According to WebMD, pomegranate seeds and other parts of the plant are used in making medicine to treat diabetes, cancer, and flu, among many others.
In this article, we have a large number of benefits of pomegranate seed oil listed below for you.
Continue reading to know more about:
- Pomegranate seed oil health benefits
- How to use pomegranate seed oil properly to enjoy these benefits
Let’s find out which of the many uses and health benefits of pomegranate seed oil have been proven in scientific research.
1. Pomegranate Seed Oil Protects Against Cancer
Out of 100,000 people, a little over 170 die each year from cancer, as stated in a report by the National Cancer Institute.
This deadly disease starts at the cellular level and occurs when there’s uncontrollable growth and spread among cells .
When cancerous cells invade healthy cells and tissues, it means that cancer has progressed .
As scary as it sounds, it’s good to know that there are natural substances that can help fight this serious disease.
One of the most important benefits of pomegranate seed oil is to stop this disease.
This has something to do with the oil’s ability to reduce inflammation .
This property gives pomegranate a wide range of applications not only on the treatment of cancer but also other inflammatory diseases .
In a series of clinical trials conducted in the Pusan National University in Korea, it was revealed that pomegranate seed oil can prevent the spread of breast cancer cells by up to 90 percent .
Its polyphenols have been found to successfully inhibit the formation of cancerous lesions .
- Pomegranate seed oil can protect against cancer by preventing the cycle, spread, invasion and angiogenesis of cancer cells.
- It has been found effective in preventing breast cancer cells from invading other tissues in the body.
2. Pomegranate Seed Oil Can Help Fight Malaria
Malaria is one of the deadliest and most terrifying diseases carried by mosquitoes that anyone should be concerned about.
In 2015, over 438,000 people died from this mosquito-borne ailment, reports Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
The first signs and symptoms of malaria, which include a headache, fever, vomiting, and chills, are experienced 10 to 15 days after being exposed to the deadly parasite through a mosquito bite.
If left untreated, it can lead to severe infection and death.
In India, where there is a high incidence rate of malaria, a medication made from a pomegranate is used in treating this disease .
This formulation has been proven to be highly potent against the cells of the virus .
But of course, when you’re afflicted with a disease as serious as malaria, it’s not enough to self-medicate.
To be on the safe side, be sure to get immediate medical attention.
- Pomegranate is used as the primary component in a malaria medication in India.
- It has strong antiplasmodial properties that can help treat this deadly disease.
3. Pomegranate Seed Oil Has Potent Antidiabetic Effects
Another serious and potentially fatal disease that can be treated with pomegranate seed oil is diabetes.
Diabetes is characterized by abnormally high levels of blood sugar, as a response to the body’s lack of or inability to produce insulin.
If not managed properly, diabetes can lead to several complications that can put your health and even your life at risk.
Using natural remedies can help.
The flowers, juice, and seeds of a pomegranate, for example, have been used by traditional Indian healers to treat diabetes for many years .
These components help regulate the blood sugar levels and lower them when they shoot up .
A 2001 study published in the Phytotherapy Research shows that the pomegranate seed oil reduced blood sugar levels in rats by up to 52 percent in a 12-hour period .
- Diabetes is a serious condition in which the blood sugar levels are too high.
- It is very important to manage this disease properly to avoid any complication.
- Oil extract from pomegranate seeds has been found effective in reducing blood glucose in diabetic rats.
4. Pomegranate Seed Can Help Prevent Obesity
Who doesn’t want to have an ideal weight?
While weight is a cosmetic issue for many people, it’s important to remember that it’s more important to drop unwanted pounds for health reasons.
Obesity, which is defined by WebMD as having 20 percent more than the normal weight, has been linked to numerous life-threatening diseases such as high blood pressure, heart disease, stroke, diabetes and many others.
As serious as this sounds, this doesn’t make it all right to lose weight using quick but unsafe practices such as fad diets.
Fad diets may give you the result that you want, but this is only temporary.
And you’re only putting your health in the line.
Achieving and maintaining proper weight should be done using healthy measures such as natural weight-loss substances like pomegranate.
Pomegranate seed extract has been found to help reduce fat in the body .
