Skin tags or Acrochorda are small, unsightly growths of tissues that hang on your skin. They mostly show up on your eyelids, in the neck, armpits, chest, cleavage, and in the groin area. (1)
Skin tags are full of blood vessels and collagen fibers. Obese women and seniors are more prone to suffer from skin tags. (2)
Skin tags are harmless. But it’s embarrassing to sport them on your beautiful skin.
If you resort to a dermatologist, he may surgically remove your skin tags with cryosurgery or electrosurgery. (3) These surgeries will be too heavy for your wallet.
Why go for an expensive surgical treatment when you can naturally remove skin tags using tea tree essential oil?
In this article is you’ll learn how to easily remove skin tags at home using tea tree oil.
Inside you’ll learn:
- Tea Tree Oil: a Natural Remedy for Skin Tags.
- Why use Tea Tree Oil for Skin Tags?
- How to Use Tea Tree Oil for Skin Tags?
- Tips and Precautions.
- Answers to Some Frequently Asked Questions.
Tea Tree Oil: a Natural Remedy for Skin Tags
Tea tree oil comes from the evergreen Melaleuca alternifolia, a native of Australia. This herbal oil has a pale yellow color and mothball-like odor. (4)
This cheap herbal oil is famous for curing fungal and bacterial infections. The skin care industries rely a lot on tea tree oil for a wide range of cosmetics and skin care products.
The antiseptic and anti-bacterial components of tea tree oil are ideal for the cure of skin tags, coughs, cold, flu, chest congestion, congested nose, acne, yeast infections, burns, and minor cuts. (5)
Why UseTea Tree Oil for Skin Tags?
The secret of tea tree oil in treating skin tags lie in its antibacterial and astringent properties.
These components can dehydrate the blood vessels and fibers inside the skin tags. Thus the unsightly skin tags dry and falls off of your skin without any pain and bleeding.
It’s all natural: Tea tree essential oil comes from the distillation of Melaleuca alternifolia tree leaves. The steam distillation keeps intact the therapeutic values of the tea tree leaves. (6)
Tea tree oil is all natural with no preservatives or additives in it. That’s why tea tree oil is superior to other chemical induced creams and drugs which may have the backlash of side effects.
Antiseptic: One of the significant benefits of tea tree oil is its sterile quality. Tea tree oil can purify your skin from all toxins and harmful microbes.
If you cut off your skin tags in a fit of irritation and bleed yourself, tea tree oil can help you disinfect the area and ease the pain. (7)
Powerful Antimicrobial: A study shows that terpinen-4-ol in tea tree oil is a potent antimicrobial agent. (8) It is not clear whether any microbes or bacteria are responsible for causing skin tags or not.
However, tea tree oil can keep your skin bacteria free and prevent harmful germs from worsening the skin condition.
Anti-inflammatory Agent: the anecdotal evidence in tea tree oil confirms its anti-inflammatory power.
Tea tree oil can reduce the redness around the skin tags. It is also of great help in treating the inflamed wounds of skin tags. (9)
How to Use Tea Tree Oil for Skin Tags?
1. Direct Application of Tea Tree Oil
This method refers to topically applying the undiluted oil to zap off your skin tags.
- Wash the skin tags and the surrounding skin area with a mild soap and water. Then dry the skin with a towel.
- Pour 4 drops of tea tree oil on a cotton ball.
- Softly press the cotton ball on your skin tags and move it in a circular motion over them.
- Keep on massaging the skin tags in this way for 5 minutes.
- Or, you can fix the cotton ball on the skin tags using a medical tape.
- After 5 minutes wash off the area using cold water.
- Repeat the process 3 times daily until you zap off the skin tags.
- Dilute tea tree oil, if you have dry or sensitive skin.
2. Tea Tree Oil with Apple Cider Vinegar and Lemon Juice
Apple cider vinegar or ACV is a ‘cure-all’ home remedy. ACV is fermented apple juice mixed with acetic acid. (10) It has potent antibacterial and anti-inflammatory components to treat your skin tags.
Lemon is another excellent source of antibacterial properties such as phytoncides, and L-ascorbic acid. (11)
ACV and lemon juice along with Tea tree oil can effectively balance the pH or acidic level of your skin and zap off skin tags.
- In a bowl mix 4 drops of ACV, lemon juice and 3 drops of tea tree oil and make a solution.
- Soak a cotton ball in the solution.
- Press the cotton ball on your skin tags and massage for few minutes.
- You can fix it on the skin tags using a medical tape for prolonged contact.
