Frankincense essential oil benefits are many, which include working as an alternative treatment for arthritis, ulcerative colitis, cancer, skin care conditions, and hair care conditions, among many other benefits.
The first time it was used as a treatment was in 1500 BC .
Frankincense oil’s health benefits have been the subject of scientific investigation. Let’s find out what researchers have uncovered about frankincense oil’s medicinal and healing benefits.
12 Frankincense Essential Oil Benefits Based On Research
1. Frankincense Oil Works as an Anti-Cancer
Cancer indeed claims the lives of many people each year.
It’s important to know that cancer is a preventable and treatable disease.
To prevent cancer, a healthy lifestyle and avoiding possible carcinogens are essential.
To combat it, meanwhile, early intervention is necessary.
Anti-cancer natural remedies can help prevent cancer cells from forming and spreading to other body parts.
Apart from its efficacy, its compounds can distinguish between cancer cells and healthy cells, destroying the former and leaving the latter unharmed .
Although home remedies are not meant to replace medical advice and treatment, this oil can be considered a complementary treatment or, perhaps, an alternative to chemotherapy, harming the healthy cells.
- Frankincense oil is a proven anti-cancer treatment.
- It can safely treat cancer, killing only harmful cells and leaving healthy cells alone.
- Unlike chemotherapy, this one does not destroy the healthy cells in the body.
2. Frankincense Oil Can Stop Staph Infections
Can you imagine bacteria living on your skin and some body parts?
Bacteria exist in our bodies and even aid in some bodily processes.
A type of bacteria that can be found in the body is Staphylococcus.
According to Mayo Clinic, this type of bacteria can be normally found in the nose and skin of humans.
It usually doesn’t cause any problems among healthy individuals. Still, there are times when it leads to “minor skin infections” or even deadly diseases when bacteria penetrate deeper into the body and organs.
Fortunately, staph infections can be controlled by natural remedies that possess antibacterial properties.
Its active compounds are attributed to its antimicrobial properties, namely alpha-pinene, alpha-thujene, beta-pinene, myrcene, limonene, p-cymene and beta-caryophyllene .
These compounds are also active against other types of bacteria, which is why frankincense has been dubbed a versatile antimicrobial .
On top of all these, frankincense has also been highly potent against bacterial strains that have grown resistant to antibiotics .
- Staphylococcus bacteria can exist in your body and not cause any harm.
- However, when there’s an overgrowth of this bacterium, it can cause an infection.
- Prevent staph infections with antibacterial frankincense oil that has inhibitory actions on this and other types of bacteria.
- Frankincense works even on methicilin-resistant strains of Staphylococcus.
3. Frankincense Oil Tones Down Inflammation
Acute inflammation isn’t something to panic about.
The body’s way of removing foreign invaders may cause infection.
It only becomes a problem when inflammation becomes chronic and persistent or when healthy tissues are affected.
One way to tone down chronic inflammation is using frankincense oil.
In a study conducted by Japanese researchers, it was noted that frankincense’s anti-inflammatory activity was at a 50 per cent rate .
How does frankincense work in reducing swelling?
So if you’re suffering from any inflammation-related health issues, frankincense oil can help.
- Inflammation helps the body eliminate harmful pathogens, but it can be a problem when it becomes chronic and persistent.
- To reduce inflammation, natural remedies like frankincense oil can help.
- It contains anti-inflammatory agents such as boswellic acids and quercetin.
4. Frankincense Oil Can Treat Ulcerative Colitis
A type of inflammatory bowel disease, ulcerative colitis is characterized by sores, lesions, and inflammation in the colon explains Wikipedia.
When you have this ailment, you’ll experience unpleasant symptoms such as abdominal pain, rectal bleeding, diarrhea, fever, fatigue, and loss of appetite.
It can also give you the recurrent urge to pass bowels, a condition called tenesmus.
Management of this disease can be done with the help of anti-inflammatory agents like frankincense oil.
In 2001, a team of scientists from the Medical College Jammu in India tested the effects of frankincense in 30 patients with colitis who suffered from diarrhea, abdominal pain, and bleeding in the rectum .
Of these participants, 20 received a topical preparation made with frankincense in three doses for six weeks .
The rest of the participants were given sulfasalazine in three doses for six weeks .
Almost all the patients in the frankincense group showed significant improvement in their condition .
Researchers conclude that frankincense treats this colon problem safely and with minimal adverse effects .
In another trial performed by the same group of researchers, it was found that the boswellic acids in frankincense were responsible for these beneficial actions .
- As an anti-inflammatory agent, frankincense oil can help treat ulcerative colitis, a condition of having sores and ulcers in the colon.
- Boswellic acids are said to be the ones contributing to these beneficial properties.
5. Frankincense Oil Relieves Bronchial Asthma
Some people see asthma as a “minor nuisance”, a manageable condition that causes only minor problems.
However, people need to know that asthma is a potentially fatal disease if not given immediate attention.
That’s because it causes difficulty in breathing, which can worsen over time.
To ensure you can control your asthma attacks, use proven and effective asthma remedies such as frankincense oil.
The positive effects of frankincense oil for asthmatic patients have been established in scientific literature.
