Aloe vera oil is made by combining aloe vera gel and a carrier oil .
This is why, it practically contains the same properties as aloe vera, a perennial drought-resistant plant that originated in Africa [1, 2].
Aloe vera, which was described by the Greeks during the ancient times as a “universal panacea” has long been used for its medicinal purposes .
Its bioactive ingredients are believed to be effective in treating burns, allergies, arthritis, ulcer, diabetes, and inflammatory disorders.
It is so versatile, and can cure a myriad of health issues that it only makes sense to have it at home.
Some of its practical uses and benefits that have been proven by scientific research are explained in greater detail below.
1. Aloe Vera Oil Treats Wounds and Burns
One of the most common uses of aloe vera since the earlier times is for treating wounds and burns.
A study conducted in 1994 reported that aloe vera can speed up wound healing and tone down inflammation with its mannose-6-phosphate .
This compound has been found superior to saline solutions in treating wounds .
A similar conclusion was reached by Iranian researchers who investigated aloe vera’s effect on postoperative wounds, saying that this herbal remedy improved healing time and alleviated pain .
In 2010, a group of Iranian scientists investigated aloe vera’s effect on postoperative wounds, analyzing how well it worked not only in promoting healing but also in alleviating pain .
To do this, 49 patients who have just undergone a surgery were given either aloe vera or a placebo three times a day for four weeks .
After the first two weeks, significant reduction in pain was already observed among the members of the aloe vera group .
Their wounds also healed a lot more quickly compared to those in the placebo group .
The patients who used aloe vera required fewer analgesics for pain relief .
In another study, also by Iranian researchers, aloe vera was compared with silver sulfadiazine creams in the treatment of second-degree burns .
Of the 30 patients suffering from second-degree burns, half were treated with aloe vera and the other silver sulfadiazine creams .
Healing of the burns was much faster with aloe vera .
The burn sites healed completely in less than two weeks .
- Aloe vera can help speed up the healing time for wounds and second-degree burns.
- It can also tone down inflammation and reduce pain.
RELATED: Aloe Vera For Heat Rash : 5 Reasons to Try Now!
2. Aloe Vera Oil Has Anti-Tumor Effects
Did you know that up to 95 percent of cancer cases are due to lifestyle and environmental factors ?
Fact is, cancer can be prevented with healthy diet, regular exercise, moderate consumption of alcohol, quitting smoking, avoidance of sunlight exposure, frequent medical check-ups and so on .
So how come more and more people are still being diagnosed with cancer each year?
It’s probably about time that people commit to making the necessary changes in their lifestyles.
They should also learn more about anti-cancer remedies such as aloe vera.
Studies have shown that aloe vera has anti-tumor and chemopreventive properties that are effective in various stages of carcinogenesis [8, 9].
It was noted in a 2010 study that oral intake of aloe vera leaf extract at a dose of 1000mg/kg body weight decreased the number and size of wart-like growths on the skin .
The aloe vera gel resulted in 100 percent reduction of tumor incidence in a period of 16 weeks .
- Lifestyle changes can help reduce the risk of cancer.
- Aloe vera, a natural remedy with anti-tumor and chemopreventive activities, can also ward off this disease.
- It reduced tumor incidence by up to 100 percent.
3. Aloe Vera Oil Can Relieve Psoriasis
Psoriasis, as explained in WebMD, occurs when “the skin cells multiply up to 10 times faster than normal”.
This results in the formation of scaly patches and red plaques usually on the elbows, scalp and knees.
It causes great discomfort and itchiness, and severely affects a person’s self-esteem.
It’s a good thing you can relieve the symptoms of psoriasis is with the use of aloe vera.
It is well documented in scientific literature that aloe vera is a safe and effective method for treating psoriasis and its symptoms as it does not have any side effects [9, 10].
In a study featured in the Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology, researchers conducted a double-blind study to assess the effects of aloe vera extract among psoriasis patients .
A total of 60 patients with mild to moderate psoriasis participated in the study, and were randomized to receive either 0.5 percent aloe vera extract or a placebo .
The medication assigned to them was applied three times a day for five day consecutive days for four weeks .
Results of the study show that aloe vera had a remarkable 83.3 percent healing rate, clearing the plaques almost entirely .
- Aloe vera can help manage the chronic condition of psoriasis.
- It works better than the placebo in alleviating symptoms such as itchiness, scaly skin, and inflammation.
- It is not only effective but also safe, as it does not cause any serious side effects.
4. Aloe Vera Oil Can Help Manage Oral Submucous Fibrosis
According to Wikipedia, oral submucous fibroris refers to the “fibrosis of the submucosal tissues” inside the mouth.
Fibrosis is the process in which connective tissues thicken after a damage or injury .
A natural remedy commonly used for this condition is aloe vera.
A study that can be found in the Journal of Oral Pathology & Medicine reports that aloe vera is a safe, economical, easily available and non-invasive treatment for oral submucous fibrosis .
- Aloe vera is a safe and efficient way to resolve fibrosis of the submucosal tissues in the mouth.
5. Aloe Vera Oil Can Heal Peptic Ulcer
When there are breaks or lesions in your stomach lining, you will suffer from severe pain and discomfort, a condition called peptic ulcer .
It is typically caused by a type of bacteria referred to as Helicobacter pylori, according to WebMD.
There’s no need to suffer for long.
Ulcer can be relieved with some herbal remedies like aloe vera.
Thai researchers reveal that aloe vera treats peptic ulcer by reducing adherence of bacteria in the digestive tract and by promoting healing of the lesions .
This was the conclusion they reached after they tested aloe vera extract on male rats with gastric ulcers .
The ulcers were healed after eight days .
- A painful lesion in the lining of the stomach, peptic ulcer can be treated with the use of aloe vera.
