Grapeseed oil comes from the remaining grape seeds after the production of grape juice and wine. The seeds are pressed to get the oil out of them.
It contains vitamin C, vitamin E, Linoleic acid, and many other powerful antioxidants. (1)
Grapeseed oil is beneficial for your skin. It acts as a light moisturizer along with some great healing effects for various skin disorders.
In this article, we will discuss some research-backed benefits and uses of grapeseed oil for skin.
Uses of Grapeseed Oil For Skin Care
1. A Great Moisturizer for Skin
Moisturizers are essential when it comes to skincare. Grapeseed oil is a wonderful moisturizer for your skin.
The oil is enriched with good vitamins and minerals that provide the perfect moisture to your skin, making it smooth and soft.
- To use grapeseed oil as a moisturizer, you just need to take a tiny amount of the oil on your hand and apply it all over your face.
2. Lightening Your Skin
Grapeseed oil, being rich in vitamin C and Vitamin E, can even out your skin tone and lighten it.
If you have blemishes or dark spots on your skin, grapeseed oil will take care of them by reducing the intensity, which will result in a brighter skin tone.
If your skin has any hyperpigmented (2) area, the oil will work on that as well.
- Take a few drops of grapeseed oil and mix a few drops of carrot or lemon essential oil to make a mixture.
- Apply this onto your skin for better results.
3. Hydrating Skin
Your skin needs hydration. Perfectly hydrated skin results in many other skin benefits. The minerals of grapeseed oil provide your skin with the proper hydration it needs.
Many of you suffer from the dryness of your skin. Dry skin tends to become rough and harsh which leads to skin infections and itching.
So hydration is very important for your skin, especially for dry skin types. Use grapeseed oil to remove dryness and to get a flawless texture.
- Combine your grapeseed oil with some freshwater or rosewater and pour the mixture into a spray bottle.
- Keep the bottle with you wherever you go and spray some of the mixtures whenever you feel the need to hydrate your face.
READ MORE: 10 Nourishing Home Remedies for Dry Skin & How to Use Them)
4. Balancing Oil Production
Our skin produces oil naturally. These oils are very beneficial for our skin as they provide natural moisture and nourishment and the best part is that they are produced in our body naturally.
The glands which produce the oil are known as sebaceous glands (3).
Sebum production can vary with skin types and age.
Oily skin types are more likely to produce sebum than dry types. Excess oil can cause infections on your skin. Also, no one wants a greasy face.
The use of grapeseed oil, in this case, balances the production of sebum. It maintains a level that will provide the necessary oil for dry skin while reducing excess oil production for oily skin.
- Apply a few drops of this oil regularly on your skin.
5. Eliminating Spider Veins
Spider vein, also known as varicose vein (4) is a very common phenomenon. Such veins can appear anywhere on your body.
The use of grapeseed oil can eliminate these veins if applied regularly maintaining the following procedure.
- Mix 10 to 15 drops of cypress essential oil with your grapeseed oil and apply it all over the area that you want to treat
- Do this right after taking a shower when the body is wet.
- Repeat this regularly.
6. Cleansing Oil
The idea of cleansing oil is very common these days. (5)
In the present era, people are looking for cleansing oils that will cleanse the skin of dirt and pollutants while providing moisture as well. Cleansing oils are a new substitute for make-up-removing serums as well.
Well, good news for you! Grapeseed oil is a wonderful cleansing oil that not only clarifies your skin but also provides it protection from many other skin problems.
- You can make a DIY cleansing oil at home. For this, you can choose any other essential oils that work great on your skin and combine them with the majority of grapeseed oil.
- Fill up a pump bottle with the mixture.
- Pump some oil out of the bottle whenever you need to cleanse your face.
7. Restoring Collagen
Collagen is a protein that can be found in abundance in our body. This protein provides elasticity, and strength and promotes the generation of new skin cells.
Collagen (6) is very important for our skin as it forms a fibrous net beneath our skin cells and protects our skin from harm’s way.
As we age, collagen starts breaking down resulting in deterioration of your skin’s natural balance. If the perfect method is chosen, collagen can be restored.
The use of grapeseed oil can help you in this regard. Compounds of grapeseed oil help in restoring collagen and forming healthy skin cells.
- Apply a few drops of grapeseed oil regularly to your skin.
8. Reducing Wrinkles
Wrinkles (7) and fine lines are very common with growing age. Grapeseed oil is known to contain elements that can help reduce wrinkles on your skin.
- Apply grapeseed oil over your wrinkles.
- Leave it on your skin overnight.
- Repeat daily.
READ MORE: 11 Effective Home Remedies to Get Rid of Wrinkles & How to Use Them
9. Tightens Your Skin
Tight and firm skin works as the perfect base for a good look. It’s easier to put makeup on firm skin.
Grapeseed oil contains astringent (8) property which tightens your skin resulting in a firm and supple-looking skin.
- Apply grapeseed oil on your face regularly.
