Do your health a favor by drinking cranberry juice more often.
Cranberry juice is extracted from a small acidic berry coming from an evergreen shrub cultivated widely in North America .
It has a wide array of health benefits but according to WebMD, it is most commonly used for treating and preventing urinary tract infection (UTI).
In its purest form, cranberry juice can definitely help fight UTI as well as many other health problems.
Key Nutrient Facts
Dubbed as a superfruit, a cup of cranberries is loaded with over 8,000 antioxidant capacity as well as important nutrients such as carbohydrates, proteins, calcium, iron, potassium, zinc, B vitamins, vitamin C, vitamin E and vitamin K.
This list below contains nutritional information based on a 100-gram serving of cranberry juice.
- Calories 46
- Fat 1 g
- Sodium 2 mg
- Cholesterol 0
- Protein 4 g
- Carbs 12 g
- Potassium 77 mg
- Vitamin C 15%
- Iron 1%
- Vitamin B6 5%
- Magnesium 1%
Next, we will discuss the health benefits of cranberry juice for your well-being.
13 Health Benefits of Cranberry Juice
1. Cranberry Juice Can Combat Urinary Tract Infections
If you have cloudy urine, pelvic pain, or if you experience burning sensation when you urinate, it’s possible that you have UTI.
Get immediate relief by drinking cranberry juice more often.
Studies have shown that cranberry juice can help prevent and treat urinary tract infections [2, 3, 4, 5].
In one of these studies, 150 women diagnosed with UTI participated in a 12-month long treatment .
The participants either received cranberry lingoberry juice, a probiotic beverage, or no treatment .
After six months, there was a 39 percent success rate among cranberry juice users .
By the time the trial was over, there were no recurrent cases of UTI among those who consumed cranberry juice daily .
A laboratory experiment published in the Journal of Urology confirmed that cranberry juice inhibited the adherence of E. coli bacterial strains by 75 percent .
The proanthocyanidins in cranberry are pointed out as responsible for actively preventing E. coli bacteria from adhering to the cells in the urinary tract, reports a 2007 study .
- Cranberry juice treats and prevents urinary tract infection by stopping E. coli, the most common cause of this condition, from sticking to the urinary tract cells.
- This action can be attributed to the presence of proanthocyanidins in cranberry juice.
- It helps prevent recurrence of this condition.
RELATED: Apple Cider Vinegar for UTI Treatment: 10 Practical Ways
2. Rich in Antioxidants, Cranberry Juice Can Put Up a Good Fight Against Cancer
One of four people die of cancer in the United States, reports Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
Cancer prevalence remains high despite advancements in medical technology.
The good news is, cancer can be prevented with the help of healthy foods and beverages like cranberry juice.
Researchers have long probed the potential of cranberry juice as treatment and preventive measure for this serious ailment.
What they have found is that it can lower the risk of certain forms of cancer, thanks to its anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and anti-proliferative properties .
These protective effects can be attributed to cranberry’s active compounds such as proanthocyanidins, flavonols and anthocyanins [7, 8].
These compounds work by counteracting oxidative stress, reducing inflammation, and regulating the macromolecular interactions and gene expressions that are linked with the progression of cancer .
- With its potent antioxidants, cranberry juice can safely and effectively reduce cancer risk and inhibit the growth and spread of cancer cells.
- It can beat cancer by inhibiting oxidative stress and inflammation, and reducing the activities that are related to the progression of this disease.
3. Cranberry Juice Can Lower Heart Disease Risk
Cancer is only second to heart disease when it comes to mortality rate.
Anywhere in the world, heart disease claims the lives of thousands of people each year.
Atherosclerosis, a type of cardiovascular disease characterized by buildup of cholesterol plaque in the arteries, is one of the leading causes of heart attack and stroke .
A study indicates that consuming foods and beverages rich in flavonoids like cranberry juice can significantly reduce the risk of atherosclerosis [8, 9].
Flavonoids work by reversing the transportation of cholesterol, and therefore, reducing the total count of bad cholesterol in the bloodstream .
Apart from these, flavonoids also suppress the adhesion and aggregation of platelets, inhibit the enzymes that stimulate the metabolism of lipid and lipoprotein, which in turn cause bad cholesterol levels to increase .
