This “ancient fruit”, which has been used for many years as food and medicine, is known to have a wide range of therapeutic purposes .
Not only is it a good source of energy, it can also prevent and help treat many types of health problems such as heart disease, high blood pressure and diabetes .
Its health benefits can be attributed to the presence of various bioactive compounds in the fruit and seeds .
Key Nutrient Facts
Jackfruit contains calories for energy and very small amounts of fats and cholesterol. At the same time, it is replete with essential nutrients like protein, dietary fiber, vitamin A, B vitamins, vitamin C, calcium, magnesium and zinc that are all necessary for optimal health.
The list below contains nutritional information based on a 100-gram serving of jackfruit.
- Calories 95
- Fat 64
- Protein 72 g
- Carbs 23 g
- Dietary Fiber 5 g
- Sugar 08 g
- Vitamin A 5 ug
- Beta Carotene 61ug
- Lutein Zeaxanthin 157 ug
- Vitamin B1 105 mg
- Vitamin B2 055 mg
- Vitamin B3 92 mg
- Vitamin C 8 mg
- Vitamin E 34 mg
- Calcium 24 mg
- Magnesium 29 mg
- Iron 23 mg
- Phosphorus 21 mg
- Potassium 303 mg
- Zinc 13 mg
We’ve rounded up the top benefits of jackfruit that you should definitely take advantage of.
1. Jackfruit Protects Against Cancer
Each year, more and more people are being diagnosed with cancer.
Characterized by abnormal cellular growth, which eventually spreads to healthy tissues, this condition is known to claim the lives of 8 million people each year, as reported by the Cancer Research UK.
Protect yourself from cancer with the right diet consisting of foods rich in antioxidants like jackfruit.
It is also loaded with vitamin A and beta-carotene, which according to studies, can efficiently ward off oral cavity and lung cancers .
- Cancer is one of the leading causes of death today, killing 8 million people a year.
- This disease, characterized by abnormal growth and spread of cancerous cells, can be prevented with jackfruit.
- Jackfruit is loaded with antioxidants that can prevent damage in the cells.
- It is also rich in vitamin A and beta-carotene, which can help reduce the risk of lung and cavity cancers.
2. Jackfruit Boosts Immunity
Feeling sick all the time?
Jackfruit can help boost immune defense against common ailments.
With a stronger immune resistance, it becomes more difficult for viruses and bacteria to enter the body.
Its high concentration of vitamin C also plays a role in strengthening the body’s immune defense against colds, flu and other infections .
- Keep yourself in top shape with jackfruit, which has antioxidants and vitamin C that can help optimize the body’s immune function and keep common ailments at bay.
3. Jackfruit Promotes Cardiovascular Health
That is why, it is imperative to maintain proper levels of cholesterol at all times.
Lower cholesterol levels by eating foods that are low in fat and cholesterol like jackfruit.
Remember, a healthy diet can do so much in reducing your risk for heart disease.
- Monitor cholesterol levels to make sure that you’re not susceptible to heart disease and other ailments.
- Eating low-fat and low-cholesterol fruits like jackfruit can help in this purpose.
4. Jackfruit Aids in Digestion
If you’re having problems digesting food, jackfruit can come to your rescue.
This exotic fruit is actually loaded with dietary fiber, as what you can see when you open it up.
It promotes proper digestion, preventing bloating and constipation .
When you include it in your daily diet, you’ll notice that you’ll have fewer issues with digestion, and you can enjoy eating delicious foods the same way you did before.
- Digesting food and preventing constipation is much easier when you eat fruits that are rich in dietary fiber.
- Jackfruit is known to prevent digestion-related problems such as constipation, bloating and many others.
5. Jackfruit is Recommended for Diabetics
Diabetes is not a minor ailment that you can simply ignore.
If left untreated, it can lead to many serious complications that you certainly wouldn’t enjoy.
Manage it properly by keeping your blood sugar levels in check.
One of the best natural ways to do that is with jackfruit.
In a 2006 study published in the African Journal of Traditional, Complementary and Alternative Medicines, it was reported that hot water extract from the leaves of jackfruit have strong anti-diabetic and hypoglycemic properties .
Findings show that a dosage of 50 mg/kg body weight was effective in reducing blood sugar levels .
Another study, this time on Journal of Ethnopharmacology, echoed these findings, saying that jackfruit leaves dramatically improved the glucose tolerance of both diabetic and non-diabetic participants .
It’s no wonder, jackfruit is recommended for people suffering from diabetes, a disease characterized by abnormal blood sugar levels due to the body’s inability to produce or use the hormone called insulin.
Even if you haven’t been diagnosed with diabetes, this fruit can still help you maintain proper glucose levels.
- Diabetes is a serious ailment that should be given ample attention.
- A natural way to maintain blood sugar levels is by eating jackfruit.
- Jackfruit can help reduce glucose in the blood, as well as improve glucose tolerance.
6. Jackfruit Can Help Heal Wounds
Did you know that jackfruit can also help the body on the outside and not just from the inside?
Research has shown that jackfruit has powerful wound healing properties .
