Nutmeg originated from the islands of Indonesia. Soon, however, it started being cultivated all over the world. It gained popularity because of the unique flavor it adds to a dish. As a result, it is now grown in tropical islands all around the globe.
Nutmeg has been an important ingredient in Ayurvedic treatment for decades. Some of the nutritional properties of Nutmeg are responsible for its positive therapeutic effects 
This article reviews Nutmeg’s nutritional and therapeutic values of Nutmeg, its health benefits, and its uses.
Nutritional and Therapeutic Values of Nutmeg
- Manganese: Manganese offers a tonne of health benefits such as tissue regeneration. Hormonal balance, controlling blood pressure, calcium absorption, and boosting metabolism. 
- Thiamine: It helps with the proper functioning of both the cardiovascular system and the nervous system. Its primary function is to break down protein and fats and release energy. 
- Vitamin B6: It helps with a lot of health benefits such as helping anemia, strengthening blood vessels, improving eyesight, controlling arthritis, and even curing depression. 
- Folate: Also known as Vitamin B9. It helps tissue formation, reducing cancer risks, cell generation, DNA synthesis, and repair. 
- Dietary Fiber: It helps cure strokes, hypertension, heart diseases, low blood pressure, and many more diseases. 
- Magnesium: It helps regulate blood sugar levels. Magnesium also relieves anxiety. It helps release energy and improves cardiovascular function. It also treats insomnia. 
- Copper: Copper helps improve liver and kidney functions. It helps in energy production. 
11 Health Benefits of Nutmeg- Based on Evidence
1. Nutmeg May Cure Indigestion
Nutmeg has an array of ingredients in it that helps promote digestion.
The dietary fibers in Nutmeg improve bowel movements. It also makes the peristaltic motion of the abdominal muscles more efficient. 
Nutmeg also helps release intestinal juices and enzymes that help cure indigestion. Not only that, but it helps with gastric issues related to digestion.
Nutmeg powder is shown to be particularly helpful when it comes to curing digestion-related issues.
Nutmeg can heal many indigestion-related issues such as constipation, heartburn, diarrhea, bloating, and stomach aches.
READ NEXT: 19 Home Remedies to Get Rid of Indigestion Fast
2. It is a Natural Painkiller
Nutmeg acts as a natural painkiller because of three of its characteristics. 
Firstly, Nutmeg is a natural analgesic. It has pain relieving properties that can cure joint pain, muscle pain, wounds, and sprains.
Secondly, Nutmeg has anti-inflammatory characteristics. This is particularly helpful for people who have arthritis. It not only heals inflammation but also stops it from coming back.
Thirdly, Nutmeg contains massive amounts of antioxidants. This property is particularly helpful for people who suffer from chronic headaches and abdominal pains due to infections.
3. Nutmeg May Heal Insomnia
Nutmeg has sedative properties that help heal insomnia.
The magnesium in Nutmeg helps relax the neurotransmitters and allows the mind to rest. Therefore it not only helps you sleep but also improves sleep quality.
Nutmeg helps release serotonin. Serotonin also helps relax the mind and has sedative abilities. Once the serotonin is transferred to the brain, it is converted to melatonin. Melatonin is known for its sleep-inducing actions. 
There are hints of narcotics in the composition of Nutmeg. Natural narcotics, when taken in small amounts, are not harmful. These narcotic element helps release neurotransmitter and aid sleeping.
READ MORE: 13 Essential Oils For Better Sleep every day (I Like No#2 Most)
4. Nutmeg May Improve Kidney Function
Nutmeg is a diuretic in nature. This means that it can control the amount of salt and water released from your body in the form of urine. Therefore, improving kidney function. 
Nutmeg also has shown great functions when it comes to curing kidney stones. Its actions involve dissolving kidney stones and stopping their further formation of them.
The detoxifying action of Nutmeg helps release toxins from the liver and kidney. When there are lesser toxins, all organs work better. 
5. It May Fight Cancer
The antioxidant properties of nutmeg help kill radicals that cause cancer. 
Nutmeg has chemicals similar to methanol as its element. The fundamental characteristic promotes cell death, thus killing a vast number of cancer cells.
By killing cancerous cells at its very first stage, Nutmeg ensures that no distribution and metastasis of cancer cells in the body. 
READ NEXT: 12 Essential Oils for Cancer That You Should Know (Backed by Evidence)
6. Nutmeg May Control Blood Pressure
Nutmeg contains minerals that help improve a lot of health functions, including the circulatory system.
