Hand, foot, and mouth disease is a viral disease. Also known as HFMD, it’s a highly contagious illness that usually attacks the children. 
Essential oils for hand, foot, and mouth disease can be a good option if you don’t want to use chemical-infused medications on your child. These oils are quite safe and can effectively soothe the symptoms with their strong antiviral and antimicrobial components.
Adults can also suffer from HFMD, especially those who work in a daycare center or parents who have to change their baby’s diaper.
The symptoms consist of blisters, or rashes in hands, legs, or sores and ulcers around the mouth. The condition is annoying, but not dangerous. 
This article looks into some potential uses of essential oils for hand, foot, and mouth disease to soothe the symptoms.
Some Effective Essential Oils for Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease
1. Clove Essential Oil
Clove oil is quite effective in fighting virus and infections. This essential oil contains powerful anti-inflammatory properties. Therefore, it can reduce inflammation due to HFMD.
Besides, clove essential oil can also purify the blood.
2. Lemon Essential Oil
This essential oil is effective in enhancing your immune system and managing viral infections such as HFMD.
Lemon essential oil is rich in antimicrobial, antiviral, and antiseptic properties. These properties can help fight the virus responsible for this condition. 
3. Tea Tree Essential Oil
The oil has antiviral and antibacterial components. So, it can combat the virus and infections that cause HFMD.
Tea tree oil is rich in antifungal, antibacterial, and antiseptic agents. Therefore, it can heal blisters and sores. 
4. Lavender Essential Oil
Lavender oil is quite safe to use directly on your skin. It’s known as the most diverse oil that can treat a variety of ailments.
This essential oil contains antiviral, antibacterial, and antimicrobial agents. It can effectively heal sores and blisters. 
Lavender oil has calming and soothing effects. It can also reduce stress due to HFMD.
Children who have trouble sleeping due to the pain they have because of HFMD can be benefited with this oil.
How to Use Essential Oils for Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease?
There are several ways to use essential oils to treat HFMD. You can try any of them based on your priority and the severity of the disease:
- Dilute a few drops of any essential oil and apply it to the affected area.
- Put a few drops of essential oil in a diffuser and inhale the aroma. It will help you to have better sleep.
- Pour a few drops of any essential oil to your bath water and soak yourself in to get rid of the discomfort.
Precautions While Using Essential Oils for Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease
Essential oils must be handled with proper caution, especially when used on children. You may worsen the situation if you don’t know how to use them.
Things you need to follow when you use essential oils:
- Always dilute the essential oils before using. Some oils are quite strong and may irritate your skin.
- Some essential oils, such as clove oil is only for adults. Do not use them on children.
- Always do a patch test before the regular use of essential oils. In this way, you will know if the oil is suitable for you or your child.
- Do not use essential oils on your kid without consulting with your doctor.
Causes & Symptoms of Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease
The viruses responsible for HFMD are coxsackievirus a16 and enterovirus 71. 
You can get the virus just by coming into contact with a person with HFMD or by something with the virus. The doorknob, toys or any furniture may also carry the virus.
The disease isn’t deadly but can be extremely annoying. It will leave you with painful blisters, sores. Kids may even find it difficult to sleep.
You can identify HFMD by the following symptoms:
- Rash or blisters on the legs, hands, or feet.
- Ulcers or sores around and inside the mouth, especially inside the oral cavity.
- A sore throat with fever.
Should You Make an Appointment With The Doctor?
Although HFMD is a minor illness, it is highly contagious. Therefore, you need to get rid of it as soon as possible. These essential oils may help you relieve the pain and irritation. But you need to see a doctor especially if your child has the virus.
Contact your doctor if you see the following symptoms:
- Symptoms don’t go in a few days even after using the home remedies.
- Difficulty in eating, drinking, and swallowing.
- Fever that doesn’t go.
- If you keep your child in a daycare, other kids may get the virus. So, your child needs proper treatment for a quick recovery.
HFMD isn’t life-threatening, but an irritating disease to live with. The pain and irritation from the blisters can make your life miserable.
The disease can be painful to the kids. Some of them may not even sleep due to the pain and soreness. These essential oils may heal the symptoms without any side effects.
However, do not forget to use them as per the instructions. Do not use the oils on kids that aren’t meant for the kids.
Consult with the doctor immediately if you do not want to take chances with your kid’s health.