Did you know? Around 10% of the adult Americans experience tinnitus or ringing in the ears for at least five minutes daily. 
Tinnitus is a sensation of ringing sound in the ear. It can be annoying and stressful.
Essential oils may decrease the symptoms of tinnitus. 
But it’s a serious physical condition. You are highly recommended to consult a doctor first.
If tinnitus sounds like a heartbeat, it may state that there is a tumor or growth inside the ear. The ringing in the ears requires urgent medical support if it continues for a longer period.
Listed below are some essential oils for ringing in the ears to soothe the symptoms.
Best Essential Oils for Ringing in the Ears
1. Helichrysum Essential Oil
Tinnitus is often caused by inflammation in the ears and issues with the nerves in the neck and ears.
Using helichrysum oil assists in lowering the inflammation in the affected areas. It may reduce ringing sound in the ears.
2. Lavender Essential Oil
Anxiety and stress are some of the causes of tinnitus. So relieving stress can lower ringing in the ears.
Lavender oil acts as a decongestant that clears air passages in the body.
It aids in circulation in the head and ears and reduces the intensity of tinnitus.
You can heal the ringing in your ears by rubbing a few drops of lavender oil in your earlobes.
3. Juniper Berry Essential Oil
Juniper berry oil is good for inflammatory tinnitus. 
It is a great detoxifier. Juniper essential oil helps to cleanse the blood.
It can release toxins from the body and boosts the excretion of uric acid crystals.
The detoxifying action of juniper essential oil is useful in treating tinnitus. 
4. Cypress Essential Oil
Cypress essential oil can boost blood circulation.
If you have pulsatile tinnitus, you may face a problem with the blood circulation in your ears.
Using cypress essential oil around the ear will raise the blood circulation.  It can also lower the intensity of the ringing in ears.
Cypress oil has calming properties which may relax your nerves.
It can reduce your stress and nervousness as well.
5. Patchouli Essential Oil
Patchouli oil increases the blood circulation in the ear as well as helps ear drainage.
Massage the oil in the earlobe or behind the ear to ease the symptoms of tinnitus.
Using patchouli in small doses is enough to relax you.
6. Frankincense Oil
Frankincense oil comes from the tree resin. Since ancient time frankincense is an important ingredient in different cosmetic, spiritual, and medicinal practices.
Many patients have claimed the beneficial effects of frankincense oil for tinnitus.
How to Use Essential Oils for Tinnitus
The objective of using an essential oil is to reduce the intensity of the ringing sound in the ears.
- Apply 2-3 drops of any essential oil on the earlobe or behind the ear or on the neck by the ear.
- Gently massage the oil into the skin.
- It is strongly recommended not to put essential oils directly inside your ear canals.
- Repeat the treatment twice daily to get relief from tinnitus.
Symptoms of Tinnitus
A non-auditory noise that either occurs sometimes or is continuous. 
You may hear the sound in one or both the ears.
The ringing of the ears sound includes chirping, hissing, roaring, or buzzing.
The ringing sound differs in volume.
Precautions While Using Essential Oils
- Essential oils are considered to be useful for treating tinnitus. But you must follow some precautions while using them:
- Some of the essential oils are quite strong. You must dilute these oils with a carrier oil before using.
- Do a patch test before using them. If there’s an allergic reaction, do not use them.
- Pregnant women or breastfeeding mothers should not use essential oils.
- If you’re undergoing treatment for tinnitus, ask your doctor before using any of the essential oils.
When to See a Doctor
You may soothe some of the symptoms of tinnitus using essential oils. But these are not permanent solutions, and the ringing may come back again. That’s why you should see a doctor for proper treatment. 
Do consult with a doctor if the following symptoms occur:
- If the ringing remains constant for a long time.
- If tinnitus happens due to a head injury or trauma.
- If you have dizziness, hearing loss, and headaches.
- If you have tinnitus right after a respiratory infection.
Tinnitus is so common that it affects about 1 in every 5 people. 
Ringing in the ears can be annoying. But some essential oils may relieve the condition.
Tinnitus may be a sign of some serious medical problem. Hence you should go for a proper diagnosis and treatment.
These oils are safe and effective for reducing only the symptoms of tinnitus.
If the ringing gets worse, consult a doctor immediately.
READ NEXT: 7 Ways of Using Olive Oil for Ear Infections