- Remove it after 15 minutes.
- Repeat the process 3 times daily until the skin tags become dark, dry, and fall off of your skin.
3. Tea Tree Oil with Olive Oil
There are more than twelve polyphenols in extra virgin olive oil. A study proves the antibacterial activities of these phenolic compounds. (12) A pair of tea tree oil and olive oil can remove your skin tags in no time.
- Add 3 drops of tea tree oil to 1 teaspoon of olive oil and mix them well.
- Soak a cotton ball in the solution and apply it to your skin tags.
- Massage the skin tags with the cotton ball for several minutes.
- Alternatively, place the oil-soaked cotton ball on the skin tags and wrap it with a bandage.
- Repeat the process until the skin tags fall off naturally.
4. Tea Tree Oil with Castor Oil
Castor oil has a prominent place in Ayurvedic practices. Its antibacterial properties are significant in treating skin diseases. (13) A bond of tea tree oil and castor oil can be very efficient in removing vaginal skin tags.
- Add 4 drops of tea tree oil to 1 teaspoon of castor oil and make a solution
- Dip a cotton ball in the solution
- Apply it to the skin tags and wrap it up with a bandage for close contact.
- Repeat the process until you get a good result.
Note: If the oil solution doesn’t agree with your skin, then rinse it off immediately.
5. Tea Tree Oil with Garlic Juice
Garlic may stink and sting, but it never fails to heal you. Garlic cloves are a storehouse of anti-inflammatory and antifungal properties. (14)
So it is evident that a combination of garlic juice and tea tree oil for skin tags is all that you need.
- mix some 1 tablespoon of garlic juice with 4 drops of tea tree oil.
- Apply the solution to your skin tags.
6. Tea Tree Oil with Vitamin E Oil
It is an authoritative source of antioxidants. Vitamin E oil can help dry off the skin tags and remove them naturally from your skin. (15)
- Add 4 drops of tea tree oil with 1 tablespoon of vitamin E oil
- Massage the solution on your skin tags and cover them with a bandage
- Redo the process once daily until you see good results.
7. Tea Tree Oil with Oregano Essential Oil
This essential oil can be an ideal carrier oil to treat skin tags. A regular application of the soil solution will help you get rid of the unsightly growths in a week. (16)
- Mix oregano and tea tree oil 4 drops each
- Soak a cotton ball in the blend and apply it to the skin tags
- Let the solution air dry on your skin
8. Tea Tree Oil with Coconut Oil
It is an all-time favorite and the most readily available skin care product. The lauric acid in coconut oil is rich in antimicrobial properties. (17)
- Just add 4 drops of tea tree oil with 1 teaspoon of coconut oil
- Apply the solution on your skin tags before you go to bed every night
- Repeat the application regularly, and your skin tags will vanish in no time
Tips and Precautions (18)
You should be aware of specific tips and precautions before using tea tree oil for skin tags:
- Go for a patch test before using tea tree oil directly on your skin. Simply, apply a drop of the oil on your elbow and see for any reactions. If you find any irritations or discomforts, you should avoid the treatment.
- Never consume tea tree oil orally.
- Never exceed the limit of 3-4 drops of tea tree oil in your procedures. You should dilute the oil with your favorite carrier oil for the maximum benefits.
- Be careful of using tea tree oil for skin tags on the eyelids, genitals, and the anus. Make sure the oil never enters your eyes.
- If you are pregnant, you have to consult a doctor before using tea tree oil remedies.
- Always choose the 100% organic tea tree oil for the best results.
Answers to Some Frequently Asked Questions
Are skin tags dangerous?
- The answer is an absolute ‘NO.’ Skin tags are not life-threatening. They are just unsightly overgrown skin tissues. With a regular application of the methods as mentioned earlier, you can surely do away with your skin tags.
How long does it take for a skin tag to fall off?
- The result depends on your persistent practice of any of the processes mentioned above. From the sharing of many skin tags victims, it is evident that the result may show up from 4 days to 2 weeks time.
What are the causes of skin tags?
- There are no particular reasons as to why you get a skin tag in the first place. However, the following conditions may trigger the appearance of skin tags: Human papillomavirus or HPV (1), obesity, diabetes, hormonal imbalance, and using steroids.
There are hundreds of skin tags remover products available in the market. However, tea tree essential oil is an all-natural remedy and the best bet for annoying skin tags.
We are all ears to listen to your experience of using tea tree oil for treating skin tags. Share your experience with us in the comment section below.