In one published in the European Journal of Medical Research, 40 asthmatic patients ages 18 to 75 participated in a study that probed frankincense oil’s effects on bronchial inflammation .
The participants were given either frankincense preparation or placebo three times a day for six weeks .
Results show that 70 per cent of the patients showed improvement, which was much higher than the 27 per cent rate achieved by the placebo group .
Researchers noted a reduction in frequency and severity of attacks .
This is enough reason to believe that frankincense oil is a promising treatment for bronchial asthma.
- Control asthma attacks with the help of frankincense oil, which as research shows, can reduce the frequency and severity of the condition.
6. Frankincense Oil Alleviates Arthritis
Suffering from arthritis?
You’re not alone. Fact is, this is one of the most common types of inflammatory diseases that affect many people worldwide.
According to Wikipedia, there are more than a hundred types of arthritis.
An Indian study involving 30 participants with osteoarthritis reported a significant reduction in joint pain, improved flexibility, and greater walking distance .
In a separate study, this time participated in by over 260 patients with rheumatoid arthritis, it was shown that those who used frankincense experienced minor swelling, pain, and stiffness without any reports of side effects .
The great thing about frankincense oil is that it works efficiently and is safe to use even in the long term.
- Frankincense can be an effective remedy for two of the most common types of arthritis: osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
- It can alleviate symptoms linked to arthritis, such as joint pain, inflammation, stiffness, and difficulty walking.
7. Frankincense Oil Promotes Immunity
To live a healthy life, you need to have a disease-free one.
The best way is to build a more robust defense against infections and disease by boosting your immune system.
You can do this with the help of frankincense oil.
Research conducted at the Mansoura University in Egypt revealed that frankincense has active compounds called boswellic acids that have immunomodulatory properties .
- Strengthen the immune system to build a better defense against disease.
- Frankincense has immunomodulatory properties thanks to its boswellic acids.
8. Frankincense Oil Provides Pain Relief
You’ll find it challenging to be as productive as you usually are when you’re in pain.
The only problem is that you’d want to avoid taking painkillers as much as possible, as you don’t want to expose yourself to excessive chemicals.
Relying on natural methods is a better idea.
Frankincense can be a viable remedy, whether it’s chronic back pain or an occasional tummy ache.
This makes frankincense oil an effective solution for inflammatory diseases that cause pain.
- Getting relief from pain the natural way saves you from being exposed to harmful chemicals and gives you the pain relief you are looking for.
- Using frankincense oil helps, as it has analgesic properties that work by inhibiting an enzyme called 5-lipoxygenase.
9. Frankincense Oil Can Ward Off Alzheimer’s Disease
Alzheimer’s disease is the most common form of dementia, accounting for up to 70 per cent of dementia cases .
Memory loss is the hallmark of this chronic and progressive neurodegenerative disease .
It has many other symptoms such as confusion, inability to learn new things, delusions, paranoia, hallucinations, difficulty performing multi-step activities, and impulsive behavior.
It’s good to know that certain natural substances like frankincense oil has neuroprotective agents that can help ward off this disease .
Frankincense oil has been found to impact the memory positively and mental performance of rats induced with Alzheimer’s disease .
- Alzheimer’s disease, the most common type of dementia, can be prevented or delayed using the neuroprotective agents in frankincense oil.
10. Frankincense Oil Can Treat Diarrhea
Anyone who’s had it can attest to how difficult it is to have diarrhea.
Described as a condition of uncontrollable watery stools, diarrhea is often caused by a bacterial or viral infection, reports Medicine Net.
The most common cause is food poisoning, which occurs when consuming food contaminated with bacteria such as E. coli.
It’s not just the multiple visits to the comfort room that would distress you, but so would the abdominal pain, discomfort, and vomiting caused by this condition.
One way to relieve this problem is with frankincense oil.
- To get immediate relief from diarrhea, make use of frankincense oil, which has antibacterial, analgesic, and anti-inflammatory properties.
- It can relieve diarrhea without causing constipation.
11. Frankincense Oil Prevents Anxiety Attacks
While it’s normal to feel anxious or worried about something, it can become a problem when these negative emotions affect your daily life.
Anxiety disorder is a common mental illness that affects up to 6.8 million people .
What can help resolve this issue is aromatherapy using oils with anxiolytic effects like frankincense oil.
Studies report that frankincense can significantly reduce anxiety and prevent anxiety attacks [32, 33].
Inhalation of frankincense oil has been proven effective in calming the nerves and soothing the senses.
- Frankincense has anxiolytic effects that can help tone down anxiety and prevent attacks.
12. Frankincense Oil Relieves Headaches
Pain can be anything from throbbing, sharp, or dull and occurs in any part or region of the head .
A quick way to get relief is by applying frankincense oil.
A study published in 2012 reported that frankincense reduces the severity and frequency of headaches among patients .
It also helps induce good quality sleep, which is a boon for headache sufferers who find it hard to get enough rest because of the pain.
- A proven analgesic, frankincense can be your go-to solution when the headache pain is no longer tolerable.
There’s a good reason frankincense oil has been used since ancient times until today.
It’s because time and again, frankincense essential oil benefits has proven highly effective, warding off numerous diseases and helping keep people in top health.
It’s always a good idea to have frankincense oil in your home, ready for use anytime.