Nutmeg contains iron which is necessary for a good red blood cell count. It helps fight anemia. Since most anemic patients suffer from low blood pressure, Nutmeg helps solve that.
Nutmeg also contains potassium as one of its minerals. The potassium in Nutmeg makes it a natural vasodilator. As a result, it assists blood vessels in relaxing. Therefore, helping reduce high blood pressure.
Controlling blood pressure is essential to having a healthy cardiovascular system. Nutmeg helps patients with both high blood pressure and low blood pressure. Thus you need to get Nutmeg for overall well-being. 
7. It Can Improve Oral Health
Nutmeg has powerful antibacterial properties. Dental problems often go unnoticed till it’s too late. Nutmeg helps kill bacteria that cause a cavity, swollen gums, gum bleeding, tooth decay, and much more.
Nutmeg is also a natural cure for bad breath also known as halitosis. Bad breath is caused by bacteria that build up over time in our mouths. Thus the antibacterial function of Nutmeg also comes in handy here.
Nutmeg also contains calcium. Calcium is essential for the actual quality of the teeth. Therefore, it protects teeth from decay. 
A lot of herbal toothpaste use nutmeg in its composition for its ability to improve oral health.
8. Nutmeg is Good for Skin Treatment
Nutmeg helps you get the smooth and perfect skin you desire.
One of the significant issues that Nutmeg solves is acne. The antiseptic qualities of nutmeg help relieve acne and stop them from coming back. The best part is that it also heals the scars left behind from acne. 
Nutmegs absorb oil as a spice. So it works wonderfully as a treatment for blackheads and clogged pores. You can even use a nutmeg scrub to remove dead skin cells to achieve beautiful and supple skin.
9. It May Improve Brain Function
Nutmeg contains two essential oils called malignant and myristicin.
The two essential oils in Nutmeg help improve memory. It works as a cure for Alzheimer’s disease and dementia. 
Nutmeg maintains the overall health of neurotransmitters that help the brain to function normally.
10. Nutmeg May Fight Depression
Nutmeg is a natural mood booster. It helps induce feelings of joy and positivity that help fight depression and anxiety. 
Serotonin helps impact mood and uplift it. Many of the prescribed medicines use that function to fight depression.
Nutmeg also helps release dopamine. It creates a stimulatory effect that induces feelings of positivity and helps fight depression.
Many antidepressant drugs have sedative effects. Nutmeg naturally has soothing effects, which help you get better quality sleep required for a better mood.
READ MORE: 11 Natural Ways to Get Rid of Depression
11. It May Control Sugar Levels
Insulin is the element that helps the movement of glucose to cells, producing energy.
Nutmeg helps the body to ensure that there is no resistance to insulin development. This is particularly helpful with people who have diabetes.
Insulin sensitivity is crucial as it stops glucose from building up in the blood. Insulin resistance is one of the primary causes to initiate diabetes.
Nutmeg helps the body respond to insulin and promotes proper transportation of it around the blood.
How to Use Nutmeg
There are many ways to incorporate Nutmeg into your daily life. However, some of these methods focus more on a specific health benefit than others. So check out this list to get the best effect from Nutmeg.
Nutmeg Dosage for Consumption:
- Mix a pinch of nutmeg powder to a glass of water and drink daily.
- Another easy way is to add a bit of nutmeg powder to soup or curry and eat it every day.
Nutmeg and Milk ( For better sleep/ depression):
- Add one-fourth teaspoon of Nutmeg and cinnamon to a warm glass of milk for better sleep and to uplift your mood. Cinnamon is optional in case you don’t like the taste of it.
Nutmeg Scrub ( For skin treatment)
- Mix Nutmeg powder and honey and use it as a face and body scrub.
- Apply it to the skin and massage gently for three minutes.
- Wash your face and see the results instantly!
Nutmeg Essential Oil (Pain Relief Treatment)
- Apply Nutmeg Essential oil to all the areas that hurt or when it pain.
- This oil works particularly well for arthritis and muscle pain.
The nutritional properties of Nutmeg are plenty, and so are its benefits. It is a natural remedy for various health issues. Very few spices offer the level of effectiveness that Nutmeg provides. However, always check the amount of Nutmeg you use to get the best results and avoid side effects.
READ NEXT: 12 Anti-Inflammatory Herbs That You Should Know About