Blue Tansy essential oil is one of the most expensive essential oil. It’s highly admired for its fascinating aroma and various therapeutic properties. 
The scientific name of blue tansy oil is Tanacetum Annuum. It comes from the aerial part of a flowering plant through steam distillation.
Many people confuse blue tansy oil with tansy oil (Tanacetum Vulgare). While the name is quite similar, they are different.
What distinguishes blue tansy oil from the tansy oil is that the former one has a component named chamazulene. This component is responsible for the oils deep blue color. 
Properties of Blue Tansy Oil
The key chemical components found in blue tansy oil include: 
- a- Phellandrene.
The oil is rich in anti-inflammatory, analgesic, antibacterial, anti-allergenic, antiviral, and anti-fungal properties. The components make the oil capable of dealing with a wide range of ailments.
Benefits of Blue Tansy Essential Oil
1. Blue Tansy Essential Oil is Antimicrobial.
Blue Tansy oil is rich in anti-fungal and antibacterial properties. These components make the oil ideal for fighting bacterial infections. You can use this essential oil to treat various injuries and ailments. 
Blue Tansy oil can also treat nails, skin, and scalp infections due to fungus.
Besides, the oil can prevent the spread of bacteria. Therefore, it can reduce the chance of any secondary infections.
2. It Can Treat Allergies.
Blue Tansy essential oil can be a great help for those who suffer from seasonal allergies. It has natural antihistamine properties that can respond to an allergen.
The oil may treat various allergy symptoms such as rashes, sneezing, and watery eyes. And the best part is, unlike the prescribed medications, blue tansy oil is non-sedative.
3. Blue Tansy Essential Oil Can Relieve Arthritis.
Blue Tansy oil is rich in anti-inflammatory components. It can soothe muscle and joint pain.
This essential oil can help those who are suffering from chronic arthritis and gout. It can relieve the excruciating pain you experience due to joint inflammation.
If you’re suffering from gout, arthritis or simple muscle pain, a blue tansy oil bath or massage can help you.
4. It Ensures Digestive Health.
Proper digestion is crucial for your overall health. Blue Tansy oil makes sure your digestive system functions properly. It helps your body to absorb the nutrients from your diet.
As the oil can ensure proper digestion, you can get relief from gas, cramping, constipation, and indigestion.
5. Blue Tansy Essential Oil Reduces Stress & Anxiety.
You can put some blue tansy oil in the diffuser and inhale the aroma to put your mind at ease. The oil can do wonder on your mind. It’s calming properties will relax your nerves and help you get rid of anxiety and stress.
6. It Is Great for Skin.
Blue Tansy oil is popular as a moisturizing oil. But it also helps you get relief from a different skin condition.
The oil contains anti-inflammatory, antifungal, and antibacterial properties. Hence, it can treat skin disorders such as acne, psoriasis, and dermatitis. You can also use the oil to get rid of dry, irritated skin.
Note: Some people are sensitive to blue tansy oil. So, it’s highly recommended to do a patch test before using the oil.
7. Blue Tansy Essential Oil Can Soothe Headaches.
When you have a headache, it’s always better to go for natural solutions instead of aspirin. These chemical-infused drugs may have adverse effects on your body. 
Essential oils are a popular choice to ease a headache. The medicinal properties of blue tansy oil can reduce headaches.
Whether you have a headache due to sinus or stress, you can always rely on this particular essential oil. But, do not forget to dilute it before you go for a massage.
8. It Can Improve Respiratory System.
Blue Tansy oil is a great choice to improve your respiratory system. Its expectorant effects can clear up phlegm and mucus when you inhale it.
The anti-inflammatory and antiviral properties of blue tansy oil help kill the bacteria responsible for the condition and ease inflammation. This oil can also ease a cough and congestion, helping you to sleep.
You can inhale directly or diffuse the oil. For best result, blend blue tansy oil with eucalyptus or peppermint oil.
9. Blue Tansy Essential Oil Can Repel Insects.
Blue Tansy oil is quite beneficial to human, but not to the insects. Insects like mosquitoes, cockroaches, and termites prefer to stay away from this oil. It’s because the oil is very poisonous to them.