There are many ways it works: it helps boost the metabolism or the body’s ability to burn fat and calories, it suppresses the appetite, and it provides sufficient energy needed to take on a weight loss exercise program .
5. Pomegranate Seed Oil Can Reduce the Risk of Heart Disease
Worried about heart disease?
The World Health Organization (WHO) states that heart disease is the number one cause of death anywhere in the world.
In fact, it claims the lives of people more than any other disease.
WHO estimates that about 17 million people die from heart ailments annually, accounting for more than 30 percent of deaths worldwide.
The good news is pomegranate seed oil can protect you from this ailment.
In one clinical trial, 51 patients with high cholesterol levels were made to take either 400 mg of pomegranate seed oil or a placebo twice a day for four weeks .
Those in the pomegranate seed oil group had a significant decrease in cholesterol level compared to the other group .
Its high antioxidant concentration is responsible for maintaining proper levels of cholesterol in the bloodstream, thereby reducing the risk of heart disease .
- The punicic acid in pomegranate seed oil possesses anti-atherogenic effects that can help promote heart health.
- At the same time, its antioxidants work to stabilize cholesterol levels and keep heart diseases at bay.
6. Pomegranate Seed Oil Can Prevent Liver Injury
The liver is responsible for many vital metabolic functions in the body such as removing toxic substances, metabolizing nutrients, and many more .
It’s in charge of so many vital bodily processes that it’s only right to protect it from damage or injury.
The problem is, many people engage in a lifestyle that does the opposite.
Unhealthy diet, overuse of medications and excessive consumption of alcohol are just a few of the many activities that can harm the liver.
To reverse the damage caused by these habits, or to prevent any from putting your liver health in jeopardy, make use of pomegranate seed oil.
Egyptian scientists evaluated the “protective role” of pomegranate seed oil against liver injury .
Results indicate that treatment with this oil extracts significantly improved the liver function and reduced oxidative stress .
- The liver is responsible for many important bodily processes that it’s imperative to protect it the best way possible.
- Pomegranate seed oil protects the liver from damage, improves liver function and reduces oxidative damage.
7. Pomegranate Seed Oil Prevents and Treats Flu
Caught the flu? Not to worry, you can use pomegranate seed oil to make yourself feel better.
A viral infection in the respiratory system, influenza causes fever, sore muscles, chills, headache, nasal congestion and sore throat .
It can make your days uncomfortable, and affect your usual routine.
Obviously, you’d want to do away with this illness.
Apart from getting a flu shot, you can also prevent this ailment with pomegranate.
Findings from a 2003 study reveal that pomegranate seed extract has anti-influenza properties .
It appears that the active compounds in pomegranate are toxic to the cells of the virus, which explains its strong antiviral properties .
Take note though that it’s only toxic to the virus, and not to the host.
It can safely treat this viral illness without inflicting any serious side effects .
- Flu can cause many unpleasant symptoms that will make it hard for you to get out of bed and do your usual work.
- Fortunately, it can be prevented and treated with pomegranate, which has been found to have potent anti-influenza properties.
8. Pomegranate Seed Oil is a Good Remedy for Diarrhea
Diarrhea can send you rushing to the comfort room every hour or so.
This condition, which is characterized by frequent movements of loose and watery stools, can cause abdominal pain and other distressing symptoms .
It’s one of those illnesses that would make you want to go into hiding, and not go out of the house.
It can hamper your work, and disrupt your normal routine.
To put an end to all these, one remedy that you can try is pomegranate seed oil, which has been proven to have anti-diarrheal activities .
Apart from that, it also significantly reduced gastrointestinal motility .
With its antibacterial and soothing properties, this remedy gets to the source of infection, and at the same time, alleviates the symptoms .
- Diarrhea is not only an embarrassing condition, it’s also very painful and uncomfortable.
- A highly effective remedy to try is pomegranate seed oil, which has anti-diarrheal effects.
9. Pomegranate Seed Oil Can Promote Oral Health
A good way to keep your mouth healthy is by using pomegranate.
In a study conducted by Brazilian researchers, it was found that pomegranate extract was a powerful antibacterial agent against microorganisms that cause dental plaque .
