Pomegranate is full of medicinal and nutritious properties. 
The fruit is widely cultivated in Southeast Asia, Mediterranean region, and in some parts of the United States .
Doctors and medical practitioners confirm the therapeutic values of pomegranate. According to many studies pomegranate is good for prevention of cancer, heart disease, diabetes, male infertility, obesity, skin damage, and much more .
This article reviews the nutritional values and some of the research-based health benefits of pomegranate.
Key Nutrient Facts
Pomegranate is a nutritional powerhouse that contains plenty of essential nutrients such as vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
It is a good source of vitamin C. It has enough calories for energy expenditure, and a small amount of fat and sodium.
The list below contains nutritional information based on a 100-gram serving of pomegranate. The percentage values are for a 2,000 calorie diet.
- Calories 83
- Fat 2 g
- Cholesterol 0
- Sodium 3 mg
- Protein 7 g
- Dietary fiber 4 g
- Carbs 19 g
- Sugar 14 g
- Potassium 236 mg
- Calcium 1%
- Vitamin C 17%
- Vitamin B6 5%
- Magnesium 3%
- Iron 1%
19 Health Benefits of Pomegranate
1. Pomegranate May Protect Against Colon Cancer.
Colon cancer is more common than you think.
The fact is, it is the third most common cancer, according to the World Cancer Research Fund International.
You can protect yourself from this cancer that typically starts as a polyp in a gland in the colon with the use of pomegranate .
Its polyphenols are pointed out as responsible for pomegranate’s ability to inhibit spread of cancer cell lines from 30 to 100 percent .
These polyphenols include punicalagin, ellagic acid and ellagitannin .
Another study published in the Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry stated that this fruit works as an anti-cancer agent by preventing “inflammatory cell signaling” in the cancer cells in the colon .
Its inhibitory effects also work on oral and prostate cancer cells .
- Pomegranate contains polyphenols that work against the cancer cells in the colon.
- It’s also active against cancer cells that form in the mouth and prostate.
2. Pomegranate May Prevent and Treat Prostate Cancer.
The American Cancer Society predicts that there will be more than 180,000 new diagnoses for prostate cancer this year that may possibly result in over 26,000 deaths.
This type of cancer starts in the prostate gland, a gland that’s shaped like a walnut, in charge of producing seminal fluid for the sperm, explains Mayo Clinic.
A good way to protect oneself from prostate cancer is by drinking pomegranate juice before bed daily.
In 2006, patients with prostate cancer were given eight ounces of pomegranate juice every day for 54 months .
By the time the treatment period was over, there was a 12 percent reduction in cancer cell proliferation, and 17 percent increase in cancer cell death .
The conclusion reached was that regular intake of pomegranate or its juice could significantly reduce the risk of cancer in the prostate, thanks to its high concentration of cancer-fighting phytochemicals .
American researchers, meanwhile, have also found that pomegranate can efficiently suppress the activities of even the “highly aggressive” prostate cancer cells .
- Pomegranate fights cancer in the prostate with its powerful antioxidants called phytochemicals.
- It may work against highly aggressive cancer cells in the prostate.
3. Pomegranate May Reduce Risk of Breast Cancer.
Breast cancer is one of the most common causes of death in women worldwide.
It’s important to detect breast cancer early for better chances of survival and recovery.
To prevent this cancer, it’s also best to eat antioxidant-rich fruits like pomegranate.
Clinical data from Korean research shows that the polyphenols in pomegranate juice can inhibit aromatase activity by up to 80 percent .
Aromatase activity is linked to breast cancer formation .
Oil extracted from pomegranate, meanwhile, can prevent spread of cancer cells by 90 percent, and invasion by 75 percent .
- Early intervention is key in treating and recovering from breast cancer.
- Polyphenols in a pomegranate can help combat cancer cells in the breast by inhibiting aromatase activity.
- It can also inhibit growth and spread of cancer cells in the breast.
4. Pomegranate May Ward off Skin Cancer.
Did you know that there are more skin cancer cases than lung, breast, colon, and prostate cancers combined ?
Most skin cancers are linked to excessive exposure from the ultraviolet radiation from the sun .
One way to reduce the risk of this form of cancer is by eating pomegranate or drinking pomegranate juice.