- Also, apply this oil to any parts of your body that you feel need firmness.
10. As An Anti-Aging Serum
Grapeseed oil is well known as an anti-aging element these days.
The use of this oil on your skin promotes healthy and new skin cells and ensures proper oxygen supply to them.
Thus the application of grapeseed oil as an anti-aging serum can fight against the signs of aging and make your skin youthful, firm, well-toned, and attractive.
- Take a few drops of grapeseed oil and apply them all over your skin.
- Do this regularly.
11. Repairing Skin Cells
Grapeseed oil is rich in vitamin E, vitamin C, Linoleic acid, and powerful antioxidants, works great on dull and lifeless skin by adding a little life to them.
Our skin cells get damaged with age and thus, our skin becomes sensitive and more pigmented day by day. Grapeseed oil acts as a remedy to these problems by generating the production of new skin cells along with repairing the damaged ones.
- Mix grapeseed oil with the essential oil of your choice.
- Apply the mixture regularly to your skin.
12. Reduces Sun Damage
Getting a suntan is often signified as an added beauty to your body, but in reality, a tan represents damage to the skin cells and tissues. This damage, if too severe, can even lead to skin cancer.
Sunburn often causes inflammation, redness, itching, stinging and peeling of the skin. The application of grapeseed oil can reduce problems and protect your skin from severe sun damage.
- Take a few drops of this oil and apply them to your sun-damaged skin.
- Repeat daily for better results.
13. Eliminating Dark Circles
Grapeseed oil also works great in eliminating dark circles from your eyes. It lightens your dark circles and eliminates them entirely if used regularly.
- Just dab a couple of drops of this oil on your under-eye area.
- Leave it on overnight.
- Repeat every night.
READ MORE: Almond Oil for Dark Circles Under Eye: Here’s How to And Why
14. Minimizing Pores
There are many pores (9) minimizing serums or lotions available on the market. Grapeseed oil can act as a natural pore minimizer.
The powerful antioxidants and vitamins of grapeseed oil help to tighten your skin and minimize the appearance of pores on your face.
- Take a few drops of this oil and apply them over your pores.
- Gently rub it on your skin.
- Repeat every day.
15. As a Facial Toner
Toner is essential for proper skincare. Vitamin C and astringents of grapeseed oil help you in achieving skin that is glowing and radiant.
This can work as a natural toner (10) for your face.
- Apply some grapeseed oil immediately after washing your face with a face wash or after exfoliation.
16. A Summertime Body Lotion
It becomes hard to take care of your body during summer as the application of any moisturizing lotions or serums during this season causes irritation and sweating.
Grapeseed oil can aid this problem. The oil, being non-greasy and lightweight, makes a suitable element for a summer-time body lotion.
Combine your grapeseed oil with a few drops of your favorite essential oil and your summertime body lotion is ready.
- Apply this lotion as per your need during the summertime.
17. Healing Scars
Your body and skin develop many scars with growing age. Grapeseed oil can heal scars on your skin by regular application.
Also if your skin develops a new scar, apply grapeseed oil immediately to it for faster recovery.
- Apply a few drops of this oil to your affected area regularly.
READ MORE: How to Use Argan Oil for Acne & Acne Scar
18. Reducing Stretch Marks
Stretch marks (11) can be the results of sudden growth in teens, too much weight loss, or rapid weight gain and pregnancy.
Stretch marks appear to be red at first which turns grayish with time. Grapeseed oil can’t possibly eliminate the marks but it can reduce their appearance of them and make them fade away slowly.
If you can make sure to apply some of this oil right after the hint of a stretch mark, you might even eliminate it entirely.
- Take a few drops of this oil and massage gently over your stretch marks.
- Repeat regularly.
READ MORE: 7 Most Effective Essential Oils for Stretch Marks and How to Use Them
19. Healing Acne
Acne (12) is an infection of the skin. It is defined as a skin disease that is caused by changes in the sebaceous glands, resulting in inflammation and redness of the skin. It also results in pimples and swollen skin with visible scarring.
Grapeseed oil contains polyphenols that help in reducing the redness and inflammation caused by acne.
The astringent property of this oil fights the acne-causing bacteria and prevents your skin from getting affected by them which reduces the chances of acne on your skin.
The active antioxidants and vitamins of grapeseed oil heal your acne-affected skin and prevent further infections.
- Mix your grapeseed oil with some other soothing essential oil.
- Apply the mixture to your affected skin.
- Do this on a daily basis.
READ MORE: How Apple Cider Vinegar Can Help You Get Rid of Your Acne
Grapeseed oil is not greasy, significantly lightweight, and has a very thin consistency. All this goodness comes in one package.
The best benefit of grapeseed oil is that the oil doesn’t clog the pores of your skin, making it a must-have for skin treatments.
It can be beneficial for your skin in a number of ways. Also, grapeseed oil is more affordable than many other beauty products.
READ NEXT: 10 Amazing Benefits of Grapeseed Oil for Hair + How to Use It