“It’s not the right food, but your appetite that makes eating a delight.”
But, a desire to eat may be a distant dream for many let alone enjoying the food.
Yes, a low appetite is like that. You may have experienced a lack of appetite at some point in your life. This syndrome left you with no urge of eating. (1)
Food is of utmost importance for the nourishment of your body. So, it’s vital that you know why you suffer a lack of appetite and how you can solve this problem.
There are some natural appetite stimulants, right in your kitchen. You can use these available ingredients to address a low appetite. (2)
The Causes of Appetite Loss
You may have an appetite loss for many reasons. It can be a short or long-term syndrome. Let us look at some of the common causes of appetite loss. (3)
- Emotional breakdown
- Stressful events
- Hormonal imbalance
- Debilitating illnesses(influenza and anorexia nervosa)
- Certain medications (codeine, morphine, cold syrups, antibiotics, etc.)
- Eating disorders
The following home remedies and lifestyle hacks can stimulate your taste buds. It will help your overcome appetite loss.
13 Natural Appetite Stimulants for Loss of Taste
How to use lemon:
- Boil 1 liter of water and add ½ kg of sugar to it. Cook it on low flame until you get a thick syrup.
- Switch off the fire and allow the syrup to cool down. When the syrup is cold, add 1 liter of lemon juice and 2 teaspoons of vinegar to it. Mix all the ingredients well and store it in a container.
- You can consume 2 tablespoons of this syrup 3 times daily to increase your appetite.
Also Read: Lemon Juice for Acne: 8 Simple Home Remedies
Tamarind is a prominent ingredient in Ayurvedic practice. This tropical fruit has a long list of medical properties.
Tamarind pulp has a generous stock of iron, magnesium, potassium, and laxative. (5) That is why it is beneficial in enhancing your appetite and digestive functions.
Here is a simple method of using tamarind:
- Mix 10g of tamarind pulp with 1 cup of water and leave it for 10 minutes.
- Now strain the solution and add a pinch of salt and pepper to it.
- You can drink this tamarind juice twice daily for a week and crave for food again.
This popular herb has a direct contribution in producing gastric enzymes. This way it can enhance your appetite for food. Coriander is also a potent remedy for indigestion and various stomach disorders. (6)
Learn how you may use coriander:
- Blend ½ a cup of fresh coriander leaves with water.
- Make coriander juice.
- Drink the juice every morning on an empty stomach.
- Repeat the treatment for a week to see good results.
4. Fennel Seeds
This great variety of tea has excellent medical values. It contains vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients. These can help your gastrointestinal and immune system. Fennel tea can enhance the production of bile from your liver and boost your appetite. (7)
An easy way of using fennel seeds:
- Boil 3 cups of water and mix 1 teaspoon of fennel seeds powder in it.
- Remove it from the fire and strain.
- You can add a dash of lemon or honey with the tea and drink it twice a day.
Ginger isn’t a great ingredient to flavor your non-veg dishes. It has medicinal properties in it that can boost your taste buds and promote appetite.
You can chew on a piece of ginger for its refreshing flavor and enhance your taste for food. Or, a cup of ginger tea can kick start your day on an appetizing note. (8)
How you may use ginger:
- Boil 3 cups of water and mix 2 teaspoon of ginger paste in it.
- Remove it from the fire and strain.
- You may mix a little bit of honey or sugar to sweeten it.
- Drink this tea twice a day to get hungry again.
6. Cayenne Pepper
Cayenne pepper or guinea spice is the red-hot chili pepper that you use to spice up your dishes.
But I bet you did not know it has an extraordinary contribution to enhancing your appetite.
Cayenne pepper can trigger the salivary glands to produce saliva and the metabolism of the body. Thus it helps to improve your appetite for food. (9)
Here is how you may use cayenne pepper:
- Spice up your dishes with cayenne pepper and increase your appetite forfood.
7. Peppermint Leaves
Learn how you may use peppermint leaves:
- You can chew on a fewpeppermint leaves or brew them with your tea to get back a raving stomach.
8. Food That Consists Of Vitamin B
Vitamin B enriched food converts your food into energy. There are B vitamin supplements in the drug store, but you need to consult your doctor to take them.
You can always reach out for specific food items that are a natural store of vitamin B.
The research has shown that a lack of vitamin B in your body can lead to loss of appetite.
Food that you should eat:
- Intake these vitamin B enriched food to increase your appetite:Cereals, milk, eggs, meat, fish, etc. (11)
Here is a simple method of using pomegranate:
- Mix 2 cups of pomegranate juice with 1 cup of milk and some honey for taste.
- Blend well.
- You can chill the juice in the refrigerator and drink it twice a day.
Some Lifestyle Hacks to Beat Appetite Loss
A lower appetite can be a reason for your unhealthy and undisciplined lifestyle. It’s time you took control of your life and make the best out of it. The very first step to a better life is a healthy body.
So a good appetite for food is your primary concern to hack a good health. Below you’ll learn some lifestyle hacks that you should turn into your daily habits.
10. Do Physical Exercise
Light physical exercise can go a long way in stimulating your appetite for food. Physical movements can burn the calories of your body and run the hungry wolfs in your stomach at the end of the day. (13)
Make a habit of regular physical exercise either in the morning or the evening. It can be as simple as taking a brisk walk in the park for 30 minutes. You should also eat foods that are high in carbohydrates and proteins.
The ancient practice of yoga has a psychosomatic effect in your life. This physical and spiritual practice can improve your life.
Yoga can remove stress, anxiety, mental breakdowns and boosting your metabolism. Thus, a daily ritual of yoga in the dawn for 30 minutes can stimulate your desire for food. (14)
Begin with basic yoga lessons such as Surya Namaskar and breathing exercise. These yogic postures will regulate your digestive health and improve appetite. Do these yoga postures everyday.
12. Lead a Disciplined Life
A disciplined lifestyle is utmost essential to have a hungry stomach and eat well. Take control of your life and strike up a routine for your daily activities.
Don’t keep awake till late at night and wake up early in the morning to catch up with all other activities. Cut down on snacking, smoking and consuming tea or coffee. Do not skip the meals and have them in proper time. Lead a life of positive thinking.
13. Avoid Drinking Water Before Meals
Drinking water before and during the meals can affect your appetite. You may fill up your stomach with water and spoil the desire for food.
You may consume water in sips during the meals but not too much of it. Drinking water after finishing meals can help in your digestion process.
When it comes to seizing a healthy living, there is no alternative to eating well. A lower appetite can be the greatest block to your sound health. The lifestyle hacks and natural remedies discussed can help you solve appetite loss.
Seek a doctor’s help only when you are suffering from bulimia and anorexia and face severe symptoms.
Let us know your experience of trying any of the remedies that you have learned from this article. Share your story in the comment section below.