Essential oils have anti-inflammatory properties that may help reduce pain and discomfort. Some people even suggest using essential oils for hemorrhoids.
A hemorrhoid is a painful condition that refers to swollen veins in the lower rectum and anus .
Also known as piles, it can cause a great amount of pain, discomfort, and even bleeding. 
This condition can lead to serious medical complications. You need to seek medical attention as soon as you discover the symptoms.
Remember, essential oils are only supplementary treatment options besides OTC medications for hemorrhoids.
This article reviews the evidence-based benefits and uses of essential oils for hemorrhoids.
Potential Essential Oils to Shrink Hemorrhoids
1. Geranium Oil
Geranium is an aromatic perennial flowering plant. It has been popular for its medicinal values in Europe since the early seventeenth century .
Today, it is being hybridized in many parts of the world .
At present, the major producers of geranium oil are China, Morocco, and Egypt .
And many people rely on this oil for treating some health conditions.
This oil can inhibit paw edema induced by carrageenan in animal subjects .
Geranium oil can also boost the immune system, detoxify the lymphatic system, and promote blood circulation .
How to use geranium oil for hemorrhoids:
- Mix 6 drops of geranium oil and 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Using a cotton ball, apply the mixture to the affected area.
- Do this three times a day for one week.
2. Tea Tree Oil
The use of tea tree oil in complementary medicine dates back 100 years ago. Complementary medicine includes folk medicine and Ayurvedic medicines .
Currently, it is available in many parts of the world in its pure form. It’s also an important ingredient in healthcare and skincare products .
Tea tree oil is rich in antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties. Thus, it’s one of the viable essential oils for hemorrhoids solution .
Moreover, the oil is rich in terpenes, monoterpenes, and sesquiterpenes .
A study tested the efficacy of an anti-hemorrhoidal topical ointment. It had tea tree oil as one of its active ingredients .
36 patients suffering from hemorrhoids tested that product .
The participants came into two groups. The first of them received the product while the other took a placebo .
The ointment alleviated anal pain, bleeding, and inflammation after 14 days of use .
It’s also good to know that the formulation did not cause any adverse reaction among the users .
Learn how you may use tea tree oil for hemorrhoids:
- Blend 2 drops of tea tree oil and 1 tsp of castor oil.
- Place the oil mixture in a glass jar.
- Pour a few drops of the oil mixture on a cotton ball.
- Apply to the affected area.
- Repeat twice a day for one week.
3. Lavender Oil
If there’s an essential oil that’s most popular for its relaxation effects, it has to be lavender oil.
For thousands of years, it has been used for its calming and soothing properties.
But, these are not everything it could do.
It is also effective for painful inflammatory conditions such as hemorrhoids.
At a dosage of 200 mg/kg, this oil can inhibit carrageenan-induced paw edema in animal subjects .
Not only does it tone down swelling, but it also decreases pain in the anus and rectum.
An easy way to treat hemorrhoids using lavender oil:
- Dilute 5 drops of lavender oil with 1 tablespoon of jojoba oil.
- Dip a clean cloth into the mixture.
- Tap the cloth on the affected area.
- Do this two to three times a day for one week, or until you feel better.
4. Cypress Oil
Natural treatments like cypress oil are effective and safe to use.
You’ll be less exposed to harmful chemicals that can put your health at risk.
So how effective is cypress oil for those with hemorrhoids?
There was a study to find out how well herbal remedies work in treating hemorrhoids .
Cypress is one of the herbal plants included in the study .
The vasoconstrictor ion contents contribute to the curative properties of this oil .
Here’s how you may use cypress oil for hemorrhoids:
- Add 10 drops of cypress oil to warm bathwater.
- Soak in the bathwater for 30 minutes.
- Repeat every day for one to two weeks.
5. Frankincense Oil
Frankincense oil originates from the Boswellia tree. It is commonly found in the mountainous areas of the Middle East, Northern Africa, and India .
This oil comes from the tree’s oleo-gum resin. Ancient healers used it to treat wounds, sores, and inflammation .
