Want to give your hair that extra bit of moisture?
Use castor oil for hair.
Castor oil is considered to be a very important part of the beauty products industry for a long time. It is useful for both your skin and hair, including the scalp.
Beauty products with fancier containers and larger price tags took over this natural, magic potion that was once an essential for many.
But these days people are taking their steps a little backward to give their skin and hair the best treatment possible.
And so, once again, castor oil has become one of the most popular oils of recent days.
So let’s read further to know why you should use castor oil for your hair and how to do so.
Castor Oil and Its Properties
Castor oil is a pure vegetable oil which is obtained by pressing the seeds of the castor oil plants scientifically named as Ricinus Communis. 
It has this pale yellow color with a distinctive odor to it.
The oil has natural antifungal and antibacterial properties. 
Benefits of Castor Oil for Your Hair
The oil achieved massive popularity for its amazing contribution to hair care.
So let’s take a look why you should add this to your daily hair care routine.
1. Castor Oil Combats Hair Loss
Castor oil is of great help when it comes to combat the hair loss. 
One of the main reasons for hair loss is clogged hair follicles.
As your hair is often exposed to all the dirt and pollutants, these harmful elements come in close contact with your scalp and clog the follicles. 
Clogged hair follicles hamper the natural sebum production of the scalp and become an abode for bacteria.
You can follow the steps that are described below to get the best result.
- Mix castor oil with any other hair oil and warm up a little.
- Take some drops of the mixture in the palm of your hand and start applying thoroughly all over your hair and scalp massaging slowly.
- Take a towel and drench it in hot water. Squeeze the water out and cover your entire head with it.
- Leave your hair like this until the towel gets cold. Repeat this for at least three times.
- Take the towel off your head and massage your hair again before washing it off with shampoo.
- Repeat the process three times a week to get the best result for your hair.
2. Castor Oil Helps in Reducing Dandruff
Dandruff is a common hair problem.
Dandruff is mainly the result of the dry and rough scalp.
If your scalp is too dry, it eventually promotes dandruff and flaky skin. Both of these are extremely unwanted.
Inflammation, itchiness often accompany dandruff and cause further scalp infections.
Castor oil can provide moisture and hydration to your scalp and prevent it from becoming too dry.
The use of castor oil will reduce dandruff, and the antifungal property of this oil will treat the symptoms accompanied by it.
- Mix some castor oil with any other light weighted oil and warm up a little.
- Take a few drops of the mixture in the palm of your hand, apply to your hair and scalp. While applying the oil onto your scalp, massage it gently in a circular motion for a few minutes so that the gets absorbed
- Cover your entire hair and head with a shower cap and leave it like this for a few hours and if possible, overnight.
- Wash your hair properly with some shampoo and repeat this process a few times a week.
3. Castor Oil Works as a Natural Leave-in Conditioner
Moisture and nourishment are very important when it comes to having healthy and lustrous hair.
In our everyday life, we use many after-wash conditioners for our hair which we purchase from shops.
All these conditioners are chemically enhanced and damage the health of your hair to some extent in the long run.
This is exactly where castor oil comes in. The oil is a natural conditioner which you can easily apply after shampooing your hair as a leave-in conditioner. 
It has great moisturizing and nourishing agents which give you the perfect nourishment and an attractive look.
- Wash your hair with a good shampoo first and then take a few drops of castor oil and apply it all over your wet hair.
- Don’t wash it off and repeat every time after shampooing your hair.
4. Castor Oil Ensures Fuller and Thicker Hair
Castor oil has thick consistency and texture to it that can ensure proper nourishment to your hair.
When it is about having a head full of thick hair, roots play a vital role. 
If the roots of your hair are well maintained and perfectly nourished, it will promote stronger and thicker hair.
- Mix some castor oil with a healthy hair oil.
- Add a few drops of rosemary oil and apply the mixture all over
your hair and scalp especially concentrating on the roots of your hair.
- Leave the oil to rest on your hair for a couple of hours before washing it off.
5. Castor Oil Helps in Reducing Scalp Infections
Castor oil has its very own and naturally antibacterial and antifungal properties. These properties can be of great use when it comes to reducing scalp infections.
The scalp is prone to dust and dirt and easily gets infected when the follicles get clogged.
The use of castor oil not only unclogs those follicles but also takes great care of the sensitive skin of your scalp and treats them well. 
- Take 3 tablespoons of castor oil and 4 tablespoons of coconut oil in a bowl.
- Add in a bunch of rosemary and warm the oil up for 2 or 3 minutes over low heat.
- Take some mixture and apply it to your entire scalp massaging very gently.
- Leave it to rest for an hour and wash off.
- Repeat few times a week till you get relief from the infections.
6. Castor Oil Replenishes Natural Oil
Scalp produces natural oil known as sebum. 
Sebum plays an important role in balancing the skin and preventing infections and other hair problems. Clogged pores hamper the natural production of sebum.
Also, an oily scalp sometimes starts producing sebum in excess.
Castor oil unclogs the follicles in your hair and replenishes the sebum production.
- Take 2 tablespoons of castor oil and mix it with some olive oil.
- Warm it a little and apply on your scalp massaging in a circular motion.
- Let it sit for 30 minutes before washing off.
7. Castor Oil as a Hair Styling Product
You can use castor oil as a hair styling product.
Just a tiny amount of castor oil can give your hair a nice glow and add a hint of sheen to it. 
You can use this as a hairspray. Just keep the spray bottle in your bathroom and spray it every time you take a shower or wash your hair off with shampoo.
- Mix a tiny amount of castor oil with water and fill a spray bottle with the mixture.
- Spray some of the mixtures over your entire hair and run your fingers into them.
- Separate your hair into few parts and apply the mixture to one part each time. This will ensure the oil to get mixed with your entire hair.
8. Castor Oil Defines Curls
As the oil is very consistent in thickness, only a little amount of it, if applied on the curls can define them well.
- Make a hair serum by mixing your castor oil with any other essential oil.
- Apply this serum all over your hair after washing your hair with shampoo.
Other Uses of Castor Oil (Bonus)
- Castor oil along with all its derivatives is used massively in the production of different soaps and perfumes.
- The oil is also used in the manufacturing of waxes and lubricants.
- In many places, the derivatives are used in the production of different paints, dyes, and polishes.
Frequently Asked Q & A
Q 1: How often should you use castor oil on your hair?
A 1: You can use this oil whenever you want to. But to get the best result, it’s better to use this oil at least twice a week on a regular basis.
Q 2: How should you remove the oil?
A 2: Now, the removal of this oil can be a little tough at times as its consistency is very thick. Shampooing once is not enough to remove all the oil from your hair and scalp. The best way to avoid this problem is to dilute the oil by mixing in other oils and keeping the mixture in your hair overnight and wash it off the next day. Thus it becomes easier to get rid of.
Tips and Precautions
- Do a patch test before the major application.
- Dilute the oil with any other lightweight hair oil as the oil is very thick.
- Wash your hair regularly.
- Try to buy 100% pure and authentic castor oil.
- If you incur an allergic reaction from using this oil, refrain from further use.
You can make any hairstyle out of a head full of thick, healthy and long hair. You need to tap into the benefits of castor oil for hair care as described here.
Taking all the necessary steps mentioned above, you can ensure good looking hair that will make you come out as a more confident and strong person.
Castor oil is inexpensive, while its importance in your everyday life is huge.
So, if you truly love your hair and desire the best for them, start using castor oil on a regular basis from now on.
Hope this article came to your help. If you have any questions, feel free to ask in our comment section below.
Read Next: 18 Benefits of Argan Oil for Hair