Healthy hair is a sign of beauty. We all want to have thick luscious hair that is glossy, soft to the touch and feel gorgeous.
Having a full head of gorgeous locks can boost your confidence and help you feel good in general. However, most of us tend to suffer from dull, dry, and brittle hair.
There are also several home remedies to help treat and prevent such issues one being black seed oil.
Kalonji or Black seed oil has been a gift of nature. It is derived from the annual flowering plant called Nigella Sativa (also known as Black Caraway). (1)
The seeds, as well as the flower, have proven to be quite useful as the science has proved several benefits of this wonderful product. (2)
In this article, you will learn the following:
- Uses of black seed oil.
- Black seed oil hair benefits.
- Black seed oil hair care recipes.
10 Amazing Benefits & Uses of Kalonji (Black Seed Oil) for Hair
1. Black Seed Oil can Stimulate Hair Growth
Black seed oil is good for hair growth because it has stimulating agents such as nigellone and thymoquinone.
These are powerful antihistamines. Antihistamines are prescribed to patients who have alopecia. The oil helps in stimulating the follicles to promote growing hair and treat bald patches in the scalp. (3)
Using black seed oil is a sure way to enjoy the benefits of using antihistamines without having to use medication.
How to use:
- Take one tablespoon of black seed oil and one tablespoon of castor oil.
- heat the mixture for 5 minutes and apply this mixture director the scalp and not the midshaft or the ends of the hair.
- Doing this treatment once a week will give the boost to your hair.
- The castor oil adds a bonus in providing the scalp with extra nourishment to promote hair growth in dormant hair follicles.
2. Black Seed Oil Repairs Hair Damage
Our daily busy lifestyle and hectic schedule leave our hair exposed to the sun as well the other elements which in turn can cause damage.
Black seed oil contains antioxidants which can reverse the damage and fight free radicals damaging the hair and the scalp. (2) Thus the oil provides with a healthy and damage-repaired hair.
How to use:
- Take one tablespoon of black seed oil (also known as kalonji oil) with 3 tablespoons of olive oil as a carrier oil.
- Distribute this mixture evenly from scalp to the ends.
- The combination of two oils will supply the hair with minerals and vitamins which will make the hair soft and shiny. Most importantly it will bring a healthier look to the hair.
3. Kalonji Oil Softens the Hair
Black seed oil contains plant acids, fatty acids and amino acids which can penetrate and replenish the lipid barrier.
Thus the oil prevents the drying of the hair shaft and the scalp.
Black seed oil can help rejuvenate the hair, conditioning it and repairing it from further damage.
How to use:
- A good recipe to treat dry hair is to mix black seed oil in actual amounts of coconut oil and aloe vera juice.
- The vitamin E in coconut oil along with the black seed oil nutrients will penetrate deep into the hair shaft making it softer and smoother.
4. Black Seed Oil Treats Hair Fall
Black seed oil is known to carry over 100 nutrients which can nourish the scalp and treat follicles to rejuvenate hair. (4)
The nutrients in kalonji oil supply the scalp with moisture and proper nourishment. It stimulates the follicles to be stronger and more resilient to hair fall.
How to use:
- Mix black seed oil, honey, and coconut oil one tablespoon each.
- Apply the mixture evenly through the ends of your hair from the roots.
- Leave it for 45 minutes in a shower cap is ideal.
- Doing this treatment once or twice a week will guarantee positive results.
5. Kalonji Oil Treats Dandruff
Black seed oil can penetrate deep into the skin’s lipid layer with its nutrients and acids. The oil treats dandruff deep within and bring back the moisture to the scalp. (5)
How to use:
- Take one tablespoon of black seed oil and mix it with one tablespoon of lemon juice.
- Lemon juice is packed with vitamin C which can help treat dandruff.
- Apply the mixture to the scalp and leave it in for 45 minutes.
- Afterward wash twice with your regular shampoo.
6. Black Seed Oil Seals Split Ends
Black seed oil is packed with amino acids, plant acids and fatty acids which can create a barrier on the outside layer of the shaft. Thus the oil prevents broken ends and damaged hair. (5)
The acids will deeply penetrate into the hair and form a protective coating to prevent further damage by locking in moisture more readily.
How to use:
- Before going to bed apply a teaspoon of black seed oil to the ends of the hair and leave it all night long while you sleep.
- You can either rinse it in the morning and leave it until the next time you decide to wash your hair with shampoo.
7. Black Seed Oil can Treat Inflammation of the Scalp
Black seed oil contains anti-inflammatory properties. Which can treat such issues as it can soothe and heal the scalp in no time.
How to use:
- For this, you need 1 tablespoon of kalonji oil with one tablespoon of aloe vera gel.
- Mix the two to create a smooth mixture.
- Apply the mixture to the scalp and leave it on for an hour.