It contains monoterpenes, diterpenes, triterpenic acids, and triterpenes. They are responsible for the anti-inflammatory actions of frankincense .
It also has sedative and analgesic effects that can help in the treatment of hemorrhoids .
By using frankincense oil, you won’t only tone down swelling, but also ease the pain and discomfort that come with it.
How to use frankincense essential oil for hemorrhoids:
- Combine 3 drops of frankincense oil and 2 tablespoons of liquid lanolin.
- Massage the affected area with the mixture.
- Follow this remedy once a day for one week, or until the inflammation subsides.
6. Chamomile Oil
Many people turn to chamomile tea to calm their racing minds.
It’s known for its ability to soothe and relax the nerves and reduce anxiety.
Its oil extract is beneficial as well.
It can cure a diverse array of health problems.
That’s because it’s a natural anti-inflammatory and sedative agent. You can also use it without worrying about any adverse effects .
Try this chamomile oil recipe for hemorrhoids:
- Add 7 drops of chamomile oil to 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Dip a cotton ball in the mixture.
- Apply to the affected area.
- Repeat every day for one week.
7. Juniper Oil
Juniper oil has been a staple in Turkish folk medicine. It can provide relief for fungal infections, colds, coughs, and bronchitis .
It also works well for people suffering from hemorrhoids, reports a 2009 study .
In this study, scientists from Turkey evaluated the effects of five species of juniper as an anti-inflammatory and antinociceptive .
They made use of PGE(2)-induced and carrageenan-induced hind paw edema to test its anti-inflammatory effects, and p-benzoquinone-induced writhing and hot plate tests to analyze its antinociceptive activities .
Results show that all five species at a dosage of 100 mg/kg demonstrated significant inhibition of inflammation and pain among mice subjects .
It means this oil works well in treating inflammatory conditions such as hemorrhoids.
Learn how to use juniper essential oil for hemorrhoids:
- Combine 40 drops of jojoba oil with 6 drops of juniper oil.
- Place mixture in a glass spray jar.
- Spray mixture on the affected area.
- Massage gently.
- Do this procedure once a day for one to two weeks.
8. Helichrysum Oil
The word “helichrysum” comes from the Greek term “helios.” It means sun and “chrysos” which translates to gold .
Oil extracted from this plant has valuable effects on people’s health. It can resolve gallbladder disease, allergies, skin problems, and liver ailments .
Researchers made use of ear edema experimental models and yielded positive results .
This oil can inhibit pro-inflammatory enzymes and free radical scavenging activities .
Moreover, it also has corticoid-like properties that are useful for treating hemorrhoids .
How to take helichrysum oil bath for hemorrhoids:
- Pour 8 drops of helichrysum oil into warm bathwater.
- Sit in the bath for 30 minutes to one hour.
- Repeat every day for one to two weeks.
9. Patchouli Oil
Patchouli oil is a popular treatment for common cold, diarrhea, and nausea .
Up to now, many people still rely on this herbal plant for resolving these common ailments.
Patchouli oil can also provide relief for those with hemorrhoids. Because it has analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties .
Try this patchouli oil recipe for hemorrhoids:
- Dilute 3 drops of patchouli oil with 1 tsp of sweet almond oil.
- Apply the solution to the affected area using a clean cloth.
- Repeat once a day for one to two weeks.
10. Sandalwood Oil
Sandalwood oil comes from a tree in India called Chandana .
The oil has analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties. Thus, it can do so much in reducing pain and inflammation caused by hemorrhoids .
It also has disinfect properties that can prevent infection of inflammatory diseases .
Here’s how you may use sandalwood essential oil for hemorrhoids:
- Mix 5 drops of sandalwood essential oil and 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a bowl.
- Transfer the mixture to a glass jar.
- Use a cotton ball to apply the oil mixture to the affected area.
- Do this once or twice a day for two weeks.
11. Ginger Oil
Ginger oil has been a popular remedy for many types of ailments since ancient times.