RELATED: Aloe Vera for Gastritis & Ulcer : Learn Why & How?
6. Aloe Vera Oil is an Efficient Remedy for Genital Herpes
Genital herpes is one of the most common sexually transmitted diseases in the world .
In a study featured at the Journal of Dermatological Treatment, researchers probed the efficacy and safety of aloe vera for the treatment of this condition .
The clinical trial involved male participants aged 18 to 45 years, who were given either aloe vera extract or placebo to be applied on the lesions three times a day for five consecutive days .
It was found that those treated with aloe vera had a shorter healing time than those that used placebo .
Not only that, the treatment was well tolerated among the patients who did not complain of any side effects .
Only three of the 22 healed participants experienced recurrence of the condition .
This is enough evidence that this herbal treatment works for this particular sexually transmitted disease.
- A prevalent sexually transmitted disease anywhere in the world, genital herpes can be treated with aloe vera.
- Aloe vera is quick acting in combating the viral infection causing this disease.
- It is also safe to use, and does not cause any adverse reactions.
- Recurrence is also rare for those who have been treated with this remedy.
7. Aloe Vera Oil Can Alleviate Diaper Dermatitis
Are there rashes on your baby’s bottom?
It might be diaper dermatitis, a prevalent inflammatory condition that infants and children suffer from .
It’s not only itchy but also painful and annoying.
That’s why, you’ve probably noticed that since the appearance of the rashes, your baby has been crankier and fussier than usual.
An Iranian study sought to investigate the therapeutic efficacy of aloe vera for this skin problem .
Results show that topical application of aloe vera can significantly reduce the severity of diaper dermatitis,
Since there were no side effects observed on baby’s skin and health, this makes aloe vera an ideal natural treatment for babies .
- Applying aloe vera on the skin of babies can alleviate the symptoms of diaper dermatitis, which include rashes, inflammation and redness.
- As it doesn’t cause any harmful effects on the baby’s skin and health, parents will have peace of mind knowing that they’re not putting their babies at risk using this remedy.
RELATED: 12 Home Remedies for Diaper Rash in Babies
8. Aloe Vera Oil Can Help Slow Down Aging
If you want to keep your skin looking young and fresh, try using aloe vera.
Aloe vera’s anti-aging powers have not gone unnoticed.
That’s because aloe vera is rich in antioxidants that can fight free radical damage [16, 17].
As you probably know, free radical damage causes premature aging of the skin, triggering the formation of fine lines and wrinkles .
That’s not all, it has also been associated with age-related disorders such as heart disease, cancer, diabetes, arthritis and Alzheimer’s disease .
Neutralizing free radical damage is important not only in keeping your youthful glow but also keeping serious ailments at bay.
- Premature skin aging and age-related disorders can be delayed with the help of antioxidant-rich aloe vera.
- Its antioxidants are highly active in neutralizing the cellular damage caused by free radicals.
RELATED: 11 Ways to Get Rid of Wrinkles Using Home Remedies
9. Aloe Vera Oil Can Control Fungal Infections
Some of the most common types of fungal infections are ringworm, athlete’s foot, and jock itch.
Fungal infections usually do not cause any serious problem but they can be itchy and annoying.
It can also be make it difficult for you to feel confident in your own skin.
To relieve yourself of the discomfort it causes, you can make use of aloe vera.
Aloe vera has been shown to have potent antifungal properties on various fungal species [20, 21].
- Control fungal infections that make you feel self-conscious with the help of aloe vera oil.
- As a strong antifungal agent, it can help kill the source of infection, and in the process, alleviate symptoms such as redness and itchiness.
10. Aloe Vera Oil Keeps Acne Away
Looking for an effective way to get rid of those unsightly pimples?
You don’t have look any further, simply make use of aloe vera oil.
In a study participated in by 18 adults suffering from acne, it was shown that 90 percent of those who used aloe vera healed after 48 hours .
Another study pointed out that aloe vera improved basil oil’s anti-acne properties .
It reduced the number of days usually required by basil to clear acne .
There were a few observed side effects, but most were mild and tolerable .
Researchers concluded that the combination of aloe vera and basil was a lot more effective than 1 percent Clindamycin in treating facial acne .
- Acne is a very common skin infection that can be remedied with the use of aloe vera oil.
- That’s because aloe vera has effective antibacterial compounds that can destroy the main cause of the skin problem.
- It also improved the efficacy of basil in treating acne lesions.
RELATED: Aloe Vera Gel for Acne: 12 Sure-Fire Ways to Cure Acne
11. Aloe Vera Oil Reduces Sun Damage
Overexposure to sun’s harmful UV rays can result in sunburn, according to the National Health Services.
This causes the skin to turn red, painful and tender, which lasts for up to one week.
A good solution for this is aloe vera oil.
According to research, aloe vera doesn’t only treat but can also prevent sunburn .
- Sunburn is caused by overexposure to the sun’s UV radiation.
- This condition, which causes stinging pain and itchiness of the skin, can be remedied and prevented with aloe vera.
12. Aloe Vera Oil Keeps the Skin Moisturized
Dry skin is a common problem, which can fortunately be resolved with aloe vera oil.
A study that was published in the Skin Research and Technology showed that aloe vera has moisturizing effects .
Its humectant mechanism makes it an effective hydration tool for the skin .
If your skin feels dry and rough, slather aloe vera oil generously.
- Aloe vera oil can help keep the skin moisturized thanks to its humectant properties.
Aloe vera oil holds many amazing benefits that people should know more about.
It’s primarily beneficial for the skin, treating wounds, burns and scaly patches in psoriasis.
It could also be used to treat internal diseases such as stomach ulcers and genital herpes, among others.
READ NEXT: 11+ Health Benefits of Aloe Vera Oil (Backed by Scientific Evidence)