The origin of the term “eczema” is the Greek word “ekzein” which means “to boil out” .
It affects up to 30 percent of the American population .
But, don’t worry. There are many natural remedies that you can use to soothe this condition. Here in this article, we will show you how you can use apple cider vinegar for eczema treatment.
Healthful Effects of Apple Cider Vinegar
It has vitamin B complex, vitamin C, calcium, iron, magnesium, potassium, and sodium .
Apple cider vinegar has been famous for treating the following health issues:
- A sore throat
- Leg cramps
- Viral infections
- Upset stomach
- High blood pressure
- Sinus infections
- Vaginal infections due to fungi or bacteria
- Insect bites 
Scientific research has proved some of these benefits.
For instance, in a 2001 study proved its ability to reduce blood pressure levels .
An American study confirmed its inhibitory effects against several bacterial strains. These are Salmonella choleraesuis, Staphylococcus aureus, Pseudomonas aeruginosa and Escherichia coli .
Researchers have also found apple cider vinegar helpful in weight loss. Because, it promotes faster fat reduction and calorie burning .
How Does Apple Cider Vinegar Work on Eczema?
There are several ways by which apple cider vinegar can relieve eczema, and these include:
- It stimulates the body’s immune response to promote healing of skin lesions.
- Its beta-carotene promotes renewal and re-growth of skin cells.
- It aids in the detoxification of the system which helps ease eczema.
- It helps maintain proper pH balance of the skin.
- It reduces inflammation [10, 11].
- It fights bacterial infection [12, 13, 14].
- It moisturizes the skin and soothes itchiness.
Apple cider vinegar is effective in reducing inflammation in animal subjects .
6 Ways to Cure Eczema with Apple Cider Vinegar
Consider these remedies to treat eczema with ACV and other natural ingredients.
1. Using Apple Cider Vinegar and Water
It’s best to dilute apple cider vinegar in water before applying on the skin so that it does not irritate.
Simple use of diluted apple cider vinegar for eczema:
Combine 1 cup of apple cider vinegar and 2cups of water. Use a cotton ball to spread mixture on affected areas of the skin. You can also put this mixture in a spray bottle, and spray it on your skin. Do this twice a day for one week.
2. Make an Apple Cider Vinegar Bath for Eczema
A quick way to maximize the benefits of apple cider vinegar for the skin is by pouring it into your bath water.
A bath made of apple cider vinegar is beneficial and comforting for eczema.
Try this apple cider vinegar bath if you have eczema:
Pour 2 cups of raw apple cider vinegar into your bath water. Make sure it’s warm Swish with your fingers to mix. Soak in the bath for 30 minutes. Repeat remedy daily until condition gets better.
3. Consume Apple Cider Vinegar Mixture
Consuming apple cider vinegar can also have anti-inflammatory effects for the eczema-ridden skin.
A simple apple cider vinegar drink for eczema:
Pour 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar to a glass of water. Add 1 tbsp of maple syrup to improve the taste. Mix well. Consume this mixture three times a day before each meal.
4. Combine Apple Cider Vinegar and Honey
Honey keeps the skin moisturized, which is vital for those who suffer from eczema.
How to take ACV & honey to relieve eczema:
Add 1 tablespoon of each of honey and apple cider vinegar to a glass of warm water. Take this in the morning before eating your breakfast. Do this procedure once a day for one month.
5. Apply Apple Cider Vinegar and Baking Soda
Baking soda reduces the acidity on the skin, which helps in toning down eczema flare-ups.
Try this ACV & baking soda mixture to treat eczema:
Combine 1 tsp of baking soda, 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar, and a cup of water. Wait for the fizzing to stop. Apply to the affected parts of the body daily. Repeat the process every day until condition improves.
6. An Apple Cider Vinegar Tea for Eczema Relief
A tea made of apple cider vinegar might be all you need to treat your eczema. Let’s see how to prepare one.
