A boil is an infection on your skin. The bacteria responsible for this disease are Staphylococcus aureus. (1)
These bacteria enter into your body through the oil glands, hair follicle and small cuts on your skin. You get a boil in sweaty areas like face, underarms, breasts, thighs, and buttocks.
Boils are contagious. When several boils form a group on your skin, it is called a carbuncle.
Here are some common signs of a boil: (2)
- A boil begins to form with a red and soft head on your skin.
- Slowly it builds pus in its center with white blood cells, bacteria, and protein. It enlarges and becomes whitish in appearance.
- The outer surface becomes hard and painful to touch.
- You may feel an itchy sensation as well.
The following reasons make you vulnerable to this skin infection: (3)
- Poor hygiene
- Poor immune system
- Poor nutrition
- Friction from tight clothing
- Exposure to harsh chemicals
The traditional methods of treating boils are draining the pus out and using antibiotics. However, these medicines have the backlash of side effects.
If you want to treat boil at home with some natural, quick and cost-effective way; this article is for your help. In this article, you’ll learn some top natural remedies to cure boils overnight and get back a flawless skin.
In this article you’ll learn about:
- 12 home remedies to Get Rid of Boils Overnight
- Some Preventive Measures for Boils
10 Home Remedies to How to get rid of boils Overnight
If you leave a boil untreated, it’ll take more than a week to drain out the pus and heal. But it’s stoic to sport ugly and painful boils on your skin for that long.
Here are some speedy and straightforward remedies for boils that you can apply at home.
Let’s get to know about them.
It looks like onions are nothing to cry over. These flavored bulbs in your kitchen are full of healthy nutrients.
Onions contain over 25 active properties like vitamin C, Sulphur, phytochemicals, potassium, and flavonoids.
The antiseptic and antimicrobial properties of onion can disinfect any skin inflammations. (4)
The exciting part is that onion can act as a natural irritant. It can force the eruption of a boil and ooze out the plus to relief pain.
- Cut an onion into a thick round slice.
- Place the slice of onion on your boil.
- Block the heat from going out by wrapping a piece of cloth on it.
- Leave it for 3-4 hours before changing it with a fresh slice.
- Repeat the process 3-4 times daily and drain out the boil successfully
Note: Choose a red onion for the best result in to get rid of boil overnight.
Also Read: Top 13 Essential Oils for Inflammation & How to Use Them
Garlic may stink and sting but has some strong medicinal values. Allicin and ajoene are sulfur deposits in garlic that can efficiently cure boils.
A 2014-study proves that garlic juice has a powerful effect in fighting Staphylococcus aureus, the infection responsible for boils. (5)
Below you have a no-fail garlic remedy for boils and will get the answer of how to get rid of boils overnight.
- Make a garlic paste crushing 2-3 garlic cloves with 2 teaspoons of of olive oil.
- Apply the paste on the boil like a layer and wrap it with a medical tape or gauze.
- Let the garlic paste work on the boil.
- After 2-3 hours, you can replace it with fresh garlic paste.
- Repeat this process 3 times a day, until the boil bursts and the pus is out.
Note: You can consume raw garlic as a medical supplement with your meals daily.
3. Warm Water Compresses
A warm water compress can significantly relieve the pain and itchiness of your boils. As your boils develop into pus-filled balloons, they become whitish in appearance.
A warm compress softens the hard outer-layer of the boils and speeds up their bursting process.
Thus, it can ooze out the pus from developed boils and heal them fast.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of salt with 3-4 liters of boiling water.
- Soak a washcloth in the water and strain it.
- Place the wet and warm washcloth on your boils for 10 minutes.
- Repeat the process thrice a day.
Note: Never pop your boils with a needle. It may worsen the infection.
While applying this method, your boils may burst and pus ooze out of them. In that case, use a mild soap to wash off the pus thoroughly.
If you have some alcohol at home, you can rub it on your pus-drained boils. The alcohol can disinfect the affected skin.
Also Read: 10 Nourishing Home Remedies for Dry Skin & How to Use Them)
Neem or Indian lilac has a long legacy of healing in Ayurvedic tradition. Different parts of neem tree have more than 140 active medicinal components.
Neem leaves-paste is an excellent remedy for treating boils. The leaves have antibiotic, anti-inflammatory and antifungal properties to fight the infection of boils. (6)
- Grind a handful of neem leaves with 4 tablespoons of water to make a paste.
- Apply the paste to your boils as a thin layer.
- Leave the paste on until it dries off.
- Carefully wash off with water
- Repeat the process 3-4 times a day
5. Apple Cider Vinegar
The good old apple cider vinegar never fails to heal you. It is a panacea for home remedies. ACV is rich in vitamins, enzymes, acetic, malic, citric acids and various amino acids (7).
These compounds make ACV a robust anti-bacterial tonic to heal boils overnight. ACV also works like alcohol to disinfect and cleanse the boil affected skin after the pus has drained off.
It restores the affected skin or spot left by boils as well.
