Myrrh oil is derived from a tree that’s native to Yemen and Eastern Somalia called Commiphora .
Throughout history, myrrh oil has been used as perfume, incense and medicine .
Its healing powers have long been recognized in many parts of the world.
WebMD enumerates some of the common issues traditionally resolved with this oil, which include ulcer, cough, asthma, indigestion, arthritis, and cancer.
Let’s find out which of these have been proven by scientific research.
1. Myrrh Oil Has Neuroprotective Effects
Did you know that as you grow older, it’s not only your body that ages?
Your brain also does.
As the brain ages, it finds it more difficult to remember things.
It’s often referred to as “senior moment” when you can’t seem to remember where you’ve placed your keys, or what the name of the person you were just walking to.
Fact is, memory impairment is one of the most common changes that come with brain aging .
To protect yourself from brain deterioration, make use of natural remedies that have neuroprotective properties such as myrrh oil.
It’s never too early to start.
- Myrrh oil can protect the brain by inhibiting the death of brain cells, and thus reducing the risk of memory loss and other brain degenerative diseases.
- It contains sesquiterpenes, which have been found to demonstrate neuroprotective activities.
2. Myrrh Oil Can Help Fight Cancer
Cancer is no laughing matter.
It’s one of the most serious and deadliest ailments among humans.
The World Health Organization (WHO) reports that cancer is one of the leading causes of death in the world.
What’s even more alarming is that cancer rates are expected to rise by up to 70 percent in the next 20 years, reports WHO.
This is even with the advancements in cancer treatment and technology.
This condition, caused by abnormal growth of cells in the body, can fortunately be prevented with the use of anti-cancer remedies .
With its cytotoxic effects, myrrh oil has the ability to kill cancer cells without harming the healthy ones, and inhibit the proliferation of tumors .
The findings obtained from these studies encourage scientists to develop novel anticancer medications that make use of myrrh oil as a key ingredient.
- Cancer occurs when there is an abnormal growth of cells in the body.
- This disease, which kills millions of people every year, is one of the leading causes of death anywhere in the world.
- This potentially fatal condition can be prevented and treated with anti-cancer substances like myrrh oil.
- Myrrh oil works by killing cancerous cells and inhibiting the spread of tumors.
3. Myrrh Oil Can Help Lower Blood Sugar Levels
Have a sweet tooth?
If sugar high has become more of an addiction than a simple occasional treat for you, then you should start monitoring your blood sugar levels.
Excessively high levels of blood sugar caused by the inability of the pancreas to produce or use insulin can result in a condition called diabetes .
Proper diet, exercise and maintenance of ideal weight can help diabetic patients manage their condition .
They are also advised to make use of hypoglycemic natural remedies like myrrh oil.
In a study published in the Egyptian Journal of Hospital Medicine, it was reported that myrrh significantly reduced blood sugar levels in diabetic rats .
Before the researchers were able to reach this conclusion, they injected 30 male albino rats with either myrrh extract or alloxan .
The rats that belonged to the myrrh group recovered more quickly than the other group after 30 days of treatment .
- Diabetes, a metabolic disorder characterized by high blood glucose levels, can be managed more efficiently with hypoglycemic remedies like myrrh oil.
- Myrrh oil antidiabetic properties focus on lowering body weight and blood sugar levels.
4. Myrrh Oil Can Treat Inflammatory Bowel Disease
Having inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) is anything but pleasant.
You’ll have abdominal pain almost all the time, and you’ll feel generally unwell.
It’s no wonder myrrh oil is one of the recommended herbal remedies for inflammatory bowel disease.
- Inflammatory bowel disease causes the intestines to become inflamed.
- Myrrh is one of the most effective natural remedies for this condition, as it possesses anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, antibacterial, and antiphologistic properties.
5. Myrrh Oil Can Reduce Inflammation
Most people look at inflammation as a bad thing.
This isn’t always the case.
In fact, it’s the body’s first line of defense against invaders that may possibly cause an infection.
When harmful pathogens like viruses and bacteria try to invade the body, the white blood cells put up a defense, triggering inflammation to get rid of the foreign substance, explains WebMD.
The only times it becomes a problem is when it is persistent and chronic, or when the immune system attacks healthy issues.
For these cases, it’s important to use natural anti-inflammatory agents like myrrh oil.
Its anti-inflammatory activities were confirmed by Chinese scientists after using the paw edema test in mice that were induced with formalin .
Findings also suggest that it’s an efficient way to ease inflammatory pain .
- Inflammation is actually the body’s protective action against bacteria and viruses.
- When inflammation becomes a problem, it can be toned down using anti-inflammatory agents such as myrrh oil.
