Yeast Infections are painful and difficult to cure. Many women around the world are turning towards coconut oil as a natural remedy for yeast infections. The research shows that coconut oil is an ideal cure for this skin disease. (1)
A yeast infection put merely is a fungal infection on your skin. You can get it in your mouth, the skin areas or the vagina. Vaginal yeast infection is the most common of all.
As per the estimation of The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 75% women around the world suffer from a vaginal yeast infection. (2)
Your body is a home for millions of fungi. There are both beneficial and harmful fungi in your body. Candida albicans is one of those yeasts or fungi.
Certain medications, high estrogen level, and a weak immune system may lead to the overgrowth of this fungus in your body and result in a yeast infection. (3)
If you do not treat a yeast infection, it will pose a lot of discomforts, fatigue, pain, and itching. There are many over-the-counter antifungal creams, oral tablets, and pessaries to help you deal with this fungal infection. However, they are a waste of money with little to offer in fighting candida outgrowth. (4)
Using coconut oil for yeast infection relief is a safer and natural option to try at home.
In this article you’ll learn:
- How effective is Coconut Oil for Yeast Infections?
- Coconut Oil for Vaginal Yeast Infections
- Coconut Oil for Skin Yeast Infections
- Coconut Oil for Oral Thrush
- Some Tips and Warnings
Coconut Oil for Yeast Infections; How It Works?
Coconut oil comes from the kernel of coconut. It is an essential oil with versatile practical and health benefits. The lubricant comprises of 90% saturated fat. But coconut oil fat is not harmful to your body. (5)
This fat is different from the animal-based fat such as; butter, lard, red meat, etc.
Your body doesn’t have an inflammatory response to this oil. (6)
Reasons to use coconut oil to treat yeast infections:
- Coconut oil is anti-inflammatory
Coconut oil is full of natural antimicrobial, antiviral, and fungicidal properties. Lauric, caprylic, and capric acids are three essential compounds of coconut oil.
These can effectively prevent the growth of yeast population in your skin. (7)
Also Read: 6 Ways to Use Coconut Oil for Acne Treatment
- Coconut oil boosts the immune system
Coconut oil is a generous source of vitamin K, E, and various healthy minerals. You can add this nutritious oil to your diet.
It will strengthen your immune system to battle against the invasion of yeast infections on your skin. (8)
- Coconut oil is safe
The colorless and pleasant scented Coconut oil comes from the edible, dried kernel of coconuts. In many tropical islands and coastal areas, people use coconut oil for cooking.
According to a study, these people enjoy excellent health and longevity compared to others. (9)
This natural oil is non-toxic, and its saturated fat isn’t harmful to your body either.
Allergic reaction to coconut oil is rare. It is very gentle and safe on tender and sensitive skins.
- Coconut oil is easily available
Coconut oil is cheaper and readily available compared to other natural oils in the market. It’s like icing on the cake because of the extraordinary health benefits of this miraculous oil.
Coconut Oil for Vaginal Yeast Infections
If you are down with a vaginal yeast infection, you’ll experience itch, pain and a burning sensation in your vagina. You will suffer the most while urinating and having sex.
Try the coconut oil home remedies that I have discussed below to cure a vaginal yeast infection.
1. Direct Application
This method refers to the direct application of coconut oil on the infected area.
- Wash the infected area with lukewarm water and pat dry using a soft towel.
- Pour a few drops of coconut oil and spread it on the affected area like a layer.
- Alternatively, massage the infected area with coconut oil for 5 minutes.
- Repeat the process thrice daily until you see the excellent results.
2. Coconut Oil Tampon
Many health experts suggest using a coconut oil tampon to fight vaginal yeast infection. In this method, the oil can reach vaginal walls and give comfort from the itch and burning sensations. (11)
- Coat an organic tampon with coconut oil for 5 minutes.
- Remove it from the oil and insert it into your vagina.
- Let it be there overnight or for 8 hours.
- Remove the tampon and wash off the area
- Dry off the affected area thoroughly with a soft towel.
- You can repeat the method daily for a week.
3. Coconut Oil Suppositories
This method can give you a speedy recovery from vaginal yeast infection. It is similar to tampon method in contacting the vaginal walls and give you maximum comfort from the pain and irritations of yeast infection. (12)
In this method, you can add coconut oil to a couple of other essential oils to boost up the healing process.
- Add 2 tbsp. Of coconut oil to 4 drops of lavender oil and oregano oil each.
- Pour the oil solution into a stick-like mold and put it in the refrigerator.
- After 20-25 minutes the oil solution will solidify.
- Cut them into suppositories.
- Place a home-made suppository into your vagina when you go to sleep.
- Repeat the process daily until you are free from the infection.
Note: If you try this method make sure to wear a pad while sleeping. Otherwise, the oil suppository will melt down and make a mess with your clothes and bed sheet.
4. Coconut Oil Shower
In this method, you clean your vagina using a coconut oil solution. A coconut oil shower can stop white discharge associated with vaginal yeast infection.