- Cranberry juice’s flavonoids can safely prevent cholesterol accumulation in the arteries that may eventually lead to heart attack or stroke.
4. Cranberry Juice Can Aid in Weight Loss
Being overweight doesn’t only affect your self-confidence.
It can also put you at risk of different types of health problems including high blood pressure, heart disease, diabetes, and so on.
The good news is, you can now finally say goodbye to those unwanted flabs with cranberry juice.
According to research, cranberry juice can support your weight loss goals by making you feel full for a longer period.
A study featured in Live Strong reported that participants who consumed cranberry juice on a daily basis had significant reduction in body mass index and body weight.
Since cranberry juice is replete with many essential nutrients, it can increase energy levels necessary to carry on with a regular weight loss workout.
- It’s necessary to maintain proper weight to avoid serious ailments like heart disease, diabetes and high blood pressure.
- A safe and natural way to lose weight is by drinking cranberry juice, which according to reports, can help reduce body mass index as well as body weight.
RELATED: The Benefits of Honey and Cinnamon for Weight Loss
5. Cranberry Juice Can Prevent Tooth Decay and Gum Disease
The common notion is that anything sweet is bad for your teeth.
As it turns out, cranberry juice does not belong to that list.
This naturally sweet juice can actually help in keeping the teeth and gums healthy.
That’s because it has an active compound that can inhibit growth of various oral bacteria, according to a 2004 study .
In another study published in the Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition, it was reported that cranberry juice can actively decrease the level of Streptococcus mutans, the “major cause of tooth decay” .
On top of these, cranberry juice can inhibit inflammatory responses and acid production, which are known triggers of periodontal disease .
- Cranberry juice is a sweet beverage that’s not bad for your teeth.
- In fact, it helps keep your dental health in top condition by controlling oral bacteria that can cause tooth decay and mouth infections.
- It’s also a potent anti-inflammatory agent, and an inhibitor of acid production.
6. Cranberry Juice Can Help Treat Gastroenteritis
Gastroenteritis refers to the inflammation of the intestines and stomach that cause diarrhea and vomiting.
This highly contagious viral infection is caused by rotavirus.
It’s a highly debilitating illness that you’d want to get rid of as immediately as possible.
It’s a good thing you can fight this ailment with regular intake of cranberry juice.
In a study published in the 2007 issue of Phytomedicine Journal, it was stated that cranberry juice has powerful antiviral effects that can combat the proliferation of rotavirus .
A 20 percent cranberry juice suspension was enough to destroy host viral cells and inhibit their adsorption .
Cranberry juice works by inhibiting the spread and replication of the rotavirus .
- Gastroenteritis is a painful condition that causes diarrhea and vomiting.
- These distressing can be alleviated by drinking cranberry juice, which can stop the virus from spreading.
7. Cranberry Juice Can Treat Peptic Ulcer
WebMD explains that peptic ulcer or those painful sores in the stomach lining is caused by an infection of a bacterium called Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori).
Common symptoms of peptic ulcer include burning pain in the stomach, bloating, and heartburn.
Fortunately, you can get quick and lasting relief from these unpleasant symptoms with cranberry juice.
Various studies provide sufficient evidence that cranberry juice can treat and prevent peptic ulcer by inhibiting the adhesion of H. pylori in the stomach lining [14, 15, 16].
In the University of Chile, researchers conducted a randomized double-blind clinical trial involving 295 children with H. pylori infection .
The participants were divided into four groups, two of which received cranberry juice and the other two were given a placebo .
Of the 271 children who completed the treatment, those who consumed cranberry juice were tested negative of H. pylori .
- Peptic ulcer is caused by an infection of the Helicobacter pylori bacteria.
- Cranberry juice has anti-ulcer effects that work by inhibiting the bacteria’s adhesion in the lining of the stomach.
RELATED: Aloe Vera for Gastritis & Ulcer : Learn Why & How?
8. Calcium in Cranberry Juice Can Strengthen Bones
For stronger bones, we’ve always been told to drink milk.
Did you know that cranberry juice can also work to fortify your bones?
Researchers have proved that antioxidants in berries like cranberry can increase bone mass and strength .
Moreover, phytochemicals in cranberry has osteoprotective effects that you can benefit from .