In a 2005 study conducted in Wisconsin, USA, mice that were pre-treated with pomegranate extract had a fewer incidence of skin tumors compared to those that were not .
Results confirm that this fruit has anti skin tumor effects .
In another study, two groups of mice with skin cancer were treated with 5 percent pomegranate oil .
Not only did pomegranate extract reduce the number of tumors, but it also prevented it from multiplying and spreading .
Findings indicate that pomegranate is a “safe and effective chemopreventive agent” for skin cancer .
- Reduce skin cancer risk with pomegranate, which has a chemopreventive agent and anti-skin tumor effects.
- It can reduce the number of tumors, as well as prevent cancer cells from multiplying and spreading.
5. Pomegranate Can Protect Heart Health.
Protect your heart and reduce the risk of heart disease with pomegranate.
Atherosclerosis refers to the buildup of plaque in the arteries that typically leads to coronary heart disease .
It is confirmed that drinking pomegranate juice before bed can do so much in improving the condition of people with coronary heart disease .
- Pomegranate helps protect the heart by lowering the levels of bad cholesterol in the bloodstream and preventing the buildup of plaque in the arteries.
6. Pomegranate Can Keep Blood Pressure Levels in Check.
It is estimated that by 2025, over 1.5 billion people will be diagnosed with hypertension .
Also called high blood pressure, hypertension is the condition in which the blood flow has a more significant force than usual .
Because this condition can cause heart disease and other serious ailments, it’s essential to maintain proper levels of blood pressure with the help of foods like pomegranate.
- Pomegranate can help maintain blood pressure levels, reducing the risk of heart disease and other severe conditions.
7. Pomegranate May Help Manage Diabetes.
This metabolic disorder is characterized by excessively high blood sugar levels caused by the body’s inability to produce or utilize insulin, as explained by the National Health Services.
Insulin is the hormone responsible for regulating blood sugar levels .
Researchers from Israel investigated the effects of pomegranate juice on diabetic patients .
In this clinical trial, 10 healthy participants and 10 diabetic patients were asked to take in 50 milliliters of pomegranate juice per day for three months .
Even though the juice did not have any effect on the serum glucose and cholesterol levels, it did reduce serum lipid peroxides by up to 56 percent .
- Pomegranate can be used as an alternative therapy for people with diabetes with its antioxidant and anti-diabetic effects.
8. Pomegranate Can Prevent Alzheimer’s Disease.
Medical News Today reports that one person develops Alzheimer’s disease every 67 seconds.
That’s how common this problem is, but the good news is, there are ways to delay its onset or prevent it altogether.
Polyphenols in pomegranate have been found to have neuroprotective effects .
Results of this 2006 study confirm that these mechanisms make pomegranate a valuable treatment for Alzheimer’s disease .
- Alzheimer’s disease is a type of dementia that causes memory loss and inability to function normally.
- Pomegranate is packed with polyphenols that have neuroprotective properties and can help treat this disease.
9. Pomegranate is a Good Remedy for Gastric Ulcer.
Gastric ulcer is not caused by spicy foods, contrary to popular belief.
This painful condition, which causes abdominal cramping and discomfort, can be remedied with pomegranate.
An Indian study conducted in 2005 revealed that pomegranate has great gastroprotective properties due to its high concentration of antioxidants .
A 70 percent extract derived from the fruit rind or peel of pomegranate inhibited gastric ulcer by about 20 percent .
- With its high levels of antioxidants, pomegranates can efficiently kill the cause of the gastric ulcer, which is the Helicobacter pylori bacterium.
10. Pomegranate Can Help Resolve Male Infertility.
Pomegranate has been used since the ancient times to cure infertility.
Today, there’s enough scientific proof to support this ancient practice.
In a 2008 study published in the Clinical Nutrition Journal, 28 adult male rats were given either distilled water or distilled water with pomegranate juice in different doses every day for seven weeks .
It was stated in the conclusion that consumption of pomegranate has a positive impact on sperm motility and concentration .
It was also found to enhance the levels of testosterone hormones .
- Male infertility can be resolved with frequent intake of pomegranate, which studies have found to improve sperm count and boost testosterone levels.
