Getting ready for the study isn’t as easy as it sounds. It requires focus, concentration, mood, as well as great memory power.
For centuries, essential oils have been used to improve focus, concentration, memory, and boost overall cognitive ability. These therapeutic oils have a refreshing aroma that helps you to study with proper concentration.
This article looks into some effective essential oils for studying that may help increase your focus, concentration, and overall cognition. Some of them may also help reduce muscle and joint pain due to a longer study session.
Essential Oils for Studying
1. Rosemary Essential Oil
Cognitive intelligence is essential to continue with your study successfully, and rosemary oil can be the perfect choice for you.
Research published in the Therapeutic Advances in Psychopharmacology shows that properties found in the aroma of rosemary can positively affect cognition through different neurochemical pathways. 
The invigorating aroma of this essential oil can enhance your concentration and increase memory. 
The best part of this oil is it can soothe your back pain if you’re studying for a longer time.
2. Peppermint Essential Oil
Peppermint oil can be the best option to maintain a consistent focus, thanks to its sharp fragrance.
A 2008 research was published in The International Journal of Neuroscience, which proves the ability of peppermint oil in improving cognition. 
If you feel sleepy while studying, using peppermint oil may help improve alertness and memory.
3. Sweet Orange Essential Oil
If you’re prone to suffer from exam blues, this essential oil is a must for you. Sweet orange oil can help you fight anxiety and depression you may have during the exam.
Study shows the aroma of sweet orange oil may alleviate the fatigue induced by exercise. 
Like other citrusy essential oil, sweet orange oil can soothe your nerves and improves focus with its invigorating scent.
4. Eucalyptus Essential Oil
The fresh and sharp fragrance of eucalyptus oil can awake your senses and enhance mental clarity.
You may have to study for a bit longer during the exam time, which can cause muscle and joint pain. Eucalyptus can be your go-to essential oil for treating pain, as well as headaches. 
Besides, the antimicrobial properties of this oil can boost your immunity and ward off seasonal viruses, keeping you healthy during your exam. 
5. Ylang Ylang Essential Oil
Ylang ylang essential oil originates from the flowers of Cananga odorata. The sweet floral aroma makes it the ultimate relaxing oil when it comes to soothing stress and anxiety.
In the same study for peppermint oil, ylang-ylang essential oil showed similar effectiveness in improving cognition and mood. 
The soothing components of this oil can help you keep calm and relaxed during the time of high stress.
The best part of ylang-ylang oil is that it can relax your mind and body without making you sleepy or drowsy.
How to Use Essential Oils for Studying?
- Aromatherapy is the best choice when it comes to using essential oils to improve focus and concentration. Pour some essential oils into a diffuser and inhale the aroma while you’re trying to focus on your study.
- Dilute a few drops of essential oils and apply them to your forehead, behind your neck and ears to get a quick jolt of energy, or reducing joint pain.
- You can also sniff the aroma directly from the bottle.
- Put some diluted essential oil in a rollerball bottle and carry it with you. Rub the oil on your temples or behind your ears whenever you need.
Precautions While Using Essential Oils
- Do not consume the essential oils. Use them only for aromatherapy and topical application.
- For topical application, do a patch test before you apply them regularly.
- Consult with your doctor before using any essential oil if you have conditions like hypertension, epilepsy, or asthma.
- Keep the essential oils away from children and pet.
Staying focused is the hardest part for most students when they try to study. However, it’s essential to put your full concentration on study if you want to do well in your exam.
While these essential oils can help you stay calm and focused, some of them can also sharpen your brain, making you more productive.
Based on your choice of fragrance, choose any of the above-mentioned essential oils to see what they can do to improve your concentration and focus.