In this 2009 study published in the Ancient Science of Life Journal, it was found that jackfruit’s leaf extract has wound healing activities similar to Betadine .
This scientific proof justifies the traditional practice of using jackfruit leaves in treating and disinfecting wounds during the ancient times .
It doesn’t only speed up the healing of the wound, but also helps make sure that it does not get infected.
- Jackfruit’s wound healing capability can be compared to the efficacy of Betadine, a common topical solution used for treating wounds.
7. Jackfruit is an Anti-Inflammatory
Contrary to popular belief, inflammation is not entirely bad.
In fact, it is the body’s way of protecting itself against infection.
WebMD explains that the white blood cells cause the body to swell to get rid of harmful invaders like viruses and bacteria.
However, it can become a problem when the inflammatory response is triggered even when there are no foreign microorganisms to fight.
For cases such as this, jackfruit can help. Researchers have proven that jackfruit contains flavonoids that act against the body’s abnormal inflammatory responses .
Flavonoids work by inhibiting the pro-inflammatory enzymes inside the body.
- Jackfruit contains anti-inflammatory flavonoids that can help tone down inflammation in the body.
- This is a good remedy for chronic inflammation that’s not caused by foreign contaminants.
8. Jackfruit Fights Bacterial Infections
Jackfruit has been used since the early years to fight bacterial infections.
Today, its antibacterial properties have been the subject of scientific research.
The compounds in jackfruit work by preventing the formation of the bacteria, as well as their spread to other parts of the body.
- Fight bacterial infections caused by E. coli, Salmonella and Staphylococcus aureus with jackfruit.
- Jackfruit’s active compounds prevent these bacterial strains from growing and spreading inside your body.
9. Jackfruit Improves Skin Health and Delays Skin Aging
Aging is a natural process we cannot escape from.
The problem is, certain environmental factors like pollution and UV radiation can cause the skin to age more quickly than it should .
This can be avoided with a healthy diet of antioxidant-rich foods like jackfruit, which have been found efficient in neutralizing damage caused by overexposure to sun .
Moreover, a 2006 study found that its active compound called artocarpanone can successfully inhibit skin hyperpigmentation, and reduce the appearance of unsightly age spots .
Eating this fruit can help diminish signs of aging such as wrinkles, fine lines, age spots, and more.
You’ll have a fresher and more youthful glow when you consume this fruit more often.
- Although it’s not possible to stop aging altogether, you can reduce skin aging significantly with the help of antioxidant-rich jackfruit that can neutralize free radical damage.
- It can help ward off signs of skin aging such as fine lines, wrinkles, age spots and many others.
10. Jackfruit Promotes Healthy Vision
Having healthy eyesight is important.
To protect your vision, it helps to eat jackfruit more often.
This fruit contains two nutrients that are vital for vision: vitamin A and lutein zeaxanthin.
Vitamin A is a strong antioxidant that protects vision by warding off free radical damage in the eyes .
To keep your eyes healthy and seeing clear, be sure to include jackfruit in your diet.
Doing so will help ward off vision-related problems.
- Jackfruit can help protect your eyesight with vitamin A and lutein zeaxanthin.
- Vitamin neutralizes free radical damage in the eyes while lutein zeaxanthin shields the eyes from UV radiation that can cause macular degeneration and cataract.
11. Jackfruit Keeps Energy Levels Up
Not feeling energetic enough to perform your usual tasks?
Jackfruit can give your body a quick energy boost .
This fruit, as you can see in the nutritional information list, has high amounts of calories and carbohydrates but with very little fat.
All these can help shoot up energy levels without compromising your health.
- For a healthy and natural energy boost, eat jackfruit which is loaded with essential nutrients as well as simple sugars such as sucrose and fructose.
- It can give you the energy that you need without exposing you to harmful chemicals such as those that can be found in energy drinks and products.
12. Jackfruit Maintains Blood Pressure Level
According to Mayo Clinic, high blood pressure is a condition in which the pressure of blood against the arterial walls is strong enough to cause health issues like heart disease.
Many things can be done to maintain proper blood pressure level, and one of these is to supplement with potassium.
And do you know which fruit has lots of potassium?
Yes, you guessed it right, jackfruit!
- Maintaining proper levels of blood pressure is important to prevent serious conditions such as heart disease.
- Potassium is a mineral that can help keep blood pressure in check.
- One fruit that’s a good source of this mineral is jackfruit.
13. Jackfruit is an Effective Remedy for Anemia
As the “most common blood condition” in the United States, anemia affects over 3 million adults .
The main cause of anemia is deficiency in iron, the mineral used by the body to produce red blood cells .
Effective treatment of anemia requires resolving the problem of iron deficiency with the use of iron-rich foods like jackfruit.
In addition, jackfruit has sufficient vitamin C that promotes absorption of iron .
- Jackfruit contains enough iron mineral to ward off anemia.
- It also has vitamin C that helps the body absorb iron more efficiently.
Enjoy the many health benefits of jackfruit without worrying about your health.
It’s one of those foods that are safe to eat, and have no adverse effects on the body.
Just be careful if you have any allergic reactions to jackfruit.