Warts are skin growths caused by an infection. These non-cancerous small skin bumps can either be rough or smooth to touch. They are usually brown or grayish black in color. 
The primary reason behind developing a wart is infection caused by human papillomavirus (HPV). 
It’s good to know that most warts disappear without treatment after a few months.
But some can last for years .
Researchers have been investigating the efficacy of tea tree oil or Melaleuca Alternifolia for various skin disorders for a long time. The oil has potent antiviral and anti-inflammatory effects against different strains of virus including HPV. 
Experts are of the opinion that tea tree oil may work as an effective remedy for treating warts naturally. 
This article reviews the properties, benefits and uses of tea tree oil for warts removal. Plus, the types and causes of developing warts.
Properties of Tea Tree Oil
Tea Tree Oil, also known as Melaleuca oil, originates from the leaves of the tea tree.
Tea trees are actually Australian plants known as Melaleuca Alternifolia. These are native to Queensland and New South Wales, Australia.
In Australia, people have been using tea tree oil as a natural medicine for over a century ago .
It was only in the recent years that it has also become popular in other parts of the world. It is now being used in Europe, North America and in some countries in Asia.
Both compounds show powerful antibacterial, antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties .
Tea tree oil has broad-spectrum inhibitory effects against a wide range of viruses, bacteria, fungi, and protozoa species .
Experts recommend this oil for the treatment of infections and inflammatory diseases. Such as: chronic gingivitis, acne, and seborrheic dermatitis . It has also efficient in speeding up the healing of wounds and reducing the risk of certain forms of cancer .
Nowadays, you’ll find tea tree oil as an ingredient in various cosmetics & products. Such as: facial creams, shampoos, massage oils, skin lotions, and many more .
Read More: 10 Easy Ways to Use Tea Tree Oil for Scabies
How Tea Tree Oil Helps You to Get Rid of Warts
One of the many ways tea tree oil promotes skin health is by getting rid of warts.
Here are the primary ways it works:
- Tea tree oil has antiseptic and antiviral effects. They inhibit the growth and spread of the virus causing warts.
- Tea tree oil also has antibacterial properties. These components may prevent further infection of the skin.
- Tea tree oil contains terpinene-4-ol. It has a potent anti-inflammatory that tones down skin swelling.
- Tea tree oil may help stop the growth of warts and at the same time, make them dry so they can fall off on their own.
In a study, tea tree oil successfully treated warts on a patient’s middle finger on her right hand .
Daily application of tea tree oil for 12 days helped grow new tissues in the area infected by the human papillomavirus .
A study conducted by researchers from Iran echoes these findings, confirming the strong virucidal properties of tea tree oil, and how it is a suitable treatment for skin infections caused by viruses .
11 Ways of Using Tea Tree Oil to Get Rid of Warts
Consider these tea tree oil remedies for getting rid of warts on your skin. These remedies use tea tree oil, combined with other natural ingredients such as water, carrier oils and so on.
Some of the other ingredients only serve as a way to dilute tea tree oil. Because it cannot be used in its pure form, otherwise, it will cause skin irritation.
The other ingredients like garlic also have potent antimicrobial effects. It may help boost the effects of tea tree oil.
1. Dilute Tea Tree Oil in Water
Tea tree oil is so potent that you cannot use it directly on the skin. You need to dilute the oil with water or a carrier oil.
How to use tea tree oil for wart removal:
- To dilute the tea tree oil take 1 cup of warm water and 5 drops of tea tree oil.
- First, soak the area with warts in warm water.
- Next, pour tea tree oil on a bandage and cover your warts with a bandage.
- Leave the bandage on for 8 to 10 hours, or overnight.
- Remove the bandage and soak warts in warm water again.
- Repeat procedure daily until warts fall off.
2. Combine Tea Tree Oil and Aloe Vera
Learn how you can use tea tree oil and aloe vera for warts:
- To prepare this remedy, you will need 1 teaspoon of tea tree oil and 1 tablespoon of aloe vera gel.
- Mix tea tree oil and aloe vera gel and apply the mixture to warts.
- Cover the infected area with medical tape or bandage and let it sit for 10 hours.
- Remove the tape or bandage after 10 hours.
- Do this remedy once or twice a day for several months.
Read More: How to Use Honey and Cinnamon for Cold?
3. Mix Tea Tree Oil and Avocado Oil
Try this tea tree oil and avocado oil mix for warts:
- Take 5 drops of tea tree oil and 1 tablespoon of avocado oil in a bowl.
- Mix the oil and apply to your skin and gently massage for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Cover the application with a clean cloth.
- Leave it overnight.
- The next day, rinse with water. Use this remedy every day until warts are gone.
Read More: 19 Effective Ways to Get Rid of Pinkeye
4. Add Crushed Garlic to Tea Tree Oil
Garlic is a powerful antiviral agent. You can combine it with tea tree oil to suppress the viral infection. 
How to remove warts using garlic and tea tree oil:
- To prepare this remedy take 4 drops of tea tree oil, 1 teaspoon of olive oil and 1 clove of garlic.
- Mix tea tree oil and olive oil.
- Then, apply the oil blend to your skin.
- Crush garlic cloves and put those garlic cloves on top of your warts.
- Cover it with a bandage and wait till the next day before removing.
- Wash it off with warm water after removing the bandage.
- Do the same procedure every day for up to one month.
5. Apply Tea Tree Oil, Baking Soda, and Castor Oil
Try this combination of baking soda, castor oil and tea tree oil for plantar warts:
- Take 1 teaspoon of baking soda,1 teaspoon of castor oil, and 4 drops of tea tree oil.
