Dark patches and spots on the neck are something unwanted.
But there is one thing we should keep in mind which is dark neck is neither an infection nor a skin problem. Also, it is not contagious at all.
As we mostly concentrate on the skin of our face and often forget to take proper care of our neck, they become dark.
There can be some causes behind the darkening of the skin of your neck.
In this article, we will cover:
- Causes of dark neck
- Home remedies to get rid of dark skin on neck
- Frequently asked questions and answers
Causes of Dark Skin on Your Neck
There can be many reasons behind a dark neck.
One of the most important reasons is poor hygiene.
If you fail to meet the proper hygiene for your neck, it can gradually become dark.
Other reasons behind a dark neck are as follows.
- Skin conditions like eczema, infections 
- Hormonal conditions like Acanthosis Nigrican 
- Chemically enhanced products
- Too much sun exposure
- Dirt and pollution
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Dark Skin on Neck
Followings are twelve of the quickest and safest remedies to get rid of dark skin from your neck.
1. Olive Oil and Lemon Juice
Olive oil is one of the most used oils in the world. It has some amazing skin benefits.
Olive oil is also known to improve the complexion of your skin while providing enough moisture and hydration to it.
Lemon juice has Vitamin C in it which helps in removing dead skin cells.
The citric acid of lemon juice is a natural bleaching agent guaranteed to bring change in the skin tone of your neck. 
Olive oil mixed with some lemon juice can be one of your best options to get rid of dark skin off your neck.
- Mix two tablespoons of a freshly squeezed lemon juice with equal amount of olive oil and apply the mixture as a serum on your neck before going to bed.
- Use regularly for a month.
2. Almonds and Honey
A handful of almonds are known to contain a lot of health benefits.
You may not know that almonds are great for nourishing your skin as well.
It is packed with essential vitamins which give a glow to your skin and also reduce discoloration. 
Honey is a nourishing agent which softens the dry area of your neck and helps in reducing pigmentation. 
A paste of grounded almonds and honey can be all you need to give your dark neck a good treat.
- Mix half a teaspoon of grounded almonds with some milk powder and organic honey to form a paste.
- Wash your neck, pat it dry and apply the paste all over the area.
- Leave for half an hour before rinsing off with water.
- Repeat at least twice a week.
3. Oatmeal and Rosewater Scrub
If any part of your body lacks in proper maintenance, it can become dark and dull.
Dull skin tends to become rough and produces dead skin cells.
If you want to promote health to your skin, you need to get rid of the dead skin cells first.
A scrub made of oatmeal and rosewater can help you in this case.
Oatmeal contains natural exfoliating properties which exfoliate your skin to get rid of all the dirt and pollutants. 
It also provides moisture to your dry skin and prevents darkening of skin.
Rosewater will keep your skin hydrated and glowing. 
- Take a quarter cup of oatmeal and grind till you get a rough powder.
- Mix a tablespoon of rosewater and tomato juice with the powder to form a thick paste.
- Apply the paste on your neck leaving for twenty minutes and then scrub the skin gently using your fingertips for a few minutes.
- Rinse off with cold water and pat your skin dry.
- Use this method thrice a week.
4. Tomato and Honey
The antioxidants of tomatoes help in reviving dull skin.
It also contains bleaching agents similar to lemon juice that can reduce dark spots and blemishes.
Honey, on the other hand, is a fantastic moisturizing agent.
It also helps in balancing the skin tone.
A combination of honey and tomato will give your skin extra care while reducing the discoloration. 
- Blend one tomato and take two tablespoons of tomato puree in a bowl.
- Add one tablespoon of honey and a teaspoon of lemon juice.
- Mix everything well and apply the mixture to your neck.
- Leave it on for fifteen to twenty and wash off with cold water.
- Repeat regularly for quick results.
Cucumber is one of the best soothing elements. The use of this can get you at ease.
Along with the soothing effect, cucumbers also remove dead skin cells and promote re-growth of new healthy cells.
It can bring change in the appearance of the skin on your neck and also add a glow to it. 
- Grate and squeeze the juice out from one cucumber.
- Apply the juice on your neck and scrub for five minutes.
- Leave it on for another ten minutes before rinsing off.
- You can repeat it daily.
6. Aloe Vera Gel
Aloe vera contains aloesin which helps in minimizing the pigmentation and thus lightens skin tone. 
