There’s so much to calendula oil that people should know about.
Also called the “African marigold”, calendula has been used in traditional medicine in China, India, Europe and many parts of the world .
It’s one of those healthy essential oils that you should use more often to promote health and wellness.
Get to know more about the many benefits of calendula oil and what science has to say about these.
1. Calendula Oil Can Reduce the Risk of Cancer
Being diagnosed with cancer is one of the most terrifying things that can happen to you.
If it’s someone in the family, it could be just as traumatic.
As we all know, cancer is one of the leading causes of death worldwide.
The National Cancer Institute defines cancer as a disease in which the cells of the body grows uncontrollably and spreads to the nearby tissues.
The good news is, it is preventable with healthy lifestyle, regular exercise, and a diet rich in anti-cancer foods.
Natural anti-cancer approaches such as the use of calendula oil can also help.
Calendula oil, one of the popular remedies for this potentially fatal disease, has a two-way action against cancer .
Second, it strengthens the immune system to make the body more capable of fighting the disease .
A 2006 study reports that the triterpenes and flavonols in this oil demonstrate cytotoxic effects again human cancer cells .
- Calendula works to fight cancer in two ways: first, it kills the malignant cells in the body, and second, it boosts immune defense against infections and complications.
- Its triterpenes and flavonols kill the cancer cells that cause colon cancer, leukemia and melanoma.
2. Calendula Oil Can Fight HIV
Another serious and deadly viral infection that should never be taken lightly is HIV.
What’s even more alarming is that nearly 13 percent of them are not aware that they are infected.
This is a cause for concern as this disease is contagious, and can be transmitted through sexual intercourse, blood transfusion, or use of infected needles or dental equipment.
A pregnant woman who is infected with HIV may also pass this to her unborn baby.
This virus, which destroys the white blood cells, makes it difficult for the body to fight off infections and diseases .
It can then lead to an even more serious condition, which is acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS).
HIV is said to have no cure, but there have been studies done on certain natural substances that might be capable of inhibiting the activities of the virus .
Calendula oil has been found to have anti-HIV properties that should further be investigated .
- HIV is a virus that destroys the body’s ability to fend off diseases and infections.
- Calendula oil is said to have the ability to inhibit or reverse the activities of HIV.
3. Calendula Oil Can Treat Staph Infections
It’s normal to have some bacteria on your skin and inside your body.
In fact, they even help carry out certain bodily processes such as digestion, for example.
What’s not normal is when bad bacteria invade your body and cause you to get sick.
Fortunately, staph infections can be toned down with natural antibacterial agents like calendula oil, reports a 2008 study .
It’s important to combat bacterial infections before they progress into something more serious, and harm your health.
- Having bacteria on your skin and inside the body is normal.
- Bacteria only start to cause problems when they outnumber the healthy microorganisms in the body.
- Staphylococcus is a group of bacterial strains that can cause infections.
- This and many other types of pathogens can be combated with the use of natural antimicrobial agents such as calendula oil.
4. Calendula Oil Can Relieve Inflammation
Contrary to popular belief, inflammation is not entirely a bad thing.
In a way, it is the body’s way of defending itself from harmful invaders.
Inflammation occurs when a foreign contaminant tries to enter the body, and the body in turn attempts to get rid of it .
Redness, pain and swelling are often the results of inflammation .
The reason people are wary about inflammation is because it is often accompanied by pain, and can cause great discomfort.
When it becomes chronic or persistent, you would want to tone it down with natural anti-inflammatory agents such as calendula oil.
Since most of these studies have been done on animal subjects, it’s necessary to do human trials to further establish the anti-inflammatory properties of calendula oil.
- Inflammation is the body’s first line of defense against harmful invaders such as bacteria and viruses.
- To ward off pain and inflammation that has become chronic and persistent, you can make use of calendula oil.
- Calendula oil is a powerful anti-inflammatory that you can use as remedy for chronic and persistent inflammation.
5. Calendula Oil Can Treat Venous Leg Ulcer
Common among the elderly, venous leg ulcer occurs in 3 out of 1,000 people .
This problem, according to the National Health Services, causes pain, inflammation, and itching in the affected leg.
It occurs when high pressure obstructs or damages the veins in the legs.
In a study published in the International Journal of Tissue Reactions, 34 patients with venous leg ulcers were randomized to receive either calendula extract or saline solution twice a day for three weeks .
After the treatment period, it was noted the ulcers in the calendula group was reduced by 41.7percent, a rate much higher than the 14.52 percent achieved in the saline group .
- Venous leg ulcer, which commonly affects older adults, brings pain and discomfort.
- It is caused by obstruction or damage in the leg veins.
- A natural way to treat this problem is with the use of calendula oil, which according to a study, can give results in as quick as three weeks.
6. Calendula Oil is a Good Remedy for Stomach Pain
Whenever you suffer from stomach pain, you look for a remedy that’s not only effective but also quick-acting.