- Combine all the ingredients and spread a thin layer on your warts.
- Massage gently for 10 minutes and wrap a bandage around the wart.
- Wash it the next day with warm water.
- Apply this remedy every day for one to two months.
Read More: 15 Proven Home Remedies for Stomach Flu
6. Pair Tea Tree Oil with Hot Water Soak
Hot water can help soften the skin growth and facilitate its easy removal. Make sure that the water is not too hot.
A simple way to use tea tree oil and hot water soak for plantar warts:
Take 1 basin of warm water, 1 teaspoon of olive oil, and 5 drops of tea tree oil.
Soak your warts in warm water for 10 minutes. Water should not be too hot. Repeat this two to three times.
Combine olive oil and tea tree oil and apply the oil combination on your warts. Cover with a bandage after you are done applying the oil. Let it sit for 30 minutes before removing the bandage. Once again, soak the wart in warm water two to three times.
Do this process once a day for one to two months.
7. Tea Tree Oil With Oregano Oil
Oregano oil is rich in great pain relieving agents, antiseptic, and antimicrobial properties . A combination of oregano and tea tree oil may combat HPV and get rid of your warts fast.
Learn how to use tea tree oil with oregano oil for warts:
To prepare this you will need 3 drops of oregano oil, 1 drop of clove oil, 2 drops of lemongrass oil, 2 to 3 drops of tea tree oil and few drops of sweet almond oil.
Mix all the oil in a bowl and apply it on your warts using a cotton ball. Leave it on your skin for few hours or overnight and then wash off. Repeat daily for a couple of weeks.
8. Tea Tree Oil With Other Essential Oils
There are many essential oils out there that are very useful in treating warts.
You can combine some of these essential oils with your tea tree oil for better results.
Some of the best essential oils that you can use are:
- Lavender essential oil,
- Clove essential oil,
- Eucalyptus essential oil,
- Peppermint essential oil, and
- Lemongrass essential oil.
How to use tea tree oil and other essential oils for warts:
Take a few drops of any 2 or 3 essential oils of your choice and mix it with 3 to 4 drops of tea tree oil. Apply the mixture on your warts with the help of a cotton ball. Cover the area with a bandage.
Let the mixture sit on your skin for few hours before rinsing off. Repeat daily. You can store the combination oil in a dark and airtight jar for few months.
9. Tea Tree Oil And Grapefruit Seeds
How to use grapefruit seeds and tea tree oil for genital warts:
To prepare this remedy take 1 tablespoon of powdered grape seeds and 5 drops of tea tree oil.
Mix tea tree oil with the powdered grape seeds and combine well to make a smooth paste. Apply this paste to your affected area and leave it on your skin for at least 20 to 30 minutes. Wash it off using lukewarm water and pat dry. Repeat this process twice daily.
10. Combination of Tea Tree Oil and Apple Cider Vinegar
The antimicrobial properties in ACV may prove to be effective against warts.
Try this mix of tea tree oil and ACV for warts:
You need one drop of tea tree oil, one drop of apple cider vinegar, two to three drops of water and a band-aid.
Combine all the ingredients together and apply on the wart. Cover your wart with the band-aid. Repeat this process every five hours and use a fresh band-aid every time.
11. Tea Tree Oil With Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is a popular ingredient for skin care. Its antiviral compounds amplify the abilities of tea tree oil in removing warts.
This combination oil may help warts to dislodge from the skin and promote faster healing of the affected skin area.
How to use tea tree oil and coconut oil for genital warts:
For this remedy, you will need 2 drops of tea tree oil and 4 drops of coconut oil
Mix tea tree oil and coconut oil and apply on warts. Do this twice daily.
Tips And Precautions
- Dilute tea tree oil with a healthy carrier oil or other ingredients first before applying on your skin.
- If the warts are too severe, avoid applying it and consult a doctor.
- Do a patch test on your skin before applying it to your affected area.
- Before using this oil on pregnant women and child, it is recommended to consult a doctor first.
- If you feel any irritation or inflammation on the skin, wipe off immediately. Also, avoid using further.
- If you feel any burning sensation, apply some petroleum jelly on that area.
- Store your tea tree oil in an airtight jar.
- Keep the jar at a place which is dry and free from direct sunlight.
Types and Causes of Warts
Warts are contagious. They can spread by direct contact with the infected skin or with an object that has been exposed to the wart.
It then causes the epidermis or the skin’s topmost layer to grow too fast, and that’s when warts occur .
Different Types of Warts
Warts come in five primary types:
- Common warts – These are rough and grainy round bumps. Common warts usually appear on the toes and fingers.
- Plantar Warts – These warts grow into the skin, usually on the soles of the feet.
- Flat Warts – Flat warts are small and flat and can be anywhere from pink to brown to pale yellow.
- Filiform Warts – Appear on the mouth, nose, neck, and shin.These are small warts that look like a flap.
- Periungual Warts – These are painful warts. The warts grow underneath the nails, hindering their proper growth .
Most warts do not cause any pain. But, if a wart grows on a part of the body that’s subjected to pressure such as the sole of the foot, it can cause great pain and discomfort .
Skin growth such as warts are caused by HPV viral infection. These are not cancerous. Warts are very common and most of the time goes away within a few weeks or months.
Warts can develop in different parts of your body and can have various forms. Warts most of the time develop on children and teenagers.
There’s no need to undergo expensive skin treatment for warts. Many scientific literature suggest the efficacy of using tea tree oil for warts. You may consult an expert to learn about the most effective method of using tea tree oil for this skin problem.
In case the oil doesn’t show any beneficial effects on your warts, seek for a dermatologist for proper treatment.