Wisdom tooth doesn’t necessarily bring wisdom, but they do come with a lot of pain!
Dental problems are one of the hardest health issues to avoid. Even painkillers fail to provide relief for more extended periods of time.
The strong painkillers that you take to avoid wisdom tooth pain can have some severe side effects.
Luckily, there is a natural way to save you from the torture instantly!
Essential oils heal a lot of dental issues. There are essential oils for gum pain, essential oils for tooth infection, and essential oils for a toothache.
However, essential oils work incredibly well when it comes to wisdom tooth pain. There are essential oils specifically for wisdom teeth recovery, wisdom teeth removal, and even wisdom teeth extraction.
Today you get to know some surprising facts on:
- How does wisdom tooth cause pain?
- 5 Essential Oils for Wisdom Tooth Pain Relief
- Ways to Use Essential Oil for Wisdom Tooth Pain
How Does Wisdom Tooth Cause Pain?
Before understanding what causes wisdom tooth pain, let’s know what a wisdom tooth is?
A wisdom tooth is a third molar. It grows at the back of the mouth and at the absolute last end of the gum. Wisdom teeth usually grow when a person is 17-25 years old. Since they grow so late, they get a very limited region to stay upright. 
Due to the limited space, they cause pain in a number of ways. 
Some of the common ways in which wisdom tooth inflict pain are listed below:
- Swollen gums- A wisdom tooth has to push through the gum to grow out. More mature gum is harder to move apart and causes it to swell and hurt. 
- Cavity- Wisdom teeth often grow with cavity from the very beginning. In its severe form, that might lead to a root canal. 
- Damage neighboring teeth- While trying to make space, the wisdom tooth can cause harm to the neighboring teeth and nerves and cause pain.
- Inflammation– Wisdom teeth often grow at odd angles, this causes nerve and vessel inflammation which causes excruciating pain. 
5 Essential Oil Home Remedies for Wisdom Tooth Pain Relief
All of the oils in this list have unique properties that fight each of the reasons that cause you a wisdom toothache. So read on!
1. Clove Oil
Clove essential oil has a very active ingredient called Eugenol. Eugenol gives the oil its analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties. Thus it works excellent with swollen gums and relieves pain.
There are also certain antibacterial elements in clove oil. So it prevents the cavity commonly seen in wisdom teeth. 
Clove oil also has anesthetic characteristics. When in severe pain it helps calm and relax you while getting rid of the pain.
2. Myrrh Oil
Myrrh oil helps relieve wisdom tooth pain in various ways.
The oil is a potent anti-microbial agent. This eliminates all the bacteria and infections that cause cavity and other dental problems that cause pain. 
Besides myrrh oil is also an astringent. It helps with strengthening the gums, so it’s better able to cope with the pain.
Myrrh oil has anti-inflammatory properties as well that is essential to prevent wisdom tooth pain.
3. Peppermint Oil
Peppermint oil is one of the most common ingredients used in oral hygiene products.
Peppermint is useful to calm the nerves with its cooling sensation. Therefore, as soon as you apply it, you get immediate pain relief. Peppermint oil is often used to relieve pain from teething in infants.
The antibacterial properties of peppermint oil help it to fight off gum diseases and cavity. 
4. Eucalyptus Oil
Eucalyptus oil has cineole as one of its elements. Cineole is what gives eucalyptus its unique antibacterial properties.
Mouthwashes and toothpaste often use eucalyptus oil because of its ability to ward off infections. It is also one of the top remedies for preventing bad breath.
Since wisdom tooth is prone to infections, regular application of eucalyptus can be helpful. 
The anti-inflammatory characteristics of eucalyptus oil also help it to prevent a wisdom toothache.
5. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is one of the most popular oil for its wide range of benefits.
Studies show that tea tree oil can prevent bacteria that causes tooth decay. Using it from the start can help you keep your wisdom tooth in the best condition.
Tea tree oil is also useful when it comes to treating swollen gums due to its anti-inflammatory agents.
Ways to Use Essential Oils for Wisdom Tooth Pain
There is not only one way to use essential oils for relieving wisdom tooth pain. You can use it in a lot of ways, and they are all equally effective!
Method 1: Mouth Wash
Things you will need:
- 1 cup of warm water
- 1-2 teaspoon of sea salt
- 5-6 drops of essential oil in the list
- Take a small bottle and pour all the ingredients.
- Shake well.
- Use it as a conventional mouthwash.
Method 2: Pain Relief Balm
Things you will need:
- 3-4 tablespoons of Shea butter or cocoa butter
- 3-4 drops of peppermint oil
- 2-3 drops of tea tree oil
- 4-5 drops of clove oil
- Melt Shea butter or cocoa butter in a pan.
- Let it cool down for a couple of minutes.
- Then add the essential oils to the melted butter.
- Refrigerate till it hardens.
- Apply on the gums around the wisdom tooth area or where it hurts.
Method 3: Direct Application
Things you will need:
- 1 Cotton ball or cotton bud
- Any of the essential oils in the list
- Apply 2-3 drops of essential oil to the cotton bud and place it on top of the region that is in pain.
- Try to keep it that way for about half an hour.
Going to the dentist’s office for wisdom tooth issues is indeed a nightmare! A lot of the times, there are complications.
The 5 effective essential oils for wisdom tooth pain relief on the list helps you skip all that hassle.
So if you are someone who loves to avoid the dentist, then go ahead and try out the oils!
Did this article help you find a solution to avoid wisdom tooth pain? Share your experience with essential oils in the comment section below!