You can use blue tansy oil to a diffuser or in a spray mixing with water. It can repel these annoying insects, as well as lizards.
Read More: 8 Best Essential Oils for Bee Repellent
How to Use Blue Tansy Essential Oil
Blue Tansy oil can be used on its own. But you can also mix it with other essential oils to enhance its effects.
Here are some of the methods of using blue tansy oil:
You can dilute blue tansy essential oil with other oils and massage your muscles and joints.
Here are two essential oils blends that you can try:
Massage for calming:
- Mix 3 drops of blue tansy oil, two drops of each of fir needle and lavender oil, and one tablespoon of carrier oil.
- Apply the mix on your shoulder, neck and upper back and massage.
Massage for muscle:
- Mix 3 drops of blue tansy oil, five drops of helichrysum oil, and one tap of vitamin E oil.
- Add 2 tsp of fractionated coconut oil to the mix.
- Massage your aching muscle with the oil.
Take a damp cotton ball and add a few drops of blue tansy oil. Apply the cotton ball to affected skin.
Add some blue tansy essential oil to your diffuser. Inhale the aroma to calm yourself. The aroma can also repel the bugs.
Take a bowl of hot water and a few drops of blue tansy essential oil. Also, pour an equal amount of eucalyptus or peppermint oil in it. Inhale the vapor. It will help you to get relief from congestion and mucus.
Precautions and Side Effects
Blue Tansy essential oil is usually safe. But it can also be harmful to you if not used properly. Therefore, you need to maintain the following precautions:
- Blue Tansy oil is considered safe for pregnant women. But you must consult with a doctor before using it.
- The oil contains high camphor content. So, people with Parkinson’s disease and epilepsy should not use it.
- If you are taking medications that include antidepressant, antihistamines, antibiotics, and antipsychotics, you must avoid blue tansy oil. It’s because the oil may interfere with these medications.
- You must not ingest blue tansy oil as it can produce toxic metabolics.
- Do not use this oil for topical application without diluting it.
- There are so many fake blue tansy oils in the market. You must buy it from a reputed manufacturer.
Blue Tansy Oil vs. Tansy Oil
Many people confuse blue tansy oil with tansy oil. The main difference between the two oil is their names. Blue Tansy oil’s botanical name is Tanacetum Annuum, while tansy oil is known as Tanacetum Vulgare. The latter one contains thujone, which makes this oil quite poisonous.
Blue Tansy essential oil contains chamazulene that gives the oil a rich blue color. This oil is quite expensive. Many unethical resellers may sell this essential oil mixed with the cheap tansy oil.
Because of it, you must not go for a cheaper option while buying blue tansy essential oil. Always buy from a trustworthy reseller to ensure the quality.
Some FaQs About Blue Tansy Essential Oil
- Is blue tansy oil safe to use?
- Blue Tansy oil is usually safe to use. But you need to dilute it before using. Also, if you’re pregnant, you must ask your doctor first.
- Can I ingest blue tansy oil?
- No, blue tansy oil isn’t safe for ingestion.
- Why is tansy oil or Tanacetum Vulgare harmful?
- Tansy oil or Tanacetum Vulgare contains thujone.  Therefore, the oil is very poisonous. It shouldn’t be even considered as an essential oil.
- How much is the cost of blue tansy oil?
- Blue Tansy oil is very expensive. The price may differ from supplier to supplier. If you get the oil at a lower price, there is a high possibility that its fake. Some cheap blue tansy oil can be adulterated with Tanacetum vulgare. You must purchase the oil from a reputed supplier.
- Which oils are good to blend with blue tansy oil?
- Some essential oils blend quite well with blue tansy oil. These are lavender, geranium, neroli, helichrysum, bergamot, and eucalyptus oil. It also blends well with fractionated coconut oil, petitgrain, and spearmint.
Blue Tansy oil is expensive but worth the money if you know how to use it.
The oil can treat many ailments including pain, inflammation, cough, and skin problems. It contains so many therapeutic properties, so you must give it a try.
Do not confuse blue tansy oil with the toxic tansy oil. Do not try to buy a cheap one.
Always read the labels before using it and store it as per instruction.