Process 1: Water diluted ACV for draining the boils
- Dilute some ACV with water and make a solution.
- Soak a cotton ball in the solution to apply it on the boils.
- Repeat the process 3-4 times a day until boils burst and drain.
Process 2: ACV with honey for restoring the affected skin
- Create a mixture adding an equal amount of both ACV and honey
- Apply the mixture to the infected skin
- leave it for 15-20 minutes
- wash off with water
- Repeat the process thrice daily
- A regular application of this method will surely remove the boil spots from your skin
Also Read: How Apple Cider Vinegar Can Help You Get Rid of Your Acne
You’ll be surprised to know that turmeric has a long history of Indian culinary and Ayurvedic history.
The health benefits of this herbal root come from its most active compound- curcumin 1.
A 2015 medical journal on curcumin reveals some fascinating facts about curcumin 1; present in turmeric.
It shows that curcumin 1 has strong antibacterial potency against four different types of infections, including Staphylococcus aureus. (8)
So, you can be cocksure about the success of this method to heal your boils.
- Add some water to 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder to make a thick paste.
- Apply the paste on your boils and cover them with medical tape or bandage.
- Keep it on for 30 minutes before you wash it off with water.
- Repeat the process thrice a day until your boils are healed.
Note: Alternatively, you can drink milk adding a teaspoon of turmeric powder to it. It’ll boost your immune system against the infection and heal you from inside.
7. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree essential oil has become a popular alternative remedy for many illnesses in recent times. No wonder, the Australian aborigines have been using this healing oil for the last 100 years.
There are active anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory properties in tea tree oil. These make it an ideal agent to fight off staphylococcus aureus-the boil infection.
Researchers published journals on the anti-bacterial compound in tea tree oil from 1940 onwards. They found tea tree oil 11 times more potent as a disinfectant than other essential oils. (9)
Let’s know this home remedy for curing your boils.
- Rinse the infected skin using a mild soap and warm water.
- Soak the cotton ball in some tea tree oil.
- Apply it to your boils and cover it using a bandage for 2 hours.
- Repeat the process thrice a day, and your boils will heal in no time.
8. Black Cumin Seeds or black seeds
Black cumin or black seeds come from the miraculous herb Nigella Steiva. Father of modern medicine Avicenna, mentions its medicinal values in his ‘The Canon of Medicine.’
Black seeds can treat disorders of the respiratory system, kidney, heart, digestive tract, liver and immune system.
Notably, it is a master in treating skin infections. An active component Thymoquinone is antifungal to cure skin infections.
Moreover, a medical journal published in 2013, reports the antimicrobial, antioxidant, and anti-inflammatory properties of black seeds. These can ward off your boils overnight. (10)
Follow the simple method below to get rid of boils using black seeds.
- Make a black cumin paste by grinding some seeds with few drops of water.
- Apply the paste on the boils and leave it for a couple of hours.
- Wash it off.
- Alternatively, you can add ½ teaspoon of black seed oil to your tea or coffee.
- You can season your food with black cumin powder to boost your immune system.
9. Milk and bread
Are you surprised at the heading- milk, and bread?
Yes, this favorite breakfast combo can cure your boils as well.
It is a proven fact that milk has powerful antibacterial proteins such as lactoferrin, lysozyme, and lactoperoxidase (11). These are beneficial in treating your boils.
Bread is a traditional remedy for many skin disorders. It is soothing to the irritations of your boils. Bread can empty the pus pockets of your boils and speed up the healing process.
- Heat 1 cup of milk.
- Add 3 tablespoons of salt and a few bread crumbs to it and stir well until it’s a thick mixture.
- When the mixture is mildly warm apply it on the affected skin.
- Repeat this remedy 3-4 times a day for speedy recovery.
10. Bacon Fat
Bacon is another breakfast item that you can make use of to treat boils.
It’s a quick and straightforward method to naturally heat up the boils and force it to burst and drain the pus. Once the discharge is out of the boils, your pain and irritation will cease in 2-3 days.
- Take a piece of bacon and place the fat part on your boil
- Cover it with some medical tape or gauze and leave it overnight
- Next morning you’ll find a pus-drained boil
- Use a mild soap and alcohol to clean the infected skin area
Some Preventive Measures for Boils
- Staphylococcus aureus is a highly contagious infection. The pus from one boil may contaminate other parts of your body and people you come across. So, take extra care and practice hygiene. (12)
- Use a liquid sanitizer to wash your hands every time you touch your boils.
- Replace fragrant bathing soap with an antibacterial one.
- Wash your towels and handkerchiefs regularly.
- Don’t needle a boil to release the pus. It may worsen the infection and cause more pain.
- Using a soft brush rub your body while bathing. Do this on a regular basis. It can remove the dead skins and clean the blockage of sweat glands.
- Try to avoid foods with oily and sugary substance when you have a boil attack.
- Consume foods that are rich in vitamin A, C, and E.
Read Next: 9 Effective Home Remedies for Boils That Actually Work