Ginger shots are concentrated drinks made with fresh ginger root. This popular beverage may also contain other ingredients such as lemon or orange juice, turmeric, cayenne pepper, and manuka honey.
Depending on the recipe, the ingredients may vary. You can make ginger shots at home or find them at juice bars. They are also available pre-made at different health food stores.
Due to the high concentration of ginger, this beverage is quite spicy, and the taste may not be pleasant. However, ginger shots are claimed to provide numerous health benefits, starting from warding off some illness to improve your immune system.
Keep reading if you want to know whether gingers shots are beneficial for you, the downsides, and how you can make them at home.
Benefits of Ginger Shots
While there are numerous studies that support the benefits of ginger, there is limited research on the ginger shots.
The potential benefits of ginger shots discussed here are mostly based on the research conducted on high-dose ginger supplements. It’s not sure whether this beverage can offer you the same benefits.
Following are some of the benefits you may get by drinking ginger shots:
1. Ginger Shots May Ease Digestive Issues.
Ginger is a popular remedy for some digestive problems, such as bloating, indigestion, nausea, etc.
A recent study shows that ginger supplements may help improve digestion, reduce intestinal cramping, and bloating by increasing the movement of food through your stomach. 
Nausea and vomiting is a common problem among pregnant women, which may be relieved by using supplements like ginger shots.
A clinical trial conducted on 120 pregnant women demonstrates that those who received 750 mg of ginger daily for four days showed better results in relieving nausea and vomiting than a control group. 
2. It Has Potent Antioxidants and Anti-inflammatory Properties.
The ingredients in ginger shots such as ginger, lemon juice, and turmeric are rich in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties.
Some studies based on animal subjects and test-tube reveal that the anti-inflammatory components of the ginger extract can reduce the symptoms of arthritis, asthma, inflammatory gut disease, and even cancer. [7, 8, 9]
A 2014 study conducted on male athletes reveals that receiving 1.5 grams of ginger powder daily for six weeks could reduce the levels of some inflammatory markers better than the placebo groups. 
3. Ginger Shots May Boost Your Immunity.
While acute inflammation is important for your immunity, chronic inflammation can actually damage your immune system, eventually leading you towards illness. 
Regular consumption of antioxidant-rich foods, such as ginger shots may boost your immunity and fight inflammation.
Honey and lemon are common ingredients in ginger shots that may also enhance your immune health. Both of them have antibacterial and antiviral properties that help fight infections and other diseases. [16, 17, 18]
4. It Can Aid in Weight Loss.
Most of the ingredients in ginger shots are individually known for their contribution to weight loss.
5. Ginger Shots May Reduce Blood Sugar Level.
If you are suffering from diabetes, drinking one ounce of ginger shots daily may help reduce your blood sugar level.
According to a 2015 research, ginger supplements can decrease blood sugar levels. It also reveals ginger’s ability to improve hemoglobin A1c, a marker of long-term blood sugar control. 
Lemon is rich in vitamin C that can reduce the risks of type-2 diabetes. 
Ginger Shots: Side Effects & Risk Factors
Ginger shots are usually considered safe. However, you might experience some adverse effects if you consume them in a high amount. Hence, you must follow some precautions:
- Ginger may have blood-thinning effects. So if you are already taking any medications for blood thinning, you need to avoid ginger shots.
- Consuming a large amount of ginger may drastically reduce your blood sugar level, particularly if you’re under medications for diabetes.
- You have to avoid ginger shots if you’re allergic to ginger. 
- Some people use fruit juice, such as orange juice to reduce the spiciness of ginger shots. Regular consumption of these shots may increase your blood sugar level.
How to Make Ginger Shots
While ginger shots can be purchased from health food stores or juice bars, making them at home can also be a fun experience.
Making ginger shots are quite easy. All you need a few ginger roots, turmeric, lemon juice, honey, and a blender.
- Take 1/4 cup of peeled ginger root with 1/4 cup of fresh lemon juice.
- Blend them on high speed until the mixture becomes cloudy.
- Strain the juice and store it in your refrigerator.
- Based on your choice, you can also mix fruit juice, turmeric, and honey. However, be careful about your sugar intake when mixing fruit juice and honey.
Ginger shots are quite popular worldwide as a wellness beverage. As the shots contain ingredients that have numerous heal benefits, drinking them may help you in several ways.
However, there is a lack of studies on the benefits of concentrated ginger. More research is required to prove the efficacy of ginger shots.
Instead of going for pre-made ginger shots that may contain added sugar, it’s highly suggested that you make your healthy ginger shots at home.