How to make an apple cider vinegar tea for eczema:
Mix 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and ¼ tsp of baking soda together in a cup. It is a fizzy mixture, and you’ll have to wait for the fizz to disappear. Once that happens, add ½ cup of water and mix well. Next, you need to add 1 tsp of tea powder and mix, and your tea is ready to drink. It is better to drink the tea in the morning.
Types of Eczema
There are different types of eczema, which include:
- Allergic contact eczema – The immune system may detect a foreign substance as harmful. This type of eczema occurs when the skin has an allergic reaction to this substance.
- Contact eczema – This one is a “localized reaction” in which a particular part of the skin flares up to an allergen.
- Dyshidriotic eczema – In this type of eczema, blisters appear on the skin of the hands and feet.
- Neurodermatitis – Scaly patches cover the skin of the lower legs, forearms, wrists, and head.
- Nummular eczema – This condition creates circular patches on certain parts of the skin. These patches are usually scaly, itchy and crusted.
- Seborrheic eczema – scaly and yellow patches appear on the scalp and face.
- Stasis dermatitis – This type of eczema occurs due to circulatory problems. It generally irritates the skin of the lower legs .
Causes of Eczema
Up to now, experts cannot determine what the exact cause of eczema is.
But, they believe that heredity and environmental factors can come into play .
If one or both of your parents have eczema, it’s more likely for you to develop this problem later on .
When it comes to other factors, here are some of those that can trigger the onset of this condition:
- Irritants in skin care products, household cleaners, and food products
- Allergens such as pollen, dust mites, molds, and pet dander
- Bacteria, viruses, and fungi
- Extreme changes in weather
- Dairy products, eggs, soy products, and wheat
- High levels of stress
- Hormonal imbalance such as during pregnancy or menstruation
- A malfunction in the immune system [1, 2]
As for the signs and symptoms, there are the common indicators of eczema:
- Itching of the skin, which usually becomes worse at night
- Patches on the skin that appear on the hands, ankles, feet, chest, neck, elbows, knees, eyelids, face and scalp
- Swollen bumps that leak with pus or crust
- Thick, dry, scaly skin
- Sensitive raw skin 
It’s important to see a doctor if you any experience any of the following:
- Excessive pain and inflammation of the skin
- Difficulty in getting enough sleep
- Impairment of daily activities
- Skin infection
- Impairment of vision 
If left untreated, eczema can lead to the following complications:
- Asthma or hay fever
- Chronic itching and scaly skin
- Bacterial or viral skin infection
- Inflammation of the eyelid
- Irritant hand dermatitis
- Anxiety and depression 
Tips for Using Apple Cider Vinegar as Remedy
Heed these tips to make sure that you get the effects that you’re looking for.
- Always dilute apple cider vinegar before using, especially on children. Using it in pure form can irritate the skin and cause a burning sensation.
- Try to look for raw and unfiltered apple cider vinegar for best results. Look for one that’s darker in color and has sediments in the bottom of the bottle.
- Do not consume apple cider vinegar if you have peptic ulcer, or chronic indigestion. You should also avoid it if you suffer from gastroesophageal reflux.
- Do not use this remedy if you are pregnant, or if you are taking medications for diabetes.
- If you have any medical condition, consult your doctor before using ACV.
When to See a Doctor
No doubt that ACV can relieve eczema. But sometimes the condition doesn’t improve within a week. Besides, you may need a more powerful form of treatment, which only a doctor can prescribe.
If there are so many yellowish to brown pus-filled blisters on your skin, it may be a bacterial infection. Immediately consult your doctor for proper medication.
There are so many health benefits that you can get from apple cider vinegar.
If you have eczema and want to tone down the severity of the condition, it would be a good idea to use this type of vinegar.
It has many benefits for the skin, most of which can help reduce eczema breakouts.
So consider using ACV for eczema relief and give yourself some comfort. Hope this article was helpful to you.
For any queries or confusions, feel free to ask us. Also, don’t forget to share your experience with us by leaving a comment in the comments section below.