Pumpkin seed oil is a vegetable oil that has gained popularity because of its healthy fats and benefits. Also known as Pepita oil, it’s often promoted as a health supplement. 
But, you can use pumpkin oil for hair as well. Especially if you have hair fall problem, this oil may help you with that.
Pumpkin seed oil originates from the seed of a pumpkin or Cucurbita maxima. People use this oil to treat overactive bladder, ease symptoms of menopause, and reduce hair loss.
Continue reading to learn how you can use pumpkin seed oil for hair fall.
What Research Says about Using Pumpkin Seed Oil for Hair?
There is no solid proof that pumpkin seed oil can prevent hair loss. But, there are scientific theories that support this fact.
A study published in 2014 evaluated the efficacy of pumpkin seed oil on hair loss control. 76 male patients with hair loss problem attended the trial. 
Some of them received 400 mg of pumpkin seed oil per day while others took a placebo. After 24 weeks of treatment, those who took the pumpkin seed oil showed 30% more hair growth than those who received the placebo. 
Although the study put pumpkin seed oil among the natural hair growth promoter, some lacking were found in the research:
- The study was performed on less than 100 men for only 24 weeks. Besides, no women participated in that trial. So, there’s no strong evidence of this oil’s efficacy on women. Besides, research on some possible side effects is also required.
- In this study, pumpkin seed oil was an ingredient in a multi-ingredient supplement. Other ingredients were corn silk powder, evening primrose powder, mixed vegetable powder, red clover powder, tomato powder, and octacosanol (a plant wax).
However, from the above study, you can say that pumpkin seed oil plays a small role in hair growth.
Phytosterols, components found in pumpkin seed oil are responsible for hair growth.  They are sterols that you can find in many plants. Although these sterols are a lot like cholesterols, they show positive effects.
Phytosterols work by blocking the hormones and enzymes that are responsible for hair loss. It means pumpkin seed oil may help reduce hair fall.
How to Use Pumpkin Seed Oil for Hair Fall
There are several ways to use pumpkin seed oil. You can use it as a supplement, oil mix, or in a hair mask.
You can use this oil topically as a hot oil treatment, hair rinse, or pre-shampoo treatment.
1. Hot Oil Treatment
- Mix 1 tablespoon of each of pumpkin seed oil and coconut oil and warm it up.
- Massage the oil slowly into your scalp for a few minutes.
- Leave it for 30 minutes. Wash it off. You can also let the oil sit overnight if you want.
2. Hair Rinse
- Brew a cup of green tea or chamomile tea.
- Add 1/2 tsp of pumpkin seed oil in it.
- Wash your hair and use the mix as a rinse.
- Let it sit for 5 minutes before washing it off.
3. Pre-Shampoo Treatment
- Take 2 tablespoons of castor oil, 2 tsp of pumpkin seed oil, and a little amount of coconut oil in a bowl. Mix them all.
- Massage the oil mix on your scalp.
- Leave it for 30-45 minutes. Rinse it off with a shampoo.
4. Hair Mask
- Mix 2 tablespoons of pumpkin seed oil with 2 egg yolks in a bowl.
- Add 1/2 cup of water in it.
- Massage your scalp with the mask and wait for 15-20 minutes.
- Rinse it off with cold water. Then wash it using a mild shampoo.
5. DIY Hair Oil
- Pour an equal part of castor oil and coconut oil in a bowl. Add 4 tablespoons of pumpkin seed oil.
- Now pour a few drops of any essential oil of your choice. Mix them well.
- Store the oil mix in a bottle.
- Massage this oil on your wet scalp and wait for 30 minutes.
- Rinse it off with a mild shampoo.
6. Hair Mist
- Mix 1-2 tablespoon of pumpkin seed oil with 1 cup of rose water.
- Store the mix in a spray bottle.
- You can use it on both your dry and damp hair.
You can also consume pumpkin seed oil. Here are some methods you can try:
7. Pumpkin Oil Consumption
- You will find pumpkin seed oil supplements as a gel capsule form at any drugs store.
- Take a 1000 mg capsule about 3 times a day after the meals.
- You can also take 1 tsp of this oil 3 times a day.
Safety Tips for Using Pumpkin Seed Oil
You must be careful while using pumpkin seed oil, especially for oral consumption.:
- The pumpkin seed oil supplements available in the market aren’t regulated by the FDA. So, the dosage and quality may differ. That’s why you should buy these supplements only from a reputed company.
- These supplements can cause food allergy and stomach problem for some people. If you experience something like this, stop using the supplements.
- The oil has a low smoke point. So, do not use it under high heat.
- Always consult with a doctor before you start using this oil.
Despite some minor side effects, Pumpkin seed oil is relatively safe to use. But you should be more careful while you’re consuming the oil. If you’re pregnant, you should not take any supplements without asking the doctor.
You can mix the oil with your other hair oil or in a hair mask. In this way, you can get a better result.
More studis are needed to confirm the fact the pumpkin seed oil can control hair loss. It may not show the result quickly. You’ll have to wait for several weeks to see the results.