Have you ever tried using black currant seed oil?
If not, it’s about time that you do.
It is said to help prevent cancer, heart problems, and inflammatory diseases .
Here in this article, we list some of the most notable benefits of black currant seed oil that you must know.
Let’s find out what science has to say about these claimed benefits.
Health Benefits of Black Currant Seed Oil
1. Black Currant Seed Oil Can Protect the Heart
Over 600,000 people die from heart disease each year, and that’s in the United States alone, according to a report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
It’s essential to protect your heart health with a healthy lifestyle and natural remedies that are heart-friendly.
An excellent example of this is black currant seed oil.
A study conducted at the University of London in the UK states that gamma-linolenic acid in black currant seed oil positively affects heart health .
Researchers from Australia and Switzerland discovered that this oil could lower the risk of ischemic arrhythmia in rat subjects .
Mayo Clinic defines ischemic arrhythmia as a heart condition characterized by irregular or abnormal heart beating that can weaken and put one’s life at risk.
All these mechanisms are due to the presence of GLA in the oil.
- Heart disease claims the lives of more than 600,000 Americans every year.
- A healthy lifestyle and using natural heart-friendly remedies can help boost heart health.
- GLA in black currant seed oil can promote heart health and maintain a regular heartbeat.
2. Black Currant Seed Oil Can Heal Eczema
You might have eczema if you have rough swollen patches on your skin that are painful and itchy.
Up to 20 percent of infants and 3 percent of adults suffer from this skin problem in the United States, reports WebMD.
It’s not only annoying, but it’s also embarrassing.
It can make you feel self-conscious about your skin all the time.
It’s a good thing natural remedies like black currant seed oil can help control the symptoms.
In 2010, Finnish scientists assessed the efficacy of black currant seed oil as a preventive measure for eczema in newborns .
To do this, 313 pregnant mothers were given either black currant seed oil or a placebo from the eighth to the sixteenth month of pregnancy until they stopped breastfeeding their newborns .
This was followed by supplementation to infants until two years of age .
After that, it was reported that the babies whose parents took in the black currant seed oil supplement were at a lower risk of eczema than their counterparts .
This is even though these babies are susceptible to this condition as their parents also have eczema .
- According to a study, black currant seed oil can help prevent eczema in children and babies.
3. Black Currant Seed Oil Can Alleviate Gout
Anyone who has experienced gout or any form of arthritis knows how debilitating this condition can be.
Gout, which refers to one type of arthritis, brings burning pain, inflammation, and stiffness .
It usually begins on the big toe .
It can make it difficult for you to walk and move around and may hamper your daily activities.
To relieve this problem, natural anti-inflammatory remedies must be employed.
A 1994 study points out that black currant seed oil can successfully suppress the accumulation of crystals in the joint .
This natural approach can, therefore, tone down pain and inflammation .
- Gout can cause pain, swelling, and stiffness, usually on the big toe.
- Walking, moving around, and performing daily tasks can be challenging for anyone with gout.
- Black currant seed oil can prevent the accumulation of monosodium urate crystals in the joint, which causes gout.
4. Black Currant Seed Oil Can Stabilize Blood Pressure Levels
High blood pressure should never be taken lightly.
Left untreated, it can lead to heart problems, stroke, kidney ailments, and dementia .
In 1993, researchers from the University of California conducted a seven-week experiment of feeding hypertensive rats with several oils, including black currant seed .
The findings showed a significant reduction in blood pressure levels among those fed with black currant seed oil, as stated in the conclusions .
The oil’s anti-hypertensive actions can be attributed to gamma-linolenic acid (GLA) .
- Hypertension or high blood pressure should not be left untreated as it can increase the risk of kidney disease, heart attack, stroke, and dementia.
- One way to maintain proper levels of blood pressure is with the use of black currant seed oil.
- Once again, GLA is considered responsible for this beneficial mode of action.
5. Black Currant Seed Oil Can Stimulate the Immune System
Protecting oneself from disease is essential to strengthen the body’s immune resistance.
When the body’s immune defense is strong, it will be difficult for viruses, bacteria, and other harmful disease-causing pathogens to penetrate the system.
Besides regular exercise and a healthy diet, you can also get immunostimulatory responses from natural substances like black currant seed oil.
In a study found in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 40 elderly healthy individuals were given either black currant seed oil or soybean oil .
By the time the study was over, those who received black currant seed oil had a more robust immune response .
Black currant seed oil’s immune-boosting powers can be attributed to its rich antioxidants .
It also works by reducing the production and release of prostaglandin E2 .
- Maintaining a robust immune system is essential to keep infections and diseases at bay.
- To do this, immunostimulating remedies like black currant seed oil must be used.
6. Black Currant Seed Oil Can Maintain Blood Sugar and Cholesterol Levels
Blood sugar and cholesterol levels should be monitored regularly.
In one of these studies, 15 female subjects were randomized to receive either three grams of black currant seed oil or 2.8 grams of fish oil for four weeks, with four weeks of washout in between .
