Do you have small hard bumps on your skin that feel like sandpaper?
Then you might have a common skin condition named keratosis pilaris. It is also known as chicken skin or strawberry legs.
Keratosis pilaris on the face is not common.
Chicken skin causes some itching, but it doesn’t hurt.
Usually, children and teens get it, and it usually fades away when they get older. 
Natural remedies for keratosis may reduce the symptoms. Coconut oil is one such natural ingredient to get rid of keratosis pilaris.
How Coconut Oil may Work on Keratosis Pilaris?
Coconut oil has lauric acid. It can be very effective for treating Keratosis Pilaris.
Keratin is the primary cause of Keratosis pilaris. It blocks the hair follicles and leads to the development of small and rough bumps.
Lauric acid assists to break up the buildup of keratin.
Besides, it soothes inflammations of the skin, reduces redness, and moisturizes it.
Coconut oil can easily penetrate deep into the skin and heal KP from the inside.
The oil works as natural keratosis pilaris moisturizer.
Coconut oil may even prevent Keratosis Pilaris. 
Coconut oil can be a helpful home remedy for keratosis pilaris. it is generally good for your skin as research suggests.
The unique fatty acids in the coconut oil help to soften your skin and nourish from within.
Coconut oil has potent anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. The components aid in healing the skin inflammation with time. 
5 Potential Ways to Use Coconut Oil for Keratosis Pilaris
1. Use Virgin Coconut Oil as a Topical Remedy
The topical application of coconut oil is the best treatment for keratosis pilaris.
A simple method of using coconut oil for keratosis pilaris:
- Take virgin coconut oil in a small amount. Pat it over the affected areas of keratosis pilaris.
- Massage the affected areas with coconut oil for a couple of minutes. Wait for a few hours, or you may even leave it overnight.
- You can repeat this process to get rid of keratosis pilaris fast.
Remember to exfoliate your skin before massaging with coconut oil. It will remove dead skin cells and make your skin smooth and clear.
Tips: For best results, apply coconut oil after taking a shower on damp skin.
2. Coconut Oil Sugar Scrub
Coconut oil along with sugar scrub can exfoliate the skin to remove dead skin cells. It will also remove other dirt buildups on your skin which causes keratosis pilaris.
How to use coconut oil sugar scrub for keratosis pilaris natural treatment:
- Add two tsp of coconut oil with one tsp of brown sugar and white sugar each in one bowl.
- Then you have to mix it well by putting some vanilla extract, and a spoon of honey. Apply this mixture to the areas affected by keratosis pilaris.
- Later, scrub it for around 10-15 minutes. Rinse with fresh water.
- You can perform this method at least twice a week to get rid of chicken skin.
3. Coconut Oil and Shea Butter
The whipped shea butter and coconut oil mix moisturize and sanitize your skin. It also prevents the growth of spiky keratosis pilaris bumps on it.
How to use coconut oil and shea butter to get rid of chicken skin:
- Add 2 tsp of coconut oil, 1 part of shea butter, and 1 tsp of liquid Vitamin E with a few drops of lavender oil.
- Blend it and apply this mixture to the affected areas.
- Leave it for a few minutes to a few hours and then wash it off.
Tips: You can also use cocoa butter instead of shea butter for this process.
You can whip up some coconut oil into a body butter soap mix and apply the blend of two while taking your shower.
4. Coconut oil and Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar can be an excellent ingredient to combine with coconut oil
It’s because ACV controls the pH of your skin and retains the acid-base balance. 
It contains antiseptic, antibacterial, antimicrobial, and anti-inflammatory properties.
Here’s how you may use coconut oil and ACV for keratosis pilaris home remedy:
- Mix equal amounts of coconut oil and apple cider vinegar with some drops of honey in a bowl.
- Mix it well until the blend gets a lotion-like consistency. Apply this paste on your skin affected by keratosis pilaris.
- Put it on for around 20 minutes and then rinse it off with water.
Wash your skin with organic ACV where the keratosis pilaris has affected your skin. Rub some coconut oil as a moisturizer.
Tips: You should regularly apply this remedy couple of times to get fast relief from the bumps.
5. Consumption of Coconut Oil
The amazing thing about coconut oil as a natural remedy is that you can consume it.
Ingesting coconut oil can treat keratosis pilaris and make your skin healthy. 
How to take coconut oil internally to get rid of keratosis pilaris naturally:
- Consume 1 teaspoon of virgin coconut oil every day. Increase the quantity to two tablespoons twice a day for healing your skin from the inside out.
- You can also use virgin coconut oil in cooking to get the health benefits of it.
Is It Necessary to See a Doctor?
Well, it’s usually not. You can take care of it using natural ingredients.
But if it happens to your child, you may consult with a doctor. He/she will suggest medications after diagnosing the skin.
Also, if you see no significant improvement after using these remedies, make an appointment with your doctor.
Keratosis pilaris is a harmless skin condition. But it can be quite stressful as it makes your skin full of red spots, bumps, and blemishes.
Some natural methods using coconut oil can help you to get rid of keratosis pilaris.
But, if you are having a severe case of keratosis pilaris, you must get it treated by your doctor.