A face full of ugly scars; we know how embarrassing that can be!
Chickenpox scars are unpleasant marks on the skin, left by the severe viral infection – Chickenpox. Varicella-zoster virus causes it. Since children are the primary victims of chicken pox, it’s often considered a ‘childhood rite of passage.’ (1)
This article will be an ultimate guide for you to treat chickenpox marks at home. We have some of the most effective and natural home remedies for chickenpox scars.
Medical treatments such as excision, photo facial and dermabrasion to eliminate these marks are too costly and come with obvious side effects. It is worth considering about natural remedies before you go for them. (2)
These alternative treatments are way more effective, cheaper and safer to do away with these ugly marks once and for all.
Keep reading to learn more about:
- Chickenpox and its common symptoms
- 12 natural ways to treat chickenpox scars
- Extra tips for controlling chickenpox and its scars
Chickenpox and its Common Symptoms
Itchy rashes and red blisters are common symptoms of chickenpox along with fever, headache, and loss of appetite.
The classic chickenpox rash has three phases. (3)
After experiencing the initial symptoms for 2 to 3 days, the red or pink rashes begin to form all over your body.
During the next few days they transform into blisters; filled with fluid.
In the last phase, the blisters become crusty, and the edgy layer falls off leaving unsightly marks on your skin.
12 Natural Remedies for Chickenpox Scars
You can perform any of the following home remedies to get back a scar free skin.
1. Baking Soda
During a chickenpox outbreak, you have the natural urge to scratch and pick at the blisters. This habit leads to the formation and growth of scars in the first place.
Baking soda does the extraordinary job of easing the itchiness of the scabs. Thus it prevents you from scratching them. Even in the case of formed scars, it can work as a natural cleansing agent.
- Baking soda – 2 tbsp
- Add the baking soda with water and make a paste.
- Apply the paste to your scarred skin
- Massage gently for 2-3 minutes.
- Allow it to dry
- Wash off your skin with water.
- Repeat the process daily for quick results.
Also Read: How to use Baking Soda for Constipation.
2. Coconut Water
Coconut water is a potent agent to deal with skin health issues. It is a storehouse of minerals, vitamins and essential nutrients for the nourishment of your skin. It is rich in anti-inflammatory and anti-viral properties like lauric acid, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, and sodium (5).
The anti-inflammatory components can soothe and ease the irritation of your scabs. They also help to regulate cell growth and acidity level of the skin effectively. A daily use of coconut water can clear off the scar marks on your skin.
- Coconut water 2 glasses
- Warm water 1 glass
- Cotton ball
Process 1: topical application
You can directly apply coconut water onto your scared skin. This method is beneficial immediately after the culmination of the infection.
- Make a solution mixing 2 glasses of coconut water and 1 glass of mildly warm water
- Rinse your affected skin and scars with the solution for 15-20 minutes
- Repeat the process thrice a week.
You can use a cotton ball to apply coconut water to the scars as well.
- Dip a cotton ball in coconut water
- Gently apply the cotton ball on the marks and affected skin
- Repeat the process several times a day.
Process 2: Drink coconut water
- Begin your day with a glass of coconut water on a daily basis.
Note:In case your blood pressure is low, consult an expert before drinking coconut water. It can lower your blood pressure levels.
Also Read:Coconut Oil for Herpes: How Effective?
3. Lemon Juice
Lemon juice is stoked with vitamin C. This essential vitamin produces a skin-friendly protein called collagen. It makes the skin strong, resilient and flexible.
Lemon’s alpha hydroxy acid restores damaged skin. It is also a natural bleaching agent to fade the scars. (6)
Apply sunscreen before going outside if you use lemon juice treatments.
- Lemon juice 1 tbsp.
- Cotton ball
- Soak a cotton ball in the lemon juice
- Apply the cotton ball onto your chicken pox scars.
- Wait for 10 minutes.