Extracted from the ginger rhizome, this oil can also treat hemorrhoids.
It is one of the essential oils proven to have potent anti-inflammatory effects .
A study revealed that this oil toned down inflammation in animal subjects .
Learn how you can use ginger oil for hemorrhoids:
- Put 3 drops of ginger oil and 1 tablespoon of coconut oil in a bowl.
- Blend well.
- Apply to the affected area using a clean cloth or cotton pad.
- Remedy procedure twice a day for two to three weeks.
12. Turmeric Oil
Like ginger oil, turmeric oil is also hailed for its anti-inflammatory powers.
The oil halts the inflammatory activities of enzymes that trigger this process .
Curcumin in turmeric contributes to its ability to reduce inflammation .
At first, you might not feel comfortable when you apply turmeric oil to the skin, but you’ll get used to it after a while.
You can also try using it in lesser quantities and increase it gradually over time.
How to use turmeric oil for hemorrhoids:
- Add 4 drops of turmeric oil to 1 tsp of olive oil.
- Use this oil mixture to massage affected parts of the rectum.
- Follow this technique twice or thrice daily for one to two weeks, or until the condition improves.
13. Primrose Oil
This oil is popular for improving hormonal health, bone, skin, and hair health.
Primrose or Evening primrose oil comes from the dried seeds of primrose wildflowers. These exotic flowers are edible and grow in plenty in Eastern and Central North America. The oil originates from the seeds through the cold pressing process. 
Primrose oil is rich in omega-6 fatty acids. These essential fatty acids are the building blocks of your cells and hormones. Women prefer using primrose oil to treat PMS pain and other symptoms.
Primrose oil has anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, and analgesic properties. Hence, the oil can reduce the pain, irritations, and swellings of hemorrhoids. 
A simple way to use primrose oil for hemorrhoids:
- Pour 4-5 drops of primrose oil on a cotton ball.
- Now apply the oil-soaked cotton ball to the external hemorrhoids.
- Repeat the process thrice daily for a week to see good results.
14. Dill Oil
Dill oil has a fascinating history and is popularly known as a magic potion. In ancient Rome, the soldiers used to apply this oil before starting a war to relieve stress. The oil had other uses and benefits such as increasing breast milk, curing colic in children, etc. 
There are two forms of dill oil. Dill oil may come from the fresh dill weeds or herbs. The other variant originates from dried dill seeds through the steam distillation process.
The two types of dill oil differ in aroma and color but have similar medicinal values. Dill plant grows in plenty in many countries such as Russia, Romania, Germany, the USA, and England.
Dill oil has exceptional antifungal, antioxidants, antidepressants, anti-inflammatory, and bactericidal properties.
The oil also contains analgesic components. Thus, it can soothe the pain and inflammations of hemorrhoids. The oil can prevent the possibility of bleeding during bowel movements as well. 
Try this dill oil recipe for hemorrhoids:
- Dilute 4-5 drops of dill oil with 1 tablespoon of coconut oil.
- Now, soak a cotton ball in the oil mixture.
- Apply the oil-soaked cotton ball to the blood vessels of the hemorrhoids.
- Repeat the treatment thrice a day for quick recovery.
15. Myrtle Essential Oil
Myrtle oil originates from the sweet-scented flowers and leaves of myrtle plants. The herbal plant belongs to the Myrtaceae tree family and grows in Corsica. 
People use aromatic oil to relieve congestion, stress, or hypertension. Myrtle oil has strong analgesic and astringent properties. So, it can reduce the pain and bleeding associated with hemorrhoids.
Learn how to use myrtle oil for hemorrhoids:
- Dilute 4-5 drops of myrrh oil in 1 ounce of cold cream.
- Now, apply the oil-mixed cream to the affected area and massage well.
- Repeat the treatment twice daily until you notice improvements.
16. Horse Chestnut Essential Oil
This essential oil comes from the fruits of the medicinal shrub horse chestnut.
The horse chestnut fruits have a spiky green outer layer (brownish when ripen).