- Mix 4 tbsp. Of coconut oil with 500 ml. Of warm water
- Wash your vagina with the solution thoroughly.
- Do the same regularly until the yeast infection subsides.
Also Read: Can You Use Coconut Oil for Hemorrhoids?
Coconut Oil for Skin Yeast Infections
Skin yeast infection is also known as cutaneous candidiasis. There may be an outgrowth of candida fungus on any part of your skin.
Especially the moist and sweaty areas like armpits, breasts, and groins are prone to fungal infection.
The obese and diabetic patients are more likely to suffer from skin yeast infection. Its common signs are red rashes with itch and scaling. (13)
Try any of the following methods for a quick remedy for skin yeast infection.
5. Coconut Oil with Cinnamon Oil
Coconut oil for yeast infection treatment can work better when you combine it with an essential oil. In this process, you can pair coconut oil with cinnamon essential oil to prevent the fungi growth and curb the painful symptoms of skin yeast infection. (14)
- Mix 2 tbsp. Of coconut oil with 2 tbsp. of cinnamon essential oil.
- Spread the oil solution on the affected skin area like a layer.
- Leave it on the skin to dry naturally
- Redo the process daily until you observe good results.
6. Coconut Oil with Garlic Oil and Vitamin E
In this method, you can achieve extra benefits from garlic essential oil and vitamin E oil to fight off a yeast infection.(15)
Vitamin E has the potential to reproduce new skin cells and rejuvenate your skin. Let’s learn the process.
- Mix garlic essential oil and vitamin E oil 4 drops each with 2 tbsp. of coconut oil.
- Apply the oil solution on the affected skin area.
- Allow the skin to absorb the oil thoroughly.
- Redo the process daily to get rid of the infection.
7. Coconut Oil with Oregano Oil
The research has shown that the phenolic components of oregano essential oil: carvacrol and eugenol are anticandidal.
A bond of coconut and oregano oil can effectively treat skin yeast infection. (16)
- Add 4 drops of oregano essential oil to 2 tbsp. Of coconut oil.
- Massage the oil solution in the yeast infected areas.
- Let it dry on the skin naturally.
- Repeat the process daily until you are out of the infection.
Also Read: Coconut Oil for Herpes: How Effective?
8. Coconut Oil for Pregnant Women to Get Rid of Skin Yeast Infections
For all the pregnant women out there, you don’t need to worry about your skin yeast infections anymore. Coconut oil is completely safe to be used on a pregnant woman as well.
The risk of yeast infections gets higher during the time of pregnancy. All the newly formed folds and fats are the ideal places for yeast infections and need the utmost attention.
Thankfully, coconut oil remedy is among the safest option in this case. You can put a generous amount of this oil on your skin to get rid of the infection.
Coconut oil diminishes bacteria and fungus and provides relief from all the irritation and sufferings. Moreover, as a bonus, you get a free escape from all those stretch marks as coconut oil is amazingly well with reducing stretch marks and wrinkles on the skin.
- Take a bath and apply a good amount of coconut oil all over your affected area daily.
Coconut Oil for Oral Thrush
Candida outgrowth can happen on your tongue, the palates and the inner walls of cheeks as well. The medical term for this condition is oral thrush or oropharyngeal candidiasis. (17)
You may experience swelling, pain, and bleeding in the mentioned areas as a sign of oral thrush. Using coconut oil for yeast infection such as oral thrush is your ultimate solution to the problem.
9. Coconut Oil Pulling
Coconut oil pulling is an ancient oral hygiene method. This process can efficiently clear out the toxins and harmful bacteria from your body. (18) Follow the directions carefully to get rid of oral thrush by coconut oil pulling.
- On a pot warm 4 tbsp. Of coconut oil.
- When the oil is lukewarm, put it in your mouth.
- Swish the oil for 10 seconds and then spit it out.
- Redo the process regularly for the best results.
Note: Make sure that you do not consume the oil while swishing. It is also advisable that you do not eat and drink for the next 30 minutes after doing this process.
Some Tips and Warnings (19)
Coconut oil has the reputation of not causing any side effects. However, you should be aware of some precautionary elements before using coconut oil for yeast infection remedy.
- There are a lot of coconut oil brands on the market. Sometimes the strong nutty smell of some of the branded coconut oil may deceive you. So, choose the right jar of virgin coconut oil.
- You can add coconut oil to your diet by using it as a cooking oil. Coconut oil has short chain fatty acids which are not harmful to your body. In fact, coconut oil can offer you a healthy skin, hair and immune system.
- Consumption of coconut oil may also cause your stomach upset and gain weight in the long run.
- Avoid coconut oil treatments if you are already on OTC medications.
- Children and pregnant women should consult a doctor before trying coconut oil for yeast infection.
Yeast infections may seem stubborn and difficult skin problems to get rid of. However, coconut oil for yeast infection remedies discussed above can go a long way in providing you an effective cure for these fungal infections.
Have you ever used coconut oil for yeast infection? Try it and see the result yourself.
Share your experience with us by leaving a comment in the comment section below.
Also, for any queries or confusions, feel free to ask us.