Did you know that baking soda, commonly used as a food ingredient all over the world, also has its skin benefits?
If you have sensitive or acne-prone skin and are looking for a secure yet reliable way to treat them, you’ve come to the right place.
Baking soda can help you in reducing your acne as well as the symptoms that are accompanied by it.
To know more about how you may develop acne and why you should use baking soda for acne treatment, read further.
RELATED: Green Tea for Acne: How Effective?
How You May Develop Acne?
Acne accompanies inflammation and redness of the skin. It also results in pimples and swollen skin with visible scarring. 
The glands extract oil which gets mixed up with the dead skin cells and blocks the hair follicles.  The blocked pores then act as an abode for the acne-causing bacteria.
Pollutants and dirt disturb your skin’s natural balance and irritate, which results in acne.
Acne makes your skin rough and bumpy which we all dislike.
To get rid of this problem, you need to look after your skin and improve your skincare routine.
Baking soda can be one of your best companions on this journey to better-looking skin.
What is Baking Soda?
Baking soda is actually a salt. 
It has a composition of sodium and bicarbonate ions.
The baking soda that we generally use is in powder form. It is cheap yet storage-friendly and very readily available.
Along with its various use in cooking, it has a vital contribution in eliminating many health problems.
Even more than that, baking soda does wonders for your acne affected skin and ensures relief to it.
Why You Should Use Baking Soda for Treating Acne?
- Baking soda has potent anti-inflammatory properties.
- It can reduce pigmentation of your skin.
- It helps in reducing scars caused by acne.
- Baking soda has great exfoliating agents.
- The use of it balances oil production of your skin.
- Baking soda also helps in balancing a healthy pH level.
12 Baking Soda Home Remedies for Acne
1. A Paste of Baking Soda and Water
You can use a paste of baking soda and water for spot treatment.
One of the results of acne is pimples which are swollen parts of your skin. 
The spot treatment method of baking soda helps your pimples to dry off faster.
As they dry off, they start shrinking soon and get healed in almost no time.
Baking soda also balances out the pH level of your skin which prevents further infections.
- Add water to some baking soda and make a smooth paste.
- Clean your face and pat it dry. Apply the paste generously to the affected areas of your face.
- Wait for at least 15 minutes and wash off with lukewarm water.
- Lastly, apply a noncomedogenic moisturizer.
- Repeat on alternate days.
2. Baking Soda with Coconut Oil
Coconut oil works great for acne.
The oil is enriched with lauric acid which is a medium-chain fatty acid. 
Lauric acid works on your acne affected skin and reduces scarring and irritation. 
- Take a bowl and mix some of your face-wash with coconut oil and 2 tablespoons of baking soda.
- Clean your face with a few splashes of water and apply the mixture.
- Massage your skin thoroughly for a few minutes and wash off with water.
- Pat dry and apply a moisturizer.
3. Baking Soda and Olive Oil
It also has high anti-inflammatory and healing properties.
The oil reduces inflammation of your skin and makes the healing process quicker.
Olive oil also repairs damaged skin cells and provides nourishment to the skin. 
A mixture of baking soda and olive oil helps treat your acne while ensuring perfect moisture and comfort in the skin.
- Mix baking soda and olive oil to make a smooth paste.
- Apply the paste to your skin and massage gently in a circular motion for 5 to 8 minutes.
- Wash it off using lukewarm water and repeat possibly every day.
4. Baking Soda and Organic Honey
Honey is a wonderful moisturizing agent.
It has bleaching properties that wash away the stubborn scars of your skin caused by acne. 
Organic honey binds moisture and nourishment to your skin-cells, making your skin smooth and soft.
A blend of organic honey along with baking soda will clear your acne and remove the scars and blemishes from your skin.
- Mix honey and baking soda together to form a thick paste.
- Cleanse your face and apply a good layer of the paste.
- Warm up the washcloth and cover your face with it leaving for sometimes till it gets cold.
- Wipe the mixture off with the washcloth and rinse your face using cool water.
- You can repeat this daily.
5. Baking Soda and Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil does miracles to your skin.
The oil is famous for its anti-inflammatory agents that work on your acne affected skin and soothe it by calming down the inflammation. 
A perfect blend of baking soda and tea tree oil will take care of your acne related problems with almost no hazard.
- Combine a tablespoon of baking soda with 2-3 drops of tea tree oil to form a paste. Apply it to your acne affected skin.
- Keep it on for 15 minutes before rinsing off thoroughly with lukewarm water.
6. Baking Soda and Fuller’s Earth Clay Mask
Fuller’s earth clay controls the excess oil production of your skin by absorbing them. 
Sebum, if produced in excess, may cause acne along with skin irritations. 
The clay moisturizes your skin and amplifies the soothing process of acne.
It provides proper hydration and prevents your skin from redness caused by acne.
