If you have a hive nearby your home or the places you hang around, you do not need to kill them or destroy the colony.
You can use some essential oils for bee repellent and avoid the risk of a bee sting.
Among animals, the creatures that cause more deaths than any other are wasps and bees. Then again, bees are essential parts of our ecosystem.
Human species would not survive more than 4-5 years if the bees extinct from our ecosystem. (1)
8 Essential Oils for Bee Repellents
1. Tea Tree Essential Oil
It is one of the most popular essential oils. Apart from being a very good bee-repel, this oil moisturizes skin. (2)
How to use tea tree oil for bee repellent:
- You will need 1 cup of distilled water, 20 drops tea tree oil, 5 drops citronella oil and 8 oz glass spray bottles.
- Shake up all the ingredients in a spray bottle. That’s all! Your essential oil bee repellent is ready!
- Store the mix in a cold and dry place, away from the reach of bright light, kids, and pets.
- You can spray the mix in the air around the bees or sprinkle some all over your house.
2. Peppermint Essential Oil
How to use peppermint oil to repel bees:
- Take 5 tbsp of your favorite brand of shower gel or liquid soap in a sparkle jar and add water to it.
- Mix 10-12 drops of peppermint essential oil into the solution.
- You can also be dab the essential oil on tissues and stashed around the house as a natural indoor repellent.
Read More: Peppermint Oil for Hair: 8 Reasons to Use
3. Almond Essential Oil
Learn how to keep the bees away from you using almond oil:
- Mix 5-6 drops of almond oil with 1-2 drops of carrier oil, such as olive or canola oil.
- Apply the diluted oil all over your body to repel bees. As a bonus, you are going to have nourished and moisturized skin.
4. Eucalyptus Essential Oil
Some people consider this oil to be the most robust and efficient bee repellents. (5)
Try this eucalyptus oil recipe to repel bee:
- Take 10 drops of eucalyptus essential oil and mix it with 3-4 drops of pine, cedarwood, or lemon essential oil.
- Pour 500 ml of distilled water and shake.
- Pour the mix into a sprinkle jar and spray all over your kitchen, inside the closet and living room.
- There is no way a single bee would pass through the threshold of your house.
5. Orange Essential Oil
We use this essential oil for flavoring. You can make this from the rinds of oranges using a cold-pressed method for extraction. (6)
How you can use orange oil to keep the bees away from you:
- You are going to need 10 tbsp of orange oil and 4-5 drops of rubbing alcohol. Mix these 2 and apply to your skin to prevent bees from coming around you.
- You might also brush the surface of your home to repel bees.
- If you want to use a spray, add some water to the mix and sprinkle it.
6. Citronella Essential Oil
People use this essential oil as a gentle, plant-based insect repellent. (7)
Learn how to prevent the bees from coming to you using citronella essential oil:
- Mix up to 10 drops the oil with 2-3 drops of coconut oil and spread it on your body like lotion.
- You can also mix 100 ml of water with the mix in a spray bottle and sprinkle on your skin, hair, and clothes.
- You can also try applying pure citronella oil to your skin unless you are allergic to it.
7. Cedarwood Essential Oil
This essential oil has particularly sweet and robust aroma. (8)
Try this cedarwood oil recipe to repel bees:
- Combine the similar amount of the cedarwood oil with lemongrass and peppermint oil.
- Rub the mix on your skin, hair and sprinkle some on your clothes and socks.
- You do not have to worry about bees all day long.
8. Essential Oil Blend
An essential oils blend will repel bees more effectively.
You can try these two essential oil recipes to beat off the bees:
- Mix 1/8 oz each of jojoba oil, tea tree oil and pennyroyal oil with 1/4 oz lavender and 1/2 oz citronella oil, and 16 oz of almond oil. You can apply the mix to your skin.
- If you want to make a bee repellent spray, you might use a similar amount of vodka instead of the carrier oils.
Why Use Essential Oils as Bee Repellent?
Bees love honey, citrus fruits, sweet tea, and all other sweet flavored things.
While bees help to keep our air dust and pollution free, bee-stung can be severe. In some cases, people might die if not treated accordingly.
Here are some reasons why you should choose essential oils to get rid of bees:
- There are some conventional bee repellents available in the market. These contain a high level of chemicals. Whereas using essential oils for bee repellent is 100% natural and effective.
- Using essential oils as a repellent would not harm the bees and beehives, hive growth in any way.
- Using essential oils as bee repellent will leave you with a pleasant aroma. Some of the essential oils have other benefits for human bodies as well.
Things to Remember
- Take care not to mist any of the sprays over food.
- Do not spray near your face, especially the eyes.
- Do not use a raw version of any of these oils on your skin.
- Do not spray on the bees or beehives.
- You should consult with a doctor before spraying any of these essential oils on your baby’s clothes.
We humans harm our surrounding in many ways every day. But we can be a little bit careful to maintain the equilibrium between nature and our lifestyles.
Using essential oils for bee repellent can be an excellent way of preserving the natural harmony and helping ourselves. So, instead of using the store-bought, chemical bee repellents, try using essential oils. You will get better results without any possibilities of side effects.