6. Myrrh Oil Contains Antioxidant Properties
Wikipedia defines antioxidant as a molecule that prevents the chemical reaction called oxidation, which produces cell-damaging free radicals.
It’s obvious that people should get more of antioxidants, and stay away from things that cause free radical damage inside the body, like pollution for example.
Research featured in the Industrial Crops and Products journal reports that myrrh can be used as a “natural source of antioxidant” .
This means that myrrh oil can help ward off health problems linked to free radical damage.
- Free radicals can increase the risk of serious ailments including cancer, arthritis and heart disease, among others.
- To protect yourself from free radical damage that cause disease, use natural antioxidants like myrrh oil.
7. Myrrh Oil Protects Against Sun Damage
Yes, it’s nice to bask in the wonderful warmth of the sun, and get that golden color on your skin.
Unfortunately, this isn’t without a catch.
Overexposure to sun’s UV radiation doesn’t only cause minor health issues like sunburn, it can also increase the risk of serious ailments such as skin cancer, as reported in Cancer.org.
Here’s the good news: the effects of sun damage can be alleviated with myrrh oil.
This can be attributed to the free radical scavenging activities of this oil .
It’s always better to rely on natural sunscreen instead of using commercial products.
Keep in mind that commercial sunscreen products are replete with chemicals that can harm your health over time.
- Myrrh oil’s antioxidants can help neutralize the skin damage caused by overexposure to UV rays of the sun.
- It saves you from using commercial sunscreen products, which are loaded with harmful chemicals.
8. Myrrh Oil Can Relieve Pain
When you’re in pain, you’re not comfortable.
And when you’re not comfortable, it can be very difficult to get any work done.
Needless to say, you shouldn’t let pain get in the way of your everyday routine.
Pain can be caused by an injury or localized inflammation, or be a sign of an underlying medical condition, according to Medical News Today.
If you’re suffering from any type of pain, myrrh oil can help.
This is good reason to use this medicinal oil to relieve yourself of the discomfort and distress caused by acute or chronic pain.
If the pain doesn’t go away after a few days, or has become persistent, you need to see your doctor to find out if any other condition is causing the pain.
This way, you can get treatment for whatever it is that you are suffering from.
- Use myrrh oil for pain relief, as it has been proven to have potent analgesic properties.
- If the pain persists, it’s very important to see your doctor.
9. Myrrh Oil is a Good Solution for Vaginal Infection
This prompted scientists to look for a natural alternative treatment for this problem.
A 2011 Egyptian study has established that myrrh is an effective herbal remedy against trichomoniasis infection .
What myrrh oil does is to control the growth, formation and spread of the fungal species causing the infection.
While it gets to the bottom of the problem, it’s also able to alleviate the common symptoms associated with this condition such as inflammation and itchiness.
- Metronidazole used to be highly effective in curbing vaginal infections but fungi have grown resistant to this medicine.
- Myrrh oil is a natural alternative treatment that can inhibit the growth and spread of fungi before it causes infection in the vagina.
- It can also ease the uncomfortable symptoms that are experienced by women who have this type of infection.
10. Myrrh Oil is a Strong Bacterial Inhibitor
While it’s true that bacteria can exist in the body without causing any problem, it’s also possible to cause infection, particularly when the immune system becomes weak.
Fortunately, there are natural remedies that can be used to treat bacterial infections.
One of these is myrrh oil.
Researchers from the Cairo University in Egypt probed the antibacterial properties of myrrh .
Myrrh has been found to demonstrate high antimicrobial effects that can be applied on many types of bacteria .
Another study published in the Letters in Applied Microbiology Journal found that this oil can successfully inhibit the activities of Staphylococcus aureus, Escherichia coli, and Pseudomonas aeruginosa .
It’s highly versatile, combating a wide range of harmful pathogens.
These findings suggest that myrrh oil is an efficient way to prevent infections caused by these bacterial strains.
It’s also important to note that some bacterial strains have become resistant to antibiotics, and could now be only treated by alternative natural methods.
- Bacteria can cause infections in the body and should therefore be controlled using antibacterials like myrrh oil.
11. Myrrh Oil Can Control Fungal Sinusitis
What scientists know is that certain natural remedies can help tone down its symptoms and at the same time, kill the source of infection.
A good example is myrrh oil.
A 2015 study revealed that myrrh oil works against fungal species that cause this problem .
- Myrrh oil is also a proven antifungal agent that can ward off different kinds of fungal infections.
Myrrh oil has many amazing benefits that should convince people to use it more often.
It can protect the brain, help manage diabetes, relieve pain and treat many types of ailments, among others.
Try turning to it when you experience any of the predicaments mentioned above.