A mask made of fuller’s earth clay and baking soda exfoliates your skin, unclogs pores, treats your acne affected skin and prevents it from further appearance.
- Mix baking soda with fuller’s earth clay. Slowly add a good facial oil as you mix, until you get a fine paste.
- Apply a good layer of the mask on your skin and leave it to dry.
- Wash off using lukewarm water.
- Repeat this twice a week.
7. Baking Soda with Lavender Essential Oil
Its strong antiseptic property fights acne-causing bacteria.
The oil provides essential nutrients to your skin and thus makes it firm and toned.
It maintains a proper blood circulation which promotes the generation of new skin cells and heals the acne affected skin faster. 
So feel free to mix some of this oil with baking soda and treat your skin better.
- Stir up Lavender oil with some baking powder.
- Leave for 20 minutes before rinsing off with lukewarm water.
- Repeat this process twice a week.
8. Baking Soda with Grapeseed Essential Oil
Grapeseed oil is packed with vitamins and fatty acids.
It is also rich in beta-carotene which helps to lock in the moisture to your skin.
It is very lightweight and thin in consistency, which makes it of great use for the skin.
Application of grapeseed oil will treat your acne, reduce scars and remove blemishes caused by acne. 
A combination of baking soda and this oil acts as one of the best remedies for acne-prone skins.
- Mix baking soda with grapeseed oil; add in olive oil to make a smooth paste.
- Apply the paste to your affected area, wait for 15 minutes and wash off with lukewarm water.
- Repeat twice a week.
9. A Mask Using Baking Soda and Milk
Milk is enriched with lactic acid which helps in clearing the pores of your skin, treats the infected area and controls the production of sebum. 
Milk also keeps your skin hydrated and tones down the pigmentation.
A paste made of milk and baking powder will exfoliate your skin better and help you get rid of acne.
An added benefit of this mixture is that it helps in removing blackheads.
- Make a smooth paste by mixing a quarter cup of milk with baking soda as needed. Massage it gently on your affected skin.
- Continue massaging in a circular motion for a few minutes.
- Leave it to rest for 5 minutes more and rinse off with cool water.
- Repeat on alternate days.
10. Baking Soda and Oatmeal Mask
Oatmeal absorbs the excess oil and balances a natural texture of your skin.
Oatmeal also protects your skin from harmful ultraviolet rays and reduces sun damage. 
A mask made of oatmeal and baking soda will leave your skin soft, smooth and moist.
It will help clearing your acne as well as making your skin healthy.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of baking soda with two tablespoons of oatmeal and water each. Apply the mixture to your affected skin.
- Wait until the mixture dries out and wash with lukewarm water.
- Use a good moisturizer and repeat this a few times a week.
11. Baking Soda with Lemon Juice
Lemon juice is great for minimizing pores that are caused by acne and pigmentation.
It also helps to shrink off the swollen skin and controls the excessive oil production.
Lemon juice has strong antibacterial agents which combat the acne-causing bacteria and reduce redness. 
Combining baking soda with some lemon juice will help you get a flawless skin with smooth pores and texture.
- Cleanse your face and pat it dry.
- Make a paste with 2 tablespoons of baking powder, 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and an equal amount of water.
- Apply a thin layer of the mixture as a mask on your affected area.
- Keep it on for up to 15 minutes and wash off properly with lukewarm water.
- Apply a good moisturizer and repeat this once every week.
12. Baking Soda and Apple Cider Vinegar
It is often found that the use of baking soda dries out the skin too much for some people.
It restricts the alkaline of baking soda to dry out your skin.
Apple cider vinegar maintains a healthy pH on your acne affected skin.
It helps the pimples to shrink fast and minimizes pores as well.
- Mix up baking soda, apple cider vinegar, and an equal amount of water to form a smooth paste. Put it generously over your acne.
- Leave till it starts to feel tight on your skin and wash off using cool water.
- Apply a good moisturizer afterward.
- Repeat the process once a week.
Tips and Precautions
- Perform a patch-test on a little part of your skin beforehand. If you feel any significant irritation or inflammation, refrain yourself from further use.
- If you have very sensitive skin and tend to experience an allergic reaction from using any of the above remedies, stop using it immediately.
- Wash your face a few times a day with plain cool water. But don’t over-wash.
- Exfoliate your skin at least once daily.
- Don’t forget to use a good, non-comedogenic moisturizer if your skin feels too dry after the application of baking soda.
- Use a good SPF while going out.
There are countless products out there which promise you perfect skin that is clear and free of acne.
Surely you get benefits from using most of them. But at the same time, you can’t deny the fact that many of those products have chemicals incorporated in them that can cause reactions on your skin.
The remedies described above are all natural and worth trying.
So add baking soda to your skincare list and enjoy the great benefits.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask us.
Also, don’t forget to tell us if these remedies worked for you by commenting in our comment section below.