Coconut oil contains “medium chain triglycerides” fat.
It acts quite differently than the other kinds of saturated fat on your skin.
In this article, we will explore some beneficial effects of coconut oil for skin lightening and how you may use it.
What does the Research say about Coconut Oil?
- Virgin coconut oil has active natural skin healing components. It can lighten up the uneven skin tone by eliminating the scars, wounds, and other undesired dark spots on your skin. 
- It contains the essential medium-chain fatty acids such as capric acid and lauric acid for skin health. These natural components have antiviral, antibacterial and antifungal properties. Thus the application of coconut oil may be useful to combat against the bacteria and fungi responsible for skin irritations and infections. 
- Coconut oil has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. These natural components may soothe your damaged and irritated skin. Topical application of coconut oil may be beneficial for healing atopic skin inflammations, repairing skin barrier and to get a clear and lighter skin tone. 
- The antioxidant and Vitamin E in coconut oil aids the skin cells to mature and get healthier. It can shed dead skin cells and regenerate new skin. 
- People have been using coconut milk for skin lightening from ancient time. Research evidence support the effectiveness of this practice. 
- Several research suggests that both sesame oil and coconut oil for skin discolorations may be effective natural remedies. Coconut oil may also aid people suffering from hyper-pigmentation. 
ALSO READ: 13 Best Essential Oils for Skin Glow
How to Use Coconut Oil for Skin Whitening
1. Virgin Coconut Oil
You can use coconut oil in various ways for lightening up your skin tone.
How to use:
- Apply virgin coconut oil on the uneven skin areas at night before going to sleep.
- You should gently massage it for a few minutes on the skin to let it absorb the oil. Keep it on overnight.
- Wash off in the morning with light warm water. You may repeat this process every day to lighten your skin tone.
2. Coconut Oil and Lemon Juice
Lemon juice is packed with Vitamin C, natural bleaching and acidic properties.  Using it along with coconut oil may prevent bacterial infections and several chronic skin issues. Coconut oil is known as one of the best skin bleaching oils.
A simple method of using coconut oil and lemon juice to lighten skin:
- Add 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice with 2 tablespoons of virgin coconut oil. Clean your skin with regular water and pat dry.
- Stir the blend well and apply the mixture onto the concerned areas.
- Gently rub the mixture on your skin using a cotton ball.
- Keep it on for 15-20 minutes. Lastly, wash it with light warm water.
Note: You may mix coconut oil and lemon essential oil (2-3 drops) for skin lightening lotion.
3. Coconut Oil and Baking Soda
On the other hand, coconut oil inhibits the irritation caused by exfoliation.
For more effective results, you can mix some lemon juice and tea tree oil along with coconut oil and baking soda.
How to use:
- Combine 1 tablespoon of baking soda, 2 – 4 drops of tea tree oil, 1/2 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice, and 1/8 tablespoon of coconut oil in a bowl.
- Stir it well to prepare a paste and apply it on your dark skin areas.
- You need to keep it for 3 – 4 minutes and then scrub the paste on the applied areas with your fingers.
- Afterward, wash it thoroughly and make your skin dry.
- You should follow this same process for once or twice a week until you achieve the whiter skin tone.
4. Coconut Oil with Turmeric
Turmeric contains a great compound called curcumin. It controls the development of melanin, hence, providing you with a bright, even skin tone. 
A combination of coconut oil and turmeric helps in moisturizing the damaged and dry skin.
The natural healing properties in them travel deep into skin layers and lighten the skin tone from within.
Skin lightening face pack using coconut oil and turmeric:
- Add 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric powder, 1 tablespoon of coconut oil, 1 teaspoon of raw honey, along with 2 tablespoons of flour powder.
- Mix all these ingredients to get the consistency as a paste. Afterward, you apply this paste all over your face as a face pack.
- You need to keep at least for 20 – 25 minutes and wash it off with warm wet cloth followed by cold water to close your skin pores.
- For fast results, you must regularly apply this turmeric and coconut oil face pack to overcome the dark skin.
5. Coconut Oil and Sandalwood
Sandalwood oil or powder is proven to be beneficial for skin whitening. 
The application of coconut oil mixed with sandalwood oil or powder may assist in lightening the skin discolorations, scars, dark spots, and brighten up your skin.
Coconut oil and sandalwood skin lightening recipe:
- Mix the equal portions of virgin coconut oil and sandalwood oil.
- Apply this paste on your face.
- Let it dry on your skin naturally for around 10 minutes.
- Wash with warm water.
Everybody wants to have flawless, beautiful skin.
You don’t need to opt for expensive skin products when you have the natural solution to lighten your skin at home.
The skin-lightening cosmetics available at stores often come with adverse side effects. 
Coconut oil is a natural solution to many skin problems. Many researchers suggest that the oil has skin-whitening effects as well.
The simple remedies discussed above are safe and will not be harmful on your sensitive skin. 
Feel free to leave your feedback in the comments section below.