This means that by including cranberry juice in your daily diet, you can reduce the risk of osteoporosis, a degenerative bone disease that causes loss of bone mass and tissue.
- Bioactive compounds in berries can protect against bone damage and degenerative bone diseases like osteoporosis.
9. Cranberry Juice Has Anti-Aging Benefits
Look a few years younger when you drink cranberry juice regularly.
Cranberry juice is packed with antioxidants that fight premature aging caused by free radicals.
It has proanthocyanidin that fight the aging effects of UV radiation like wrinkles and fine lines .
As you know, overexposure to the sun’s harmful UV rays can cause oxidative stress, which not only causes hyperpigmentation or appearance of age spots, but also stimulates the formation of aging lines.
Resveratrol, the same anti-aging compound that can be found in red wine, is also present in cranberry juice, and can help slow down aging with its anti-inflammatory properties .
- Cranberry juice has important antioxidants that can delay the process of aging by alleviating the effects of UV radiation on the skin and by inhibiting inflammatory responses of the body.
10. Vitamin C in Cranberry Juice Can Prevent and Treat Scurvy
According to Medical News Today, scurvy is a disease primarily caused by deficiency in vitamin C.
Diarrhea, appetite loss, poor weight gain, fever, rapid breathing and bleeding of the gums are just few of the many symptoms of this health condition.
Studies suggest that increasing intake of vitamin C either through supplementation or diet can help treat this disease [19, 20].
Make sure you get sufficient vitamin C by including cranberry juice in your daily diet.
This won’t only keep scurvy at bay, but also a number of other ailments.
- Deficiency in vitamin C can lead to scurvy, which can cause diarrhea, poor weight gain, and bleeding gums, among others.
- Drinking cranberry juice, which is rich in vitamin C, can help in treating this disease.
11. Cranberry Juice Can Boost Immunity
To keep the body healthy and resistant to disease, you must exert extra effort in strengthening your immune defense.
The Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry featured a study that examined how phenolic compounds in fruit juices such as cranberry juice helped boost immunity with their antioxidative and immunomodulatory properties .
This study found that juice drinkers suffered from less oxidative stress and DNA damage compared to non juice drinkers .
This is reason enough to drink cranberry juice more frequently.
- Boosting the body’s immune resistance to infectious diseases is possible with cranberry juice.
- Its phenolic compounds can stimulate the body’s immune response and also neutralize the oxidative stress and DNA damage in the cells.
12. Cranberry Juice Can Fight Common Infections
Another useful benefit of cranberry juice is defending the body against common infections like colds and flu.
A team of researchers, who conducted a study involving 54 healthy participants, looked at how cranberry can ward off minor ailments .
Findings revealed that daily intake of cranberry juice enhanced the production of antibodies or immune cells .
As a preventive measure for these ailments, it would help to drink a glass of cranberry juice a day.
- With its antioxidants and essential nutrients, cranberry juice can boost the first line of defense against common cold and flu.
13. Relieves UTI and Vaginal Odor
Drinking cranberry juice is a popular remedy for urinary tract infections (UTI) .
Many people who have relied on this for UTI treatment can attest to its efficacy and tolerability.
Cranberry juice works by preventing bacterial strains from adhering to the urinary tract .
This makes it easier to flush them out and get them out of the system .
Apart from UTI, cranberry juice has also been found to be effective in controlling infections in the vagina that cause a fishy smell.
In fact, it is one of the natural methods considered effective in managing recurrent cases of bacterial vaginosis .
If your condition keeps on coming back even after you’ve successfully treated it, try using this natural intervention so you can relieve vaginal odor once and for all.
- Cranberry juice helps to flush out bacterial strains from the system and prevents urinary tract infections, vaginal odor, etc.
With its overload of essential nutrients, cranberry juice is a great way to keep yourself in top health. So don’t miss out these amazing health benefits of cranberry juice.
It can also help reduce the risk of many diseases including cancer and heart disease.
If you suffer from common ailments like stomach ulcer, urinary tract infections, viral infections, or digestive problems, you can also use cranberry juice as a natural remedy.
It’s not only highly effective, it’s also safe even for long-term use.
READ NEXT: 11 Health Benefits of Peanuts (Backed by Evidence)