In this clinical trial, 60 patients with orthodontic appliances were randomized to receive either chlorhexidine, hydroalcoholic extract from pomegranate, or a placebo .
The group that received hydroalcoholic extract had the highest reduction in dental plaque .
Another study was done in Bangkok, Thailand that involved 20 patients reported that pomegranate significantly reduced the symptoms of periodontal disease, including gum bleeding .
- Pomegranate can promote oral health by reducing dental plaque, preventing gum disease and resolving denture stomatitis.
10. Pomegranate Seed Oil Can Alleviate Osteoarthritis
Osteoarthritis is one of the most common forms of arthritis that can make it difficult for you to move around.
You can remedy this by using pomegranate seed oil.
This oil is known to be an excellent source of antioxidants such as flavonoids and punicic acid .
In fact, its antioxidant levels are similar to that of green tea and much higher than that of red wine .
All these are what make pomegranate effective as a treatment for this inflammatory condition.
A 2005 study shows that extract from this fruit can help prevent the degradation of cartilage, and maintain function and strength of bone joints .
- Pomegranate seed oil’s high antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activities that can help prevent and treat osteoarthritis.
11. Pomegranate Seed Oil Can Relieve Menopausal Symptoms
A woman’s menstrual period permanently ends sometime in her 40s or 50s .
Called menopause, this phase in a woman’s life can cause many unpleasant symptoms including hot flashes, night sweats, difficulty sleeping, vaginal dryness, anxiety, mood swings, and many others .
As you can imagine, this can be a trying time for any woman.
Not only do these symptoms affect a woman’s daily activities and emotional well-being, it can also take a toll on her sexual relations.
It’s a good thing menopausal women can find relief using pomegranate seed oil.
According to research conducted by Austrian scientists, a 12-week treatment with pomegranate seed oil reduced hot flashes in menopausal women by nearly 40 percent .
Using this remedy also had improved the sleeping difficulty in some of the participants .
- Menopausal symptoms such as hot flashes can be relieved with the use of pomegranate seed oil, reports an Austrian study.
12. Pomegranate Seed Oil Can Delay Skin Aging Due to UV Radiation
If you’d like to stay looking young and fresh, it’s a good idea to use pomegranate seed oil.
Research has proven that its polyphenol content can reverse the negative effects of UV radiation on the skin, including skin aging .
By using this remedy, you can finally say goodbye to those annoying fine lines and wrinkles that make you appear older than you really are.
Findings of this study confirm the photoprotective effects of this oil on UV radiation-induced skin damage .
- Keep your youthful glow by using pomegranate seed oil on your skin as this can help eliminate signs of premature aging.
13. Pomegranate Seed Essential Oil for a Healthy Scalp
You can consider pomegranate seed oil as a blessing to your scalp. Why so? Cause this oil alone can ensure you a healthy and nourished scalp that promotes healthier hair.
Let’s start from the beginning. The most of important thing about a healthy scalp is a proper blood circulation. Voila! Pomegranate seed on its way to solving the problem.
Pomegranate seed oil is a great stimulator of blood circulation. It helps to strengthen the blood vessels and promotes health to your scalp.
Another important thing is a balanced pH of the scalp. Pomegranate seed oil regulates the sebum production of the scalp and maintains a healthy pH level.
The oil also helps with the unclogging of hair follicles and tends to remove bacteria and dirt particles from your scalp.
Pomegranate seed oil protects your scalp from damage and fights off scalp conditions like psoriasis and scalp eczema. It also keeps your scalp hydrated and nourished.
The best way to use this oil for your scalp is to mix it with a carrier oil like coconut oil, castor oil or almond oil.
- Pomegranate seed oil is an all-rounder for your scalp. It keeps all your scalp problems at bay and ensures a healthy platform for gorgeous hair.
There is many benefits that you can get from using pomegranate seed oil.
Not only can you use this to treat numerous ailments, it can also help maintain optimal health.
So start using pomegranate seed oil to solve your problems effectively and enjoy the benefits.
Hope this article came to your help. Please ask us for any queries or confusions and don’t forget to share your experience with us by leaving a comment in the comments section below.