- Wash off using clean water
Note:Regular Use of lemon juice can make your skin photosensitive. So, don’t forget to use sunscreen when you step out in the sun. In case of sensitive skin, dilute the lemon juice with water. (7)
Oats can help lighten even the most stubborn chicken pox scars. Oat is a great moisturizer to hydrate your skin. It can reduce the redness of skin and heal skin discoloration effectively.
There are various methods of using oats to heal your scarred skin.
Process 1: cooked oats massage
- Raw oats 1 cup
- Water to boil 2 cups
- Boil water and add the oats
- Cook until its pasty.
- Let it cool down
- Massage the cooked oats like a paste into the scarred skin for few minutes.
- Leave it on the skin for 10 minutes,
- Rinse off with water.
- Repeat the process regularly to fade scars.
Process 2: Oats with yogurt and lemon juice
- Raw oats powder 1 cup
- Yogurt 3 tbsp.
- Lemon juice 1 tbsp.
- Grind raw oats into a fine powder.
- Mix the powder with yogurt and lemon juice.
- Apply the solution to scars
- Let it dry on your skin.
- Wash your skin with cool water
- Repeat the process regularly.
5. Vitamin E
Reset your diet with vegetables, fruits, and nuts that are rich in vitamin E to repair your damaged skin. Vitamin E comes with anti-oxidants and collagen. These properties can clean bacteria, reduce scars and hydrate your skin. (8)
Some natural source of vitamin E: almonds, spinach, papaya, avocado, etc.
Here’s the process of a homemade vitamin E cream to get rid of your chicken pox marks:
- Ripe avocado 1
- Apple cider vinegar 2 tbsp.
- Raw honey 2 tbsp
- Mash avocado.
- Add apple cider vinegar and raw honey to the mash
- Apply the cream to scars
- Leave it on the skin for 15-20 minutes.
- Wash off with water
- Repeat the process regularly.
Honey is a great skin moisturizer. It has bleaching properties to make the scar marks look lighter.
Honey is one of the best natural agents that many prefer to get rid of chickenpox scars at home.
- Water 1 tbsp.
- Oats 1 tbsp.
- Honey 1 tbsp.
- Mix the oat with water and stir it well until it turns into a soft paste.
- Add honey to the paste and blend again.
- Apply the mixture to the scar affected area
- Keep it on the skin for fifteen minutes
- Wash with clean water
Also Read:Honey for Sore Throat: Good or Bad?
7. Papaya Scrub
Papaya is enriched with the unique papain enzyme. It exfoliates the skin off the dead and discolored skin cells caused by scars. Papaya is a hydrating agent for your skin because it’s low in sodium content. It also contains vitamin C and hence collagen to repair your skin tissues. (10)
A scrub of papaya with certain other ingredients can effectively remove your chicken pox scars:
- Fresh milk 5 tbsps.
- Brown sugar 5 tbsps.
- Fresh papaya pulp 1 cup
- Mild soap
- Mix brown sugar with the milk and blend it properly.
- Add papaya pulp to the solution of milk and sugar.
- Blend well
- Wash the chicken pox-scarred skin with water and a mild soap.
- Apply the papaya scrub right onto your skin.
- Give 15-20 minutes process time.
- Wash off with water.
8. Coconut Oil
The coconut oil at your home is more than just a hair oil. It stores medium chain fatty acids which can hydrate the skin and boost collagen production. This essential oil can generate new blood vessels in the scar affected areas quicker than any other natural remedy agents.
- Extra virgin Coconut oil
- Pour extra virgin coconut oil on your palms
- Apply the oil directly onto your scars.
- Massage gently and allow the skin to absorb the oil
- Repeat the process 3 or 4 times a day.
9. Aloe Vera Gel
Aloe Vera has the reputation of being a potent herbal remedy for skin and hair.
It is full of anti-oxidants and anti-inflammatory properties. Aloe Vera can ease the irritation and heal the chicken pox affected skin. It is also a great moisturizer and promotes collagen to regenerate new skin tissues in scarred areas.
- Aloe Vera gel – as per the requirement
- Slice open a fresh Aloe Vera leaf and extract the gel
- Apply it on the pox-scars.