Findings reveal that the cholesterol levels were lower after consumption of black currant seed oil than fish oil .
This oil is therefore essential in promoting overall health and wellness.
- Prevent heart disease, stroke, and diabetes with the help of black currant seed oil, which can tone down blood sugar levels and cholesterol.
7. Black Currant Seed Oil Can Alleviate Arthritis
Do you have pain or stiffness in your joints and have difficulty moving them?
If yes, you may have arthritis, as most conditions under this cause joint pain and inflammation .
Black currant seed oil doesn’t only work as a potent anti-inflammatory agent but also as a strong analgesic.
- A safe and effective way to relieve pain and inflammation is using black currant seed oil, which has been proven helpful in inflammatory diseases like arthritis.
8. Black Currant Seed Oil is Packed with Antioxidants
Not everything free is good for us, like free radicals.
To shield the body from these diseases, it must be equipped with antioxidants, such as those found in black currant seed oil.
Black currants are an excellent source of antioxidants, containing at least 15 types of anthocyanins that can help put up a good fight against harmful free radicals .
This oil can help the body neutralize the cellular damage caused by free radicals.
- Accumulating free radicals in the body can cause serious ailments such as heart disease, diabetes, cancer, and Alzheimer’s
- An excellent way to protect one’s health from free radical damage is using antioxidant-rich natural substances like black currant seed oil.
9. Black Currant Seed Oil is a Good Remedy for Flu
Flu is one of those things that you never want to catch.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) explains that flu is a “contagious respiratory illness caused by influenza viruses.”
Most cases are mild, but some can result in hospitalization or even death.
Apart from the recommended flu shot every six months, it also helps to fight the flu with natural remedies like black currant seed oil.
Since this oil contains antioxidants that can boost the immune defense, it’s also an excellent preventive measure for this and many other viral infections.
- The black currant seed oil has antiviral activities that make it a reliable natural treatment for influenza.
10. Black Currant Seed Oil Can Help Fight Cancer
Despite new technologies in cancer treatment, many people are still dying from this condition characterized by uncontrollable growth and spread of cancerous cells.
More and more people are diagnosed with cancer each year.
To help fight killer disease, it’s a must to take on a healthy lifestyle and stay away from possible carcinogens.
It’s also a smart move to make use of anti-cancer remedies like black currant seed oil.
Anthocyanins in this oil have been proven to have anti-cancer properties that work against many forms of cancer .
Black currants have high anthocyanin content, making them a viable preventive measure and treatment for cancer .
A study published in the Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry revealed that black currant successfully inhibited the spread of cancer cells in rats with liver cancer after 22 consecutive weeks of treatment .
This shows the potential of black currant seed oil for chemoprevention, but researchers recommend further investigation .
11. Black Currant Seed Oil Can Treat Herpes
The first is herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV-1), also known as oral herpes or cold sores, and the second is herpes simplex virus type 2 (HSV-2), a sexually transmitted virus that results in genital herpes.
Over 3 billion people are infected with oral herpes each year, while genital herpes affects more than 417 million, according to the WHO.
Researchers have found that black currant seed oil has antiherpes activities that work against these two types of viruses .
It doesn’t only prevent the formation of the virus but also prevents it from replicating in the cells .
Using black currant seed oil during the early stage of infection is more effective in combating the disease.
- Black currant seed oil’s antiherpes properties are effective for both herpes simplex virus type 1 and 2.
12. Black Currant Seed Oil Can Resolve Pneumonia
A 2012 study shows that black currant seed oil has antiviral effects on this particular type of bacteria and other strains that cause respiratory problems .
This makes black currant seed oil a viable treatment for pneumonia and other related ailments .
Besides its virucidal properties, black currant seed oil is also an efficient way to stimulate the body’s immune response, as mentioned earlier.
- Pneumonia is a lung infection commonly caused by a type of bacteria called Streptococcus pneumonia.
- It can be remedied with black currant seed oil, which has antibacterial properties.
Frequently Asked Questions and Answers
- Is black currant seed oil and black seed oil the same?
- No. Black seed oil and black currant seed oil are two different things. Black currant seed oil originates from currants, while black seed oil comes from cumin which is not the same thing.
- Is black seed oil good for health?
- Black seed oil is also well known for its powerful antioxidants and antifungal properties.
- Black seed oil vs. black currant seed oil.
- Black seed oil or black cumin oil is known for its contribution to fighting cancer, diabetes, skin disorders, obesity, and hair loss problems.
While black currant seed oil is known for treating skin conditions, inflammation, and high blood pressure.
Black currant seed oil benefits health in more ways than one.
Black currant seed oil can come to your aid, whether it’s an inflammatory condition, a viral infection, or any other health issue.
It’s also great to boost the body’s immunity to maintain good health and prevent diseases.
I hope this article has helped you. If you have any others queries or confusion, feel free to ask us. Also, don’t forget to share your experience with us by leaving a comment in the comments section below.