Earwax is known as “cerumen” in the technical term. It is a substance generated in the ear to prevent the inner ear from dirt and the growth of bacteria.  The small glands of the outer ear canal pump it out under normal circumstances.
Too much buildup of earwax can cause blockage in the ear canal. This situation may lead to hearing loss, ear infection and ringing in the ears. 
Some essential oils may remove earwax effectively without posing any risk. Many research suggest the potent antibacterial, antifungal, and moisturizing effects of these oils that may be beneficial for removing earwax. 
You can also remove visible earwax with a cotton bud. But you should gently clean it and avoid poking too much inside your ears as it may lead to a severe ear infection.
Learn the efficacy and use of some essential oils for earwax impaction, plus the causes, and symptoms of earwax buildup and blockage.
Best Essential Oils for Earwax Removal
Using essential oils is an effective and safe way to remove earwax buildup and blockage.
Let’s find out why and how to use them.
1. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree essential oil is a perfect solution to remove wax from your ears.
This oil enables to loosen up the earwax.
Moreover, tea tree oil has natural antiseptic. It helps to diminish any bacteria or fungus which grows inside your ears.
A couple of drops of the oil help to cut down the waxy buildup issues to enable your ear heal on its own.
How to use tea tree oil for earwax:
- Give one or two drops of tea tree oil in your ears around 5 to 7 days.
- Tilt your head to the side when putting the drops to let the oil get into your ears.
- For quick relief, apply the oil twice a day.
2. Garlic Oil
One of the best and most natural remedies for removing your excess earwax is garlic oil.
It is antibacterial and best for cleansing the congestion. Thus, it is an excellent remedy for clearing your clogged ears. 
To get the best results, you can make the garlic oil at home from fresh garlic.
Just crush two garlic cloves and let it rest about 10 minutes.
Then pour 5 tablespoons of olive oil into the stove, add the crushed garlic and warm it up around 10 to 15 minutes. The healing properties of garlic will mix with olive oil.
You can take off the oil mixture from the stove and allow it to cool down.
After that, you can apply fresh homemade garlic oil to clean your clogged ears.
If you find the process difficult, get garlic essential oil from the store. Make sure to buy the superior quality garlic oil.
Use this wonderful essential oil to cleanse the congestion in your ears.
Learn how to use garlic oil for earwax:
- You can apply the fresh garlic oil made at home or use the store bought one.
- Put the oil to your ears for 1 minute to enable the wax to loosen up. It will remove the congestion makes your ears blocked.
- After that drain out the oil and experience the unclogged ears, free of wax.
3. Rosemary Oil
Rosemary is yet another useful essential oil to help you remove earwax.
The botanical name of rosemary oil is “Rosmarinus officinalis L. cineoliferum.” Remember this name as it’s vital for you to check it on the label before purchasing.
It helps you to differentiate between various rosemary species. Hence, you can get the right one for yourself.
Rosemary oil works great for clogged ears as it eliminates the wax and mucus by making them more fluid.
This oil contains strong antibacterial and antiviral properties. They help in clearing out sinus or ear blockages due to inflammation or infection. 
An easy way to use rosemary essential oil for earwax:
- Put one drop of rosemary oil in your ears mixing it with one teaspoon of carrier oil.
- Tilt your head to let the oil get into your ears.
4. Eucalyptus Radiata Oil
Cleanse your clogged pores with this super effective essential oil.
The botanical name for this oil is Eucalyptus radiate.
The oil is well renowned for curing all types of ENT (ear, nose, and throat) problems.
Eucalyptus oil is beneficial for clogged ears. It also works well for bronchitis, sinusitis, colds, and coughs.
The essential oil is high in cineole that helps in dissolving the excess wax from your ears. 
If the ear blockage occurs due to the earwax build up, then eucalyptus will provide your perfect aid to remove it.
For best results, you can blend it with rosemary oil. It will make a potent blend of the two oils in demolishing dirt and bacteria.
Here’s how you may use eucalyptus radiata oil for earwax:
- You can apply this oil along with other carrier oil or rosemary oil for useful results.
- Mix one drop of eucalyptus oil with a teaspoon of carrier oil and pour the blended oil on your clogged ears.
- Repeat this process daily until your earwax is cleared out.
5. Olive Oil
One of the primary causes of clogged ears is too much of earwax in your ear canal called wax impaction.
You can use olive oil for clogged ears by pouring warm olive oil into a dropper and give three drops into your ears.
Ensure that your clogged ear faces upwards so that it reaches the inner part of your ears where the wax is stuck.
For quick relief, repeat this process for a few days or until your ear feel clear.
Learn how you can use olive oil for earwax:
- You can mix one teaspoon of carrier oil with one drop of essential oil. Pour a drop into your ear while lying sideways.
- You can mix other essential oils for the blend. Apply one or two drops of essential oil with a teaspoon of other carrier oil.
- Gently massage the areas around your ears.
- Impaction or blockage happens when the earwax gets too thick in the ear canal.
- The impactions occur when you use objects such as bobby pins or rolled napkin corners. It removes the upper layer wax but pushes the remaining wax deeper into the ear canal.
- Sometimes, hearing aids and earplug users are more likely to get earwax blockage.
Earwax Impaction Symptoms
Symptoms of an earwax impaction are as follows:
- Hearing problem
- Pain in ears
- Feeling fullness in ears
- Ringing in the ears
- Irritation in ears or ear infection.
Why Your Ears Make Wax
It’s a normal process for your body to produce earwax as it helps to lubricate your ears.
Your ears would otherwise be itchy and dry if you didn’t have earwax.
It has antibacterial properties which makes your ears self-cleaning agents.
Earwax works as a filter for your ears by keeping out dirt and preventing them not to get deep inside your ears.
Precautions While Using Essential Oils for Ear Impaction
Essential oils are safe but can be dangerous if you don’t know how to use them. Always follow the below rules before you use any essential oils:
- A patch test is necessary before using any essential oils to your skin. In this way, you will know if you’re allergic to that particular oil or not.
- Do not use essential oils directly to your skin. Some essential oils are quite strong, thus irritate your skin. So, you must dilute these oils with a carrier oil first.
- If you’re pregnant or a breastfeeding mom, ask your doctor if you can use them or not.
- If you hurt yourself while cleaning the earwax using a bobby pin, don’t use essential oils on it. There could be an infection, and only a doctor should treat it.
Earwax is a self-cleaning agent which has lubricating protective and antibacterial properties.
Too much buildup and blockage of cerumen can cause earache, troubled hearing, and ear infection. 
Essential oils for earwax impaction are safe and effective remedies.
But, if you have some allergy issues, consult with your physician before using these essential oils.