. Thus you should make an appointment with your doctor. He/she will diagnose the symptoms and can treat some of the related symptoms.
Meniere’s disease is an incurable, chronic disorder that can take a toll on your life. Its symptoms are quite frustrating. You may find it hard to maintain your regular activities.
But, you can ease some of the related symptoms with early diagnosis. Also, you can use home remedies to reduce some of the symptoms.
These essential oils are quite effective in reducing anxiety, headaches, and vertigo. You may get satisfactory results by using them with proper cautions. But, always ask for expert advice before you these complementary remedies.
Have you ever gone through any symptoms of Meniere’s disease? Let us know how you dealt with them in the comment section.
Read Next: 7 Ways of Using Olive Oil for Ear Infections