Rosacea is a prevalent skin problem that affects both men and women .
It is one of the most common reasons for visiting dermatologists .
If the condition gets severe, the redness may spread to your back, forehead, ears, and even eyelids.
If you’re too lazy to visit a dermatologist, the luck is in your favor today. Treating rosacea at home is possible.
Some essential oils for rosacea can tone down inflammation and redness of the skin.
Best Essential Oils for Rosacea
1. Lavender Essential Oil
One of the most popular oils used in aromatherapy is lavender oil.
It can relieve pain, induce relaxation, and treat respiratory ailments. Besides, it can boost blood circulation, and ease tension.
Traditional healers prescribe this as the remedy for a long list of ailments.
You can consider this oil as one of the most useful herbal compounds for treating rosacea .
It reduces inflammation, and provides pain relief to make you feel more comfortable.
It’s one of the mildest essential oils to use for healing of wounds and skin lesions. These facts make it ideal as a remedy for inflammatory skin diseases like rosacea .
How to use lavender oil for rosacea:
- Mix 4 drops of lavender oil, 1 tsp of jojoba oil, and ¼ tsp of fresh aloe vera gel.
- Put mixture in a glass jar.
- Apply to affected areas of the skin.
- Put it on, do not rub.
- Repeat procedure three times a day for one week.
- The week after, reduce frequency to two times a day. Then the week later, apply only once a day.
2. Chamomile Essential Oil
Like lavender oil, chamomile is also famous for its medicinal value.
Solutions prepared from chamomile extract could treat rheumatic pain, and muscle spasms. It could also treat hay fever, gastrointestinal problems, and many other ailments .
Flavonoids and terpenoids are responsible for most of its pharmacological effects .
This herbal treatment is also said to be effective in relieving inflammation. That’s why it is a recommended remedy for people who have rosacea .
A study reported that chamomile works as similar as non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications .
What it does is inhibit the release of inflammatory enzymes in the body .
Chamomile oil is also useful for other inflammatory diseases affecting the skin .
Try this chamomile oil blend to soothe your inflamed skin:
- Combine 5 drops of chamomile oil, 2 drops of lavender oil, and 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Store in an airtight glass jar.
- Apply a thin layer of the oil mixture on inflamed skin.
- Do this procedure three times a day for the first week. On the second week, apply twice a day. On the third week, use only once a day.
3. Tea Tree Essential Oil
All these mechanisms make tea tree oil an excellent remedy for rosacea.
Many scientists have investigated the specific mechanisms by which these properties work.
This oil can reduce inflammation by inhibiting the body’s inflammatory response .
Most people who use this oil on their skin report of soothing effects. But it’s important to remember that you should dilute tea tree oil first. Otherwise, it can cause skin irritation.
Learn how you can use tea tree oil if you have rosacea:
- Mix 20 drops of tea tree oil and 2 tablespoons of sweet almond oil in a bowl.
- Transfer solution to a glass jar.
- Apply mixture two times a day on the reddened skin after bathing or washing the face.
4. Geranium Essential Oil
Another crucial herbal extract in the world of traditional medicine is geranium oil.
The oil was famous as an anti-influenza, antimicrobial, anticancer and antifungal agent .
Thus, it’s no wonder that researchers have recognized it as a top remedy for all sorts of ailments.
If you’re suffering from rosacea and would want to put an end to this problem, you can try and use this oil.
A simple recipe of the facial cream for rosacea using geranium oil:
- Put 1 tablespoon of emulsifying wax, 1 tablespoon of glycerin, and 1/3 cup of apricot oil in a double boiler.
- Put it on low heat. Wait until the wax melts.
- Add 1 tsp of vitamin E oil. Remove from heat.
- In a separate pan, heat 1/3 cup of calendula hydrosol.
- Add the hydrosol to the mixture.
- Add 15 drops of geranium oil and 5 drops of lavender oil.
- Let the facial cream cool.
- Transfer to a clean container.
- Apply on the face once a day.
5. Sandalwood Essential Oil
Sandalwood oil comes from a tree native to Southern India. It has a strong sweet smell that has made it a favorite ingredient in the perfume industry .
There’s more to sandalwood oil than only making you smell more fragrant.
It can also work wonders for your health.
This oil was an essential part of traditional medicine. Because, it contains a potent antioxidant, analgesic and anti-inflammatory activities .
Traditional practitioners trust its ability to treat infections, inflammatory diseases, and skin disorders.
In a study, several university students with facial redness or skin sensitivity participated. They received either jojoba oil or a combination of jojoba oil and sandalwood oil .
They used both the solutions to carry out manual lymph drainage .
The findings showed that sandalwood had an “excellent effect on the skin.” Besides, it maintained proper levels of sebum and improving moisture level .
Sandalwood is a mild, safe and effective treatment for facial skin conditions .
How to use sandalwood essential oil to heal rosacea:
- Combine 18 drops of sandalwood oil and 1 ounce of apple cider vinegar.
- Put mixture in a spray bottle.
- Spritz on your face once a day.
6. Rose Essential Oil
The enticing smell of rose oil can immediately give you a sense of relaxation.
That’s because this oil is most famous for its anxiolytic or anxiety-reducing effects.
This oil comes from the petals of the rose and can reduce inflammation .
In Iran, the oil has always been a leading choice for treating a wide range of inflammatory diseases .
Scientists have proven its efficacy as an anti-inflammatory and analgesic substance .
Rose oil reduces swelling of the skin. Besides, it brings soothing comfort and pain reduction to make you feel better.
That’s why people often use this oil as a solution for rosacea symptoms.