The sooner you can get rid of the pain, and get back to your normal routine, the better.
Stomach pain, which is also referred to as stomach cramps, is a dull ache felt in the abdominal area .
Unless it’s a sign of an underlying medical condition, it usually goes away on its own.
But just because it’s minor, it doesn’t mean that you have to bear the pain.
In a study conducted by researchers from Pakistan, it was found that calendula oil can cause relaxation of induced contractions even at low dosage .
It works by blocking the calcium channels and exerting cholinergic activities .
- Calendula oil is a safe and natural spasmolytic agent that can provide quick relief from abdominal cramping.
- It alleviates stomach ache by blocking the calcium channels, and relaxing the contracted muscles.
7. Calendula Oil Can Strengthen Immune System
Does your immune system need a boost?
If you get sick all the time, the answer to this question is a resounding yes.
Strengthening the immune system is more important than most people realize.
After all, this is the body’s first defense against harmful pathogens like bacteria, viruses and fungi.
Calendula oil is a powerful immunomodulatory agent that can help in this purpose.
This was proven in a study that was published in the Phytoresearch Journal .
- Boosting the immune system is important to keep diseases at bay.
- Calendula oil, with its immunostimulating activities, can help keep the immune defense strong.
8. Calendula Oil Can Alleviate Dermatitis
Having smooth clear skin may not be among the first of your priorities, but it’s a must to remember that having healthy skin is a sign of good health.
If you have any form of skin disease, you should give it immediate attention.
One of the most types of skin problems is dermatitis.
Mayo Clinic explains that dermatitis is a “general term” that’s used to describe skin inflammation.
In some cases, dermatitis comes in the form of raised and swollen blisters while in others, it appears as white flakes similar to dandruff.
Although it’s usually not a serious ailment, you would want to resolve this embarrassing skin disorder with natural solutions like calendula oil.
German scientists tested the efficacy and safety of calendula extract in patients induced with dermatitis, and after four days, there was a significant improvement in their condition .
- Calendula oil is an effective anti-inflammatory that can help in the treatment of dermatitis.
9. Calendula Oil Can Tone Down Edema
A common term used to describe swelling, edema is the body’s response to inflammation or injury, according to WebMD.
This can be caused by any of these factors: infection, pregnancy, medication, and medical conditions.
One way to tone down swelling and resolve this problem is to use calendula oil.
A study that was featured in the Journal of Ethnopharmacology reported that calendula oil can work just as efficiently as the standard medication when it comes to treating edema .
Since it is a natural remedy, it does not have the same side effects as other anti-inflammation medications.
- As a potent anti-inflammatory, calendula can cure other inflammatory diseases such as edema.
10. Calendula Oil Works As An Antifungal
Having problems with fungal infections?
Although they’re not life-threatening, fungal infections like athlete’s foot, jock itch or ringworm can affect your life in one way or another.
Its most common effect is to make you feel self-conscious about your skin.
It’s a good thing these problems can be resolved with calendula oil.
In 2008, researchers have found that calendula oil can successfully inhibit the activities of 23 strains of fungi .
It works to prevent not only the growth but also the spread of fungal species.
- Fight fungal infections with calendula oil, which has been scientifically proven to inhibit at least 23 fungal strains.
- It helps stop fungal species from growing, spreading, and causing infection.
11. Calendula Oil Kills Parasites
Merely the thought of having parasites inside your body can already cause so much distress.
What more if it’s an actual problem that you have?
Fortunately, certain natural remedies can help, and one of these is calendula oil.
According to research, this oil has antibacterial and anti-parasitic properties that can help get rid of intestinal parasites in efficiently and safely .
It targets the cellular activities of the parasites, and kills them during the infective stage.
- Control parasitic infections with calendula oil, which can get rid of parasites safely and effectively.
12. Calendula Oil Offers Sun Protection
Although it’s nice to get a golden tan color, it’s important to remember that overexposure to the sun’s harmful UV radiation can cause numerous health problems including skin cancer.
Before going out into the sun, it’s best to apply natural sunscreen like calendula oil, which does not have any harsh chemicals.
Calendula oil, as proven in a 2012 study, can successfully protect the skin from UV-induced damage .
At the same time, it helps maintain the skin’s natural pigmentation .
Protect your skin from the sun without exposing yourself to toxic chemicals that can harm your health over time.
- Over exposure to the UV radiation from the sun can cause various health problems such as skin cancer.
- Protect yourself from the sun with calendula oil, a safe and chemical-free sunscreen.
- Chemicals in commercial sunscreen can also cause numerous health problems when used for a long time.
Take note of all the wonderful benefits that calendula oil offers.
It can be used to ward off a number of minor and serious ailments, promote a strong immune system, and protect your skin from the sun, among many others.
As with all the other essential oils, of course, you have to follow the proper procedure for preparing and using of these remedies.