People use horse chestnut oil for various medical conditions. It is a great home remedy for hemorrhoids, digestive disorders, fever, eczema, etc.
The oil contains anti-inflammatory components. Thus it can reduce pain and inflammation due to hemorrhoids. 
The active compound in the oil is escin. It is especially beneficial to help you relieve hemorrhoids symptoms.
Here’s how you may use horse chestnut essential oil for hemorrhoids:
- If you are a chronic sufferer of hemorrhoids, buy yourself a cream that contains horse chestnut oil.
- You can find such cream in the medical shop.
- Apply and massage the cream twice daily until you get rid of hemorrhoids symptoms.
Note: Avoid using horse chestnut oil before you undergo any surgery. This may slow down blood clotting.
17. Clove Essential Oil
Clove essential oil comes from the dried clove buds of the clove tree.
The aromatic spice has exceptional medicinal values . Clove is one of the most important ingredients in Ayurveda.
It may be beneficial for victims of chronic anal fissures that accompany hemorrhoids.
How to use clove oil for hemorrhoids:
- Mix 4-5 drops of clove oil with 4 ounces of unscented lotion or cream.
- Now apply and massage the mixture on the affected area.
- Repeat the treatment regularly to heal hemorrhoids naturally.
Other Natural Oils for Hemorrhoids Treatment
Other than the essential oils you may use certain vegetable and palm oils to treat hemorrhoids symptoms at home. Many people claim to have derived benefits from using these oils in treating hemorrhoids or piles. Scientific research suggests the therapeutic values of some of these oils with regard to soothing inflammations, swellings, and pain.
some potent vegetable oils for treating hemorrhoids include:
- Coconut oil for hemorrhoids: The anti-inflammatory properties of coconut oil may relieve hemorrhoids. Various studies have proved its ability to tone down swelling.
- Olive oil for hemorrhoids: virgin olive oil is a powerhouse of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties. Olive oil may be effective in treating anus inflammation or piles. Experts recommend consuming one teaspoon of olive oil on a regular basis to cure piles naturally.
- Castor oil for hemorrhoids: In a recent medical experiment castor oil pack has proven to be effective in relieving the pain and swelling of hemorrhoids.
Read Next: Can You Use Coconut Oil for Hemorrhoids?
Some Q&A About Hemorrhoids
Is it true that men and women both suffer from hemorrhoids at the same rate?
- Yes, it is true. Hemorrhoids occur in both men and women at the same rate. Usually, it affects adults of both sexes who are aged between 45 and 65 years. But only about 4% of the people with hemorrhoids contract thrombosis due to enlarged hemorrhoids.
Are there different types of hemorrhoids?
- Yes, there are two types of hemorrhoids. They are external and internal hemorrhoids.
What is thrombosis?
- Thrombosis is the other name for a blood clot. It is a medical term used by doctors. When thrombosis occurs in a hemorrhoid, then a purple or blue lump may form. This can cause bleeding to occur. Other problems include pain and itchiness. Usually, the clot dissolves and heals away. But then again, there may be some remaining tissues that irritate later on. You must know that thrombosis usually occurs under the skin.
What do I do if I have a thrombosed hemorrhoid?
A.The only thing that you can do is to go to the doctor. The doctor will use a surgical procedure to cut out the clot by putting you under a local anesthetic. So, if you have a thrombosed hemorrhoid, then go to the doctor immediately.
Precautions While Using Essential Oils
Some precautions are necessary before using essential oils. These are natural oils but quite strong. There might be some reactions if you don’t use them with proper care.
- Always dilute them with a good carrier oil of your choice.
- Always conduct a patch test before you use the oils on your skin. If there’s any reaction, avoid using them.
- If you’re pregnant or breastfeeding your baby, ask a doctor before using any essential oil.
When to See a Doctor
You should visit a physician for a proper diagnosis if you think you have hemorrhoids. Essential oils may reduce some of the symptoms, but can’t completely heal you.
Also, if you have a thrombosed hemorrhoid, the only way you can get rid of it is through surgery. Thus, you need to seek medical attention.