Learn how to use rose oil to treat rosacea:
- Dilute 7 drops of rose oil with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Spread a thin layer of the oil mixture on your face.
- Repeat every day after bathing.
7. Helichrysum Essential Oil
There are many things about helichrysum oil that we don’t know about.
It’s because it doesn’t share the same level of fame as tea tree oil or lavender.
It also contains pharmacological properties. Those properties make this oil useful in treating many ailments.
The oil comes from a shrub that grows in the dry and sandy places in Mediterranean countries. It has anti-allergenic and antibacterial mechanisms .
You can rely on it for the treatment of diseases that cause skin inflammation like rosacea.
Helichrysum oil tones down swelling and irritation. It also controls pathogenic bacteria to prevent any infection.
How you can use helichrysum oil to reduce inflammation:
- Mix 5 drops of helichrysum oil with 1 tablespoon of almond oil.
- Put the oil mixture in a jar.
- Apply mixture at night before going to bed.
8. Evening Primrose Essential Oil
You may not always find evening primrose oil on the lists of natural remedies. But when it comes to rosacea, it can work wonders in toning down redness and inflammation.
These fatty acids appear to have soothing effects on the skin. It can reduce inflammation and irritation.
A simple way to use evening primrose oil for rosacea:
- Add 5 drops of evening primrose oil to 1 tablespoon of almond oil.
- Apply it on your skin.
- Repeat remedy every night before sleeping.
9. Neroli Essential Oil
Another oil that shows great potential in treating inflammatory diseases is neroli oil.
Neroli oil inhibits the activities of pro-inflammatory mediators such as cytokines .
The flavonoids and phenolic compounds in it can be responsible for these actions .
This oil can be a potential treatment for rosacea and its symptoms.
Try this simple process of using neroli oil if you have rosacea:
- Dilute 10 drops of neroli oil in 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Put mixture in a glass jar with lid.
- Apply solution to the face.
- Do not rub.
- Do this every day when you wake up in the morning.
Read More: 14 Best Essential Oils For Eczema Cure
10. Borage Essential Oil
Have you ever tried using borage oil for treating any skin problem?
If yes, then you may attest to its efficacy and tolerability.
This essential oil is quite underrated, which is wrong. It’s because the oil comes with many medicinal values.
Plants like borage have always been an excellent source of medications. These treatments are safe and effective than those 80 percent of the world’s population still rely on .
For rosacea, borage oil is one of the credible natural treatment methods that you can try.
An easy way to use borage oil to soothe rosacea:
- Mix 5 drops of borage oil, 2 drops of chamomile oil, and 1 tablespoon of jojoba oil.
- Apply mixture on the inflamed skin.
- Follow this remedy every day after taking a bath.
11. Eucalyptus Essential Oil
One of the remedies recommended for skin irritation is eucalyptus oil. It is another essential oil for rosacea that you can put your trust on. 
This oil may have soothing and cooling effects when applied to the skin.
When you have rosacea flare-ups, you can try to apply a diluted solution of eucalyptus oil on your skin. It can reduce the redness and inflammation.
It has analgesic properties, reports a 2003 study .
An animal study performed by researchers from Brazil proved this fact .
How to use eucalyptus oil to heal rosacea:
- Put 5 drops of eucalyptus oil, 2 drops of lavender oil, and 1 tablespoon of jojoba oil in a bowl.
- Mix well.
- Wash your face with a mild cleanser.
- Apply oil blend on the inflamed skin using a cotton ball.
- Do this three to four times a week.
12. Thyme Essential Oil
For those troubled of rosacea, thyme oil can come to your rescue.
This oil is an excellent remedy for many ailments including skin related problems. It can also improve facial swelling and redness.
Its main active compound called thymol may help the oil to reduce inflammation .
It contains other compounds like ursolic and oleanolic acids. These acids also contribute to this action .
It works almost as well as indomethacin. It’s a drug prescribed for inflammatory diseases .
Here’s how you may use thyme oil for rosacea:
- Combine 3 drops of thyme oil, 2 drops of chamomile oil, 1 tsp of almond oil.
- Spread a thin layer of oil on your skin.
- Do this technique after taking a bath every day.
13. Rosewood Essential Oil
Rosewood tree is the mother plant of rosewood essential oil. The oil works very well in solving many skin problems.
The oil is rich in antibacterial and antiseptic properties. These compounds make it an excellent option for the treatment of rosacea as well.
It is the most impactful when the situation rosacea is at its worst with flaky skin and the pus-filled bumps.
Rosewood essential oil is also useful for treating acne. It keeps wrinkles at bay and makes the skin young and glowing.
Moreover, rosewood essential oil is quite useful for the mind’s health too.
Learn how to use rosewood oil as a remedy for rosacea:
- First, you need to dilute 3 drops of rosewood essential oil with 1 tsp of jojoba oil.
- Then apply on to the affected skin.
- Do this process daily till you get relief.
Read More: 7 Rosewood Essential Oil Benefits & Uses
When to See Your Dermatologist
It’s not difficult to treat rosacea with essential oils and a change in lifestyles. But sometimes home remedies may fail you, degrading the condition of your skin. Only a dermatologist can save you from that situation.
If you find these remedies aren’t working for you, talk to your doctor. He/she will test your skin condition and prescribe medications based on that.
Rosacea can have positive effect on your self-esteem and well-being.
Having a red and inflamed skin can make you feel self-conscious and embarrassed all the time.
It might even make you want to cover up your face and skin.
But you can manage this condition with the use of these safe and proven essential oils.
You must follow all the instructions while using the mentioned essential oils.
Hope this article was helpful to you. For any questions or confusions, you can ask us. Also, share your experience with us by leaving a comment in the comments section below.