Painful sprains are nothing uncommon. It can happen now and then. But the ailment to it can be very simple and aromatic. 
Here in this article, we are bringing you a list of essential oils to treat your sprains naturally.
Inside this article, you will learn about:
- Difference between a strain and a sprain
- General symptoms of a sprain
- A list of essential oils to treat your sprains
- How to use essential oils
- Tips and precautions
Is it a Strain or a Sprain?
General Symptoms of a Sprain
Followings are some of the general symptoms that will help you to determine a sprained ligament.
- Pain in the joint and the area surrounding it
- Swelling of the skin
- Skin discoloration or bruising
- Tenderness of the skin
- Stiffness and inability to put on weight
The following essential oils can come to your help in alleviating a painful sprain along with the symptoms it accompanies with.
1. Helichrysum Essential Oil
Helichrysum essential oil is widely known for its amazing healing effects. 
Application of this oil can reduce the pain in the affected area while supporting the regeneration of the damaged tissues.
2. Lavender Essential Oil
Lavender essential oil is an excellent treat for your skin along with its analgesic properties. 
It helps to calm your affected skin and relieves it.
The oil is very mild, and you can use it directly on your skin if you want to for the quick and effective result. 
3. Frankincense Essential Oil
Frankincense essential oil is known for its quick healing effects. 
The application of this oil on your injured area can give you immediate relief from the pain.
Thus you get more time to take proper care of your injury with less pain.
4. Chamomile Essential Oil
Chamomile essential oil can do wonders when it comes to treating sprains.
The oil is analgesic, antispasmodic and also anti-inflammatory. All these properties make it a must-have in your first aid kit. 
It helps in reducing the swelling of the skin due to the injury and contributes to alleviating the pain.
5. Peppermint Essential Oil
If you are suffering from a serious sprain accompanied by bruises and inflammation, peppermint essential oil is just the thing you should try.
The oil is antispasmodic and anti-inflammatory. It can reduce inflammation and muscle spasms in your injured area. 
The oil also helps to reduce swelling and pain. It works well when mixed with some extra virgin olive oil. 
Also Read: 8 Reasons To Use Peppermint Oil For Hair
6. Eucalyptus Essential Oil
Eucalyptus essential oil is another excellent ingredient that can come to your help in treating sprains.
The oil is antispasmodic and analgesic.
You can use this oil to reduce swelling and pain in your affected area.
Eucalyptus oil is a natural anti-inflammatory that can calm your skin.
It promotes circulation of blood and thus participates in the healing of the wound as well. 
7. Pine Essential Oil
You can use pine essential oil to reduce swelling of an affected region.
The oil is capable of stimulating blood circulation which is of great help to accelerate healing of an injury.
Pine essential oil reduces redness and tenderness of the skin. 
8. Rosemary Essential Oil
Rosemary essential oil is a powerhouse of great therapeutic properties.
The oil is popular for its contribution to many ailments.
It is antispasmodic and promotes circulation of blood flow on its use over a particular region. 
Therefore, you can try this oil to get relief from sprains.
How to Use Essential Oils?
The following way is an easy and effective way of using essential oils.
Essential Oil Massage Blends:
- Mix two to three drops of any essential oil with a tablespoon of coconut or virgin olive oil and apply over the area following with a warm compressor for two minutes. Repeat this three to five times daily.
- You can use this blend as a rubbing mixture after twenty-four hours from the initial treatment.
- Another great blend is to add eight drops of lavender and peppermint oil each to a tablespoon of hot extra virgin olive oil. You can massage your injured area with this blend and get amazing results.
Tips and Precautions
- If you have allergies to any of the above oils, refrain from using it.
- If your injury is serious and troubling you a lot, it’s better to consult a doctor.
- Give you injured area proper time and rest to recover fully.
- Before using any oil, make a patch test first to see if it suits you or not.
- While using any heavy essential oil, dilute it with any healthy oil and then apply.
All the essential oils described above are worth using to treat your sprains naturally.
But when we are talking about treating sprains, you can NEVER skip the term “rest and elevation.”
Especially rest is the most important thing here. Nothing can heal you faster than ample amount of rest of the injured area.
The elevation is also important as it helps to maintain proper blood flow to the area and accelerates healing.
We hope that this article came to your benefit. Try these essential oils, and if you have any questions, you can ask us by leaving a comment on our comments section below.