Massaging your scalp with coconut oil is an effective method to have healthy and lustrous hair.
Coconut oil contains a number of nutrients that help strengthen your hair, remove dandruff, moisturize the scalp, reduce hair fall, and protect it from UV damage, etc.
However, removing the coconut oil from hair can be a bit struggling if you put so much oil on your scalp. Sometimes, the oil remains in the hair giving it a greasy look even after shampooing and conditioning.
Don’t worry. You can still get coconut oil out of hair using some available ingredients at your home without ruining the health and quality of your hair.
Read on to explore some simple and effective ways to remove the coconut oil from your hair.
Remember, coconut oil is meant to protect and strengthen your hair and scalp. You should only remove it when you’re sure the purpose of the oil is done.
How to Get coconut Oil Out of Hair?
Here are some of the simple methods that you can try to remove the excess oil from your hair:
1. Baking Soda
Baking soda reacts with the coconut oil and creates a bond with it. But, it doesn’t stick to the hair firmly, which makes it easier for the oil to get removed.
Baking soda can easily remove coconut oil and dirt build up from your hair, giving it a smooth and shiny look.
How to use baking soda to get coconut oil out of hair:
- Take 3-4 tablespoons of baking soda and add water to make a paste.
- Apply the paste to all over your scalp and hair and cover it.
- Wait for 15 minutes before washing it off with lukewarm water.
2. Lemon Juice
Lemon is high in citric acids that help it cut through the dirt and oil on your hair and skin, making them easier to remove.
A simple method of using lemon juice to remove cconut oil from hair:
- Squeeze two lemons and add two cups of water in the juice.
- Add three tablespoons of honey in it.
- Gently massage the hair and scalp with the mixture and wait for a few minutes.
- Rinse it off with lukewarm water.
3. Dry Shampoo
Dry shampoo can be a great tool to soak up the oil and remove dirt from hair and scalp. It is just like a body talk made for use on your scalp.
It can be a quick fix if you’re in a hurry and don’t have time for washing your hair.
Here’s how you may use dry shampoo to wash the oil out of your hair:
- Sprinkle about a tablespoon of dry shampoo onto your scalp and wait for five minutes.
- Use a comb to brush the hair. Put some of the dry shampoos on every pass.
- Continue the process until the oil gets out of your hair.
4. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera can be a good choice for removing coconut oil if you have a sensitive scalp.
It is quite mild and soothing to your skin. Besides, aloe vera is rich in antioxidants, minerals, vitamins, and enzymes.
These properties help kep your scalp and hair healthy and shiny while removing excess oil.
Try this method of using alo ver to remove excess oil from the hair:
- Take a teaspoon of fresh aloe vera gel and mix it with a mild shampoo.
- Add a teaspoon of lemon juice in it.
- Apply the mixture to your hair and let it sit for 15 minutes.
- Wash it off like normal shampoo with lukewarm water.
5. Black Tea
When applied topically, black tea can works like an astringent, thanks to the tannic acid it contains.
Black tea can prevent the buildup of excess oil on the hair and scalp. You can also use this tea on your hair for tremendous hair growth.
How to use black tea to get the coconut oil out of hair:
- Take two cups of water in a bowl and add one tsp of black tea leaves in it.
- Boil the water for ten minutes.
- Strain the tea leaves and let the tea cool down.
- Apply it to your hair and scalp and let it sit for 5-10 minutes before rinsing it off with lukewarm water.
READ ALSO: 26 Surprising Health Benefits of Black Tea
Eggs are rich in proteins that are good for your health, as well as for your hair.
Eggs can prevent the protein loss on your hair strands while removing extra oil and dirt. You will end up with a cleaner, stronger, and shinier hair.
A simple method to use egg to wash the coconut oil from your hair:
- take 2-3 eggs and beat them in a cut. Add four tablespoons of water in it.
- Massage your scalp and hair with the mixture and wait for 5-10 minutes.
- Wash off your hair with lukewarm or cold water.
Note: Do not use hot water to wash your hair as it may coagulate all the egg protein and create a mess.
7. Fuller’s Earth
Fuller’s earth is a clay material that can effectively absorb excess oil from scalp.
Besides, it has the ability to decontaminate the skin from any toxic substance. Applying it to the scalp can also stimulate the blood circulation, making your hair healthy and strong.
Here’s how you may use fuller’s earth to get coconut oil out of hair:
- Take three tablespoons of fuller earth and add water to make a thick paste.
- Apply the paste to your scalp and hair.
- Leave it for 15-20 minutes and then wash it off with lukewarm water.
The acidic properties of tomato help remove the excess oil from your scalp and balance its pH level.
Tomato is rich in antioxidants, which can be beneficial for your health, as well as your skin.
Try this simple method of using tomato to remove coconut oil from hair:
- Take the puree from one tomato and add one tsp of fuller earth in it.
- Apply the mixture to your scalp and hair.
- Let it sit for 30 minutes before rinsing off with cold water.
The alcohol content in vodka can effectively and immediately remove excess oil from your hair.
Apart from being a great tonic for oily hair, vodka may also keep your scalp healthy.
How you can remove coconut oil from hair using vodka:
- Take a cup of vodka and dilute it with two cups of water.
- After shampooing, use this mixture to rinse off your hair.
- Wait for 5-10 minutes before washing it off with water.
Oily hair looks extremely unhealthy, dirty, and unprofessional to go out with.
Besides, too much oil on your scalp can block the pores, resulting in itching and other scalp diseases.
That’s why it’s important to wash off the excess oil from your hair. However, you’re highly recommended to massage your scalp with coconut oil at least twice a week to keep it healthy.
Instead of using chemical infused products available in the market, you can use any of the above mentioned product to naturally remove oil from your hair.