- Gently massage for 2-3 minutes
- leave it to dry until the skin feels tight
- wash it away with water
- Repeat the process 3-4 times daily.
10. Cocoa Butter
Cocoa butter is extracted from cocoa seeds.
The concentrated fat of cocoa butter moisturizes the skin effectively. Since it can reach deep into the skin layers, it can retain the moisture for a long time. It repairs the damaged skin and makes marks less visible. (11)
- Cocoa butter – as per the requirement
- Apply cocoa butter to the affected area
- Massage in a circular motion for 2-3 minutes
- Repeat the process 3 times daily
11. Lavender Essential Oil
Lavender oil is well known for a host of therapeutic properties.
This sweet-scented herbal oil is rich with antifungal and antiseptic properties for curing skin infections, scars, and wounds. It is an exceptional healing agent to regenerate new tissue cells on scarred areas.
It’s better to dilute the lavender oil with a carrier oil before using it directly onto our skin.
- Lavender essential oil – 1 to 2 drops.
- Coconut oil or olive oil – 1 to 2 tbsps.
- Add lavender oil to one of the carrier oils
- Apply the oil solution to your pox-marks
- Repeat 2 to 3 times daily.
Sandalwood powder is well-known for skin fairness. It can remove the scar and blemish from your pox affected skin. Especially red sandalwood has the power to improve your complexion and fade scars.
- Sandalwood powder 3 tbsp.
- Raw honey 3 tbsp. or
- Rose water 2 tbsp.
- Add sandalwood powder with raw honey or rosewater and blend them well.
- Cover your scarred skin with the paste
- Let it dry on the skin
- Wash off with water
- Repeat the process 3 times daily.
We all know the importance of cucumbers in our lives for its numerous health benefits.
The juice of cucumbers can provide an amazing cooling effect on your irritated skin and ensure relief to it. It does wonders to the burning sensations that you may have because of chicken pox. (12)
This miracle veggie is high in water content which makes it a wonderful home remedy for chickenpox scars.
It helps in reducing swelling of the skin. Its powerful antioxidants lighten pox scars and heal damaged skin. (13)
- 2 tablespoons of cucumber juice
- 1 tablespoon.lemon juice
- Cotton balls
- Mix cucumber juice with water and soak the cotton balls in it.
- Apply the mixture on your affected skin with the help of the soaked cotton balls.
- Leave it on your skin for fifteen minutes and then wash off with normal water.
- Repeat this remedy daily till you get your expected output.
14. Scar Removal Cream
You can make your personalized scar removal cream at home by using various natural ingredients discussed above.
Following is a recipe for homemade scar removal cream that can heal your skin and diminish all unsightly scars.
- 12 tablespoons of coconut oil.
- Vitamin E oil 2 tablespoon.
- lemon essential oil ½ teaspoon
- cocoa butter ½ cup
- Take a saucepan and pour coconut oil and cocoa butter in it.
- Melt them in a low heat
- Remove the pan from the heat
- Add vitamin E oil and lemon essential oil with the melted solution.
- As it cools down, it’ll thicken.
- Preserve it in a container.
- Use this cream on your scars 3 times a day.
Extra tips for controlling Chickenpox and its Scars
- Add vitamin K enriched food into your diet, such as dairy products, tomatoes, green turnips, liver, broccoli, spinach, cabbage, etc.
- Avoid scratching the blisters and rashes.
- Hydrate your skin by drinking a lot of water. (14)
- You can apply raw garlic paste on your scars to diminish them.
- To ease the itchiness of the pox blisters, you can have a neem water bath.
- Avoid sugar in your diet.
- A homemade cream with neem leaves powder, turmeric powder, and coconut oil can be effective to lighten scars. (15)
- Wash your face with mint juice.
- Consult a dermatologist in case of serious pain and irritation of pox blisters.
All these home remedies for chickenpox scars will help you achieve your skin like before.
Hope this article was helpful to you. If you have any questions, feel free to ask us.
You can share your experience of using these home remedies in our comment section. We would love to hear your success story!
Read Next:10 Quick Ways to Get Rid of Body Acne