11. Pomegranate is Good For Sexual Performance, Erectile Dysfunction, and Fertility.
Pomegranate juice may boost the testosterone levels or sex hormones in both men and women. Thus, the fruit can improve your sex drive and sexual performance.
Researchers in Queen Margaret University in Edinburgh, has carried out a study among 58 healthy men and women aged between 21- 64. 
The participants drank a glass of pomegranate juice daily for 2 weeks. After the study period, the participants showed increased sexual desires due to raising testosterone levels.
The high testosterone in men manifested in more facial hair, sexual urge, and a deep voice. The pomegranate juice produced testosterone in female ovaries and adrenal glandes and had strengthened bones, muscles, and sexual drive. 
Oxidative stress is the imbalance between free radicals and anti-oxidant defenses of your body. The blood-red juice of pomegranate has a high concentration of natural antioxidants.
It is evident that oxidative stress or damage can prevent blood flows to different parts of the body. The oxidative stress on erectile tissues may lead to erectile and sperm dysfunction in men. Moreover the stress can decrease the fertility power of women.
Pomegranate juice can work as a natural antioxidant in your body to aid fertility or erectile dysfunction. A study conducted on rabbits showed the ability of pomegranate’s juice in increasing blood flow and erectile function. [40.]
Another research conducted among 53 male participants with mild to moderate erectile dysfunctions showed positive effects of pomegranate juice. The participants went through a 4 week treatment period. 25 patients reported to have benefited from drinking pomegranate juice in curbing erectile dysfunction. [40.]
- With a high antioxidant value, pomegranate juice is a potent aid for fertility, and curing erectile dysfunction.
- Pomegranate juice has a Viagra effect in both men and women. It works as a natural aphrodisiac in raising testosterone level and increasing sexual urge.
12. Pomegranate May Help in Weight Loss.
Trying to lose weight?
Pomegranate can help in your weight loss efforts.
Research conducted at the Tsinghua University in Beijing, China shows that pomegranate has anti-obesity effects .
- Pomegranate juice aids in weight loss by suppressing the appetite, decreasing pancreatic lipase activity, and slowing down energy intake.
13. Pomegranate is a Potent Antibacterial.
Yes, it is true that some bacteria help in bodily functions. This includes bacteria in our gut that helps the digestive process to be better. However, bacteria can do more harm than it can do good.
Harmful bacteria can infect the body and cause serious illness.
Fortunately, there are antibacterial foods like pomegranate, which as research has proven has potent antibacterial effects on various bacterial strains including E. coli, Staphylococcus aureus, and so on .
Another study verified that low concentrations of pomegranate extract delay the growth of bacteria while high levels kill the bacteria .
- The antibacterial properties of pomegranate work on various bacteria types including E. coli, Staphylococcus aureus, and others.
- In low concentrations, it slows down bacterial growth while in high concentrations, it completely destroys the bacteria.
14. Pomegranate Has Antiviral Activity.
You have already known that pomegranate can provide with numerous vitamins and minerals. The antiviral activity of pomegranate is the effects of these essential vitamins. Vitamin C and E in pomegranate can boost your immune defense against a number of viral infections and diseases. Medical research on the lab has proved the significant positive results of pomegranate juice in inhibiting various common viral and bacterial infections.
- Vitamins and minerals in pomegranate juice can improve your immune system to fight off viral diseases.
- Vitamin C and vitamin E in pomegranate can inhibit the growth and development of various viral infections.
15. Pomegranate May Fight Oxidative Stress.
Red wine and green tea have been widely recognized for their high antioxidant concentrations.
But, did you know that pomegranate juice has even more antioxidants?
By preventing free radical damage, you can ward off numerous ailments like diabetes, as well as prevent premature aging.
- Pomegranate contains more antioxidants than green tea and red wine.
- It can neutralize the damage caused by free radicals, and prevent the onset of severe diseases.
- One of the key benefits of pomegranate juice is to slow down the process of aging.
16. Pomegranate May Keep You Looking Young.
If you’d like to preserve your youthful glow, consider using pomegranate.
In a 2006 study published in the Journal of Ethnopharmacology, it was reported that various parts of the fruit—peel, juice, oil extract—can slow down the aging process of the skin .
At the same time, it stimulates the production of collagen .
