Hinoki essential oil originates from Japanese cypress or Chamaecyparis obtusa. The wood of the hinoki tree was traditionally used to build shrines in Japan as it is resistant to fungi and termites.
Hinoki essential oil comes with light pinkish-brown color and a woodsy, slightly citrusy fragrance. It possesses numerous therapeutic values. 
You can use this essential oil for numerous practical things in and around your home. Starting from uplifting your mood to promoting hair growth, this oil can help you with its beneficial properties.
This article looks at some benefits and uses of hinoki essential oil.
Properties of Hinoki Essential Oil
The key components of hinoki essential oil are: 
- B-Caryophyllene alcohol
Benefits of Hinoki Essential Oil
1. Hinoki Essential Oil May Reduce Anxiety.
Hinoki is a relaxing and calming essential oil. This essential oil is known to relieve stress, and anxiety and provide comfort. It can help balance the activity of the parasympathetic or unconscious nervous system.
In a 2015 study, thirteen female students participated. They received hinoki oil as olfactory stimulation. The result shows the oil could induce physiological relaxation. 
Another study published in 2015 shows the positive effects of hinoki essential oil on nervous system activity and mood states. 
2. It May Promote Hair Growth.
Hinoki essential oil can improve your hair and scalp health. It’s a popular ingredient in commercial hair products to promote hair growth.
A study was published in 2010. In this study, shampoos containing hinoki oil could promote hair growth in shaved mice. 
You can use this oil by mixing it with a carrier oil or adding it to shampoos.
3. Hinoki Essential Oil May Treat Respiratory Problem.
Research published in 2014 proved the anti-inflammatory activities of hinoki essential oil. 
Massaging diluted hinoki oil on the feet, chest, and back may reduce the symptoms of common respiratory problems and give you comfort.
4. It Can Improve Cardiovascular Health.
Hinoki essential oil can lower your blood pressure and improve your heart rate. This oil can be beneficial for your overall cardiovascular health.
Researchers found that this essential oil can reduce systolic blood pressure and heart rate. 
5. Hinoki Essential Oil Can Repel Insect.
If you have bugs or insects at your home, you can deter them by using hinoki oil. This essential oil can be a natural and chemical-free substitute for your traditional pest control.
In a study published in 2015, the effects of hinoki oil on fruit flies and house flies were tested. This oil showed a strong repellent effect on both flies. The study considered hinoki oil as a human-friendly natural insect repellent. 
6. It Can Treat MRSA.
Treating infectious diseases can be difficult due to antibiotic-resistance bacteria. Hinoki essential oil contains antibacterial properties. It can treat infectious diseases like MRSA.
In a 2015 study, the antibacterial activity of hinoki oil was investigated against MRSA. This oil successfully inhibited the growth of MRSA. 
Related: 15 Ways to Get Rid of MRSA Naturally
7. Hinoki Essential Oil May Promote Healthy Skin.
Hinoki essential oil is claimed to make your skin soft, healthy, and glowy. Mixing it with lotions or creams may provide you with soft and supple skin.
Note: When using hinoki essential oil with lotions, oils, or creams, don’t forget to store them in glass bottles.
How to Use Hinoki Essential Oil
There are various ways to use hinoki essential oil:
- Dilute this essential oil with a suitable carrier oil and use it for massage.
- Diffuse a few drops of hinoki oil and let its aroma spread through your house.
- You can also inhale its aroma directly from the bottle to reduce your anxiety and improve your mood.
- Add a few drops of hinoki essential oil into your bath water to have a relaxing bath.
- Add a few drops of hinoki essential oil to your floor cleaner to remove insects and bugs.
Precautions to Follow
- Always read the label carefully before using this essential oil.
- Hinoki oil may cause allergies in some people.  Avoid using this oil if you’re allergic to it.
- Keep this oil out of reach of kids.
- If you’re pregnant or have a medical condition, consult with your doctor before using it.
- Apply a little amount of this oil to your less sensitive area for a patch test.
- Store this essential oil in a cold and dry place.
Best Blending Options
Hinoki essential oil blends well with some other essential oils. These are:
- Cypress Oil.
- Jasmine Oil.
- Roman Chamomile Oil.
- Ylang Ylang Oil.
- Bergamot Oil.
- Lavender Oil.
- Frankincense Oil.
- Cedarwood Oil.
Hinoki or Japanese cypress trees are the higher-priced species native to Japan. These trees were considered one of the most valuable trees in the Kiso region.
Due to its incredible aroma, people use it to energize and uplift their minds. This oil can also help you keep calm and relaxed if you suffer from anxiety.
Hinoki essential oil can also prevent the development of harmful bacteria, fungi, as well as microbes. You can also add this oil to your regular hair care regime.
Always purchase essential oils from a reputed supplier. Moderate use under proper guidance can save you from any adverse effects.