As the neck area often lacks in moisture and care, it can become too much pigmented resulting in a dark skin on neck.
Aloe vera can treat this problem. It will also hydrate the area providing necessary nutrients.
- Extract gel from one aloe vera leaf and massage your neck gently for a few minutes with it.
- Leave for fifteen to twenty minutes before rinsing off with water.
- Repeat daily.
7. Vitamin E Oil
Vitamin E oil is a powerful antioxidant enriched with nourishing properties. 
It nourishes and moisturizes your skin while removing pigmentation.
Vitamin e oil can protect your skin from free radical damages. 
It also improves the blood circulation, removes dead skin cells and ensures health to your skin.
- Take the oil from 4 vitamin E capsules and apply all over your neck.
- Use this method every night before going to bed and leave the oil overnight.
8. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar has malic acid in it which helps in exfoliating dead skin cells.
The acidic properties of ACV lighten your skin. It is especially applicable when the darkening is due to poor hygiene or too much sun exposure. 
It contributes to balancing the pH of your skin which promotes good health.
It will replenish life to your dull and damaged skin and add a glow to it.
- Dilute a couple of tablespoons of apple cider vinegar with four tablespoons of water and apply the solution to your neck using a cotton ball.
- Leave for ten minutes before rinsing off with water.
- Apply this method on alternate days.
9. Yogurt and Turmeric
Turmeric is a natural skin brightening element.
It also contains skin healing properties that help in repairing your damaged skin cells. 
Yogurt can enhance the productivity if mixed with turmeric.
The natural enzymes of yogurt can lighten the skin of your neck.
It also provides nourishment making your skin smooth.
- Mix two tablespoons of plain yogurt with a quarter teaspoon of turmeric powder to form a paste.
- Apply this to all the sides of your neck and leave it on for 20 minutes.
- Rinse off with lukewarm water.
- Use this method every day for the best results.
10. Baking soda
Baking soda, another natural exfoliating agent, helps greatly in lightening your dark skin tone and balancing pH. 
It will naturally exfoliate the dead skin cells off your skin and reduce dark spots.
It can cleanse your skin and nourish it at the same time.
Also, it promotes blood circulation to the area which can treat your dull skin even better.
- Make a smooth paste of baking soda mixed with some water and apply on your neck.
- Leave it to dry and then start scrubbing your skin with some water for a minute.
- Rinse off the remaining mixture with cool water and moisturize your skin after patting it dry.
- Repeat every day for about a week.
11. Potato Juice
Use of potato juice for removing dark spots is not unknown.
Potatoes contain strong bleaching agents which help to bring a change in the tone of your skin within a few days of application. 
While lightening your skin tone, it also brightens up the skin and adds a glow to it.
- Grate one potato and squeeze out all the juice.
- Apply the juice to your neck and leave it for 15 minutes to dry.
- Rinse off using lukewarm water.
- Repeat this every day.
12. Chickpea Flour and Turmeric
Chickpea flour is great for exfoliating your skin along with nourishing it.
The flour absorbs all the impurities and promotes health to your skin. 
It helps in lightening your dark skin and reduces pigmentation.
Regular use of it can also minimize pores.
Turmeric powder, mixed with chickpea flour will brighten your skin along with the exfoliation and remove dead skin cells.
- Take two tablespoons of chickpea flour and a quarter teaspoon of turmeric powder in a bowl.
- Add half a teaspoon of lemon juice and some rosewater to form a paste.
- Apply this on your neck and leave till it dries out.
- Wash with lukewarm water and use this process twice a week.
Tips and Precautions
- Don’t forget to apply a moisturizer to your neck while moisturizing your face.
- Maintain a good hygiene.
- Just like your face, wash your neck daily.
- Refrain using chemically enhanced beauty or skincare products.
- Use an SPF on your neck as well.
- If you have skin conditions like eczema, infections or hormonal disorders, consult a doctor.
- Don’t use cheap metallic ornaments if you feel itchiness or irritations from using them.
- Before adopting any of the above-described methods, do a patch test.
- Drink lots of water.
Beauty comes from within. So, before you take the help of any home remedies to treat your skin, you should ensure a proper and healthy lifestyle first.
The above remedies are all safe and secure. They help you get rid of dark skin on your neck and promote a healthy skin as well.
So definitely try these out and share your experience with us in the comments section below
Hope this article was helpful to you.