Moreover, it is rich in antioxidants, which as mentioned earlier, have the ability to neutralize free radical damage that causes the skin to age prematurely.
- Keep your skin looking young and fresh with pomegranate, which is packed with antioxidants that prevent free radical damage.
- It also promotes collagen production as well as skin repair and healing
17. Pomegranate May Help Digestive Health.
Pomegranate peel, seeds, bark, leaves and juice have versatile uses in preventing digestive disorders.
Especially pomegranate juice has the ability to cure gut inflammation such as diarrhea, cholera, dysentery and improve digestion process.
You can boil and make tea out of pomegranate leaves and peels as well. This herbal tea is beneficial to prevent crohn’s disease, ulcer, and many other bowel disorders. 
Pomegranate seeds are rich in B-complex vitamins, fiber, and nutrients for a good digestion of food. You can munch the seeds of pomegranate to unlock this extra health benefits.
The wellness ingredients in pomegranate seeds help the body to convert carbohydrates, fat and protein into energy. The fiber in the seeds help bowel movements and prevents constipation. .
- Pomegranate is full of anti-inflammatory properties, fiber, vitamins and nutrients that help digestion.
- Pomegranate juice, seeds and peel can keep way a number of diseases related to gut and bowel inflammations.
- Medical researches have confirmed the effects of pomegranate seeds for a balanced digestive system.
18. Pomegranate May Cure Arthritis.
Arthritis is a medical term that refers to a number of joint disease or pain. There are over 100 various types of joint disorders that come under arthritis. Anyone can suffer from this disorder. In the U.S.A arthritis is one of the leading causes of physical disability. More than 50 million American adults are victims of some sort of arthritis.
Some of the common symptoms of arthritis is pain, swellings, difficulty in motion and stiffness of joints. Pomegranate is a natural cure for arthritis related joint pains and inflammations. The active flavonols in the fruit may inhibit the damage of joint and muscle cartilage. Thus, pomegranate juice is an effective home remedy for osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
- The natural flavonoids in pomegranate juice may help relieve osteoarthritis, joint pains and related inflammations.
19. Pomegranate is a Rich Source of Vitamins.
Vitamins are the most important nutrients for maintain a good health. Pomegranate can fill the needs of these vital nutrients for the body naturally. Pomegranate is rich in Vitamin C, E, K, and minerals such as potassium and folate.
The health experts recommend that you add pomegranate juice to your daily meals. It is also advisable that you don’t use sugar with it and try to consume 100% organic and fresh pomegranate juice.
- Vitamins are essential for your physical well being. Pomegranate juice is a natural source of a number of health beneficial vitamins and minerals.
In case it is difficult for you to get pure pomegranate juice, you may look for pomegranate supplements.
Pomegranate supplements come in the forms of powder, pomegranate pills, tablets, or capsules. These supplements contain pomegranate extracts and are easily available at health food stores.
According to nutritionists you may consume not more than 40 grams of pomegranate supplement per day. It is recommended that you consult a medical professional to learn about the appropriate dosage of using any of these supplements. Remember, these supplements may interact with any medications you are taking right now. These are also to be avoided in case you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Some Q& A About Pomegranate
Q. Is there any risk of using Pomegranate?
Yes. There may a few risks. Firstly, pomegranate juice may interfere with certain prescription drugs, like medications that treat high cholesterol and such. So, consult your doctor if you are under such medicine before using pomegranate.
Pomegranate juice has high sugar content. So if you are eating too much pomegranate then your blood sugar may increase.
Q. Can pomegranate be eaten if I am suffering from low blood pressure?
Pomegranate is known for lowering blood pressure. If you already have low blood pressure, then it is best not to eat a pomegranate.
Q. I am under certain medication for a liver problem. Can I eat a pomegranate?
Pomegranate has certain enzymes that may hinder the activity of your liver. If you are on any medication for your liver, then it is best not to eat pomegranates.
Nutritionists and medical experts equally confirm of the remarkable benefits of pomegranate.
You can eat pomegranate aril, seed, or drink pomegranate juice to stay healthy.
Regular consumption of pomegranate may reduce the risk of various forms of cancer, heart disease, bacterial or viral conditions and keep your health in top condition.