- The aloe vera gel along with the kalonji oil will neutralize an itchy dry scalp and keep it hydrated at the same time.
8. Kalonji Oil Curbs Hair Graying
Graying of the hair can be caused by several factors such as a poor lifestyle, genetic reasoning and the most common being a sign of aging. (7)
Gray hair is the result of the depleting of pigment in the hair follicles over time.
Black seed oil is loaded with nutrients and vitamins B1, B2 and B3; which prevent the depletion of dye in the strands.
How to use:
- Take one tablespoon of black seed oil and evenly apply this to the hair from the roots to the ends. You can leave this on for 30 minutes then wash your hair with a mild shampoo.
- Use the method consistently every week, once or twice should be good enough.
- This will make sure your hair stays vibrant with a glossy look.
9. Black Seed Oil Boosts Hair Volume
Black seed oil is not only known for treating hair loss and restoring bald patches.
It can also work as a hair volumizing treatment.
Kalonji oil contains nutrients which assist in nourishing the hair to give it a fuller look. We all want thick, voluminous hair, and Kalonji oil is said to do just that.
How to use:
- Mix five teaspoons of black seed oil with the juice of half a lemon.
- Keep this mixture in a spray bottle.
- After shampooing, instead of reaching out to your conditioner bottle take the spray bottle.
- Shake well before use and liberally apply this mixture to your hair and leave it for 5 minutes. Afterward, rinse your hair with cool water thoroughly and clean it with water.
- Let it air dry for best results and watch your hair transform.
10. Black Seed Oil Gives Shine to the Hair
The nutrients in kalonji oil provides the hair with a boost in smoothness and shine. The vitamins in the oil provide nourishment while the emollients provide moisture and hydration.
How to use:
- Just take black seed oil and olive oil one tablespoon each plus two tablespoons of honey.
- Mix these properly and apply the mixture to the hair and leave it on for a 1 hour.
- Then shampoo as usual.
- Repeat this once a week and with consistency you will achieve positive results.
Other Benefits & Uses of Black Seed Oil
- Using kalonji oil for treating acne. Kalonji oil is antibacterial and can help kill acne-causing bacteria. Only take a small amount of the oil and apply it to the area of a pimple to leave it overnight. Wake up to a reduced pimple magically.
- Kalonji oil is used to treat wrinkles and fight signs of premature aging, as it is packed with nutrients and antioxidants. Apply generous amounts of kalonji oil to the face and leave it overnight as a treatment for the skin.
- Black seed oil is used to soften and treat dry skin, it is a natural emollient and is known to provide sufficient moisture.
- Black seed oil can also even out skin tone. You can use this oil to give your skin a lovely radiant glow.
- Use black seed oil on your eyelash and eyebrows to make them fuller and thicker.
- Men can use black seed oil in their facial area to promote better beard growth.
- You can treat diseases such as eczema and rashes through the application of black seed oil.
- You can promote better oral health as in have better teeth and gums through the use of black seed oil. Oil pulling with kalonji oil promotes healthier, whiter teeth, stronger gums which are less prone to sensitivity and a fresher breath. You can even add essential oils to give it a stronger pleasant scent for your oral care.
- Consumption of Black seed oil in combination with other ayurvedic herbs can be used as a treatment for several diseases such as Asthma, Toothache, Polio, Paralysis, Ladies Diseases, Cancer, Blood Pressure, Kidney Pain, Stomach Ache, Back pain, Jaundice, Stomach Worms, Psoriasis, Eye Diseases, Obesity, Skin Diseases, Piles, Constipation, Headache, Hypertension, Allergy, Heart attack, Diabetes, and Coughing. (8)
- Vinegar with black seed oil application has proven to be promoting a glowing skin; this mixture should be applied before bed.
- Avoid using too much kalonji oil on the scalp as it can lead to irritation. It is best advised to use the oil with a carrier oil like olive oil, coconut oil, mustard oil, etc.
- Some individuals have reported having allergic sensitivity to black seed oil. (9)Try to do a patch test with a small amount of the oil on the skin before full application. Better safe than sorry.
- Black seed oil contains glucoside which is toxic, which is why it is advised to use black seed oil in moderation and not in excessive amounts.
- One possible side effect of using black seed oil is contact dermatitis. Contact dermatitis on the skin is an adverse reaction to an allergen or irritant.
Black seed oil is rich with a lot of health beneficial compounds.
The oil is useful when it comes to treating several ailments, enhancing our natural beauty to ultimate hair care solution.
Black seed oil has been proven to work wonder, and some have said it is a magic ingredient that has changed their entire life.
Isn’t it a good idea to invest in good quality black seed oil as it can provide overall hair care solutions?
Be sure to buy black seed oil without any additives. Cold pressed black seed oil is generally the best quality oil to buy.
Share with us your experience of using black seed oil. Write in the comment section.