Mono or Mononucleosis is a viral disease. It may cause high fever, swollen lymph nodes, and fatigue.  You can soothe some of the symptoms using essential oils.
In this guide, you will find some effective essential oils for mononucleosis and their benefits according to research and their side effects.
Mono is also called the “kissing disease” as it spreads by kissing someone.
Usually, mono symptoms appear for 2-4 weeks after infections. But, you may have severe fatigue lasting for a couple of weeks.
Causes and Symptoms of Mono
While known as “kissing disease,” you can also get infected by the virus if:
- You share the same forks, glasses, and spoons with the EBV-positive person.
- You get exposed to the coughing or sneezing of an infected person.
- Blood transfusion or organ transplantation (in rare cases) from an affected person.
- Having sexual intercourse with an infected person may also affect you.
The common symptoms of mono include:
Best Essential Oils for Mononucleosis
Essential oils can be an excellent choice to treat mono without any side effects. These oils are rich in antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties. These components help you to get rid of mono symptoms naturally.
1. Thyme Essential Oil
2. Oregano Essential Oil
This therapeutic essential oil comes from wild oregano flowers and leaves. It’s a potent oil that can treat various infections. 
Oregano essential oil contains thymol and carvacrol. These potent antiviral properties can inhibit the spread of EBV and restrict its growth. 
3. Eucalyptus Essential Oil
Eucalyptus oil originates from the eucalyptus tree. The oil is quite helpful in soothing respiratory issues. 
The oil contains chemicals that can stimulate your immunity. It also improves respiratory circulation, preventing symptoms related to mono. You can use it as a natural sore throat remedy.
4. Lavender Essential Oil
The oil is rich in antifungal and antibacterial properties. It’s a great choice in aromatherapy and to ease fatigue. This essential oil will help you relax and get well soon.
5. Tea Tree Essential Oil
Tea tree oil can treat a sore throat, a common mono sign. The oil can also boost your immunity.
6. Galbanum Essential Oil
The oil is a great detoxifier and blood circulator. It can stimulate the circulation of blood and lymph in your body.
How to Use Essential Oils for Mononucleosis
Try this essential oil drink for mono:
- Mix 1 tablespoon of oregano oil, 1 tsp apple cider vinegar, and two tablespoons of lemon juice. Pour the mix into a glass of warm water.
- Consume the drink.
Here’s how you may consume essential oil as a capsule:
- Fill an empty capsule with five drops of tea tree oil.
- Consume the capsule three times a day.
Precautions and Side Effects
It would help if you had plenty of rest to manage the symptoms of mono. Any physically straining exercise can worsen the symptoms.
Do not share your utensils and personal things with others.
Drink plenty of water to eject the toxin elements from your body.
Essential oils may help you soothe symptoms. But if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, do consult with a doctor before using them.
When to See a Doctor
If you want to treat your mono symptoms at home, essential oils are a good choice. But, sometimes, you may develop some severe but rare complications. 
You must see a doctor if you find the following symptoms:
- You have a sudden, sharp pain on the left side of your belly. It means you may have a problem with the spleen.
- I was feeling dehydrated and having poor urination.
- If you have trouble swallowing and breathing, then it’s a medical emergency. You should consult a doctor immediately.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best treatment for mono?
There’s no over-the-counter treatment for mono. Some of the best treatments for mono are natural remedies and lifestyle changes. Here are a few things you can do:
- Take plenty of bed rest.
- Drink lots of fluids and water daily.
- Avoid all kinds of heavy physical activities and exercises.
- Gargle with saline water several times a day to relieve a sore throat.
- Opt for pain relievers such as acetaminophen and ibuprofen to soothe muscle pain.
Follow these natural treatment options to get rid of mono fast.
Can you go to school if you have mono?
Mononucleosis is highly contagious. Usually, mono symptoms last for a few weeks. However, you may continue to feel fatigued even after all other symptoms go away. Consult a doctor about whether you can attend a school or gym class when you have mono.
You cannot participate in contact sports such as hockey, soccer, etc. Doing so may raise the risk of the spread of mono. It would help if you informed your principal about your sickness and the reason for the absence.
What causes mono to flare up again?
There are chances of mono flaring up a second time in your life. For example, the Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) may remain dormant inside your body for a long time. However, a few remaining virus cells may cause mono to flare up again.
Mononucleosis is a viral infection that you shouldn’t take lightly. Usually, you will start feeling better in 2-4 weeks. But the symptoms such as swollen spleen and fatigue may persist for weeks.
There’s no cure for mono, but you can soothe the discomfort and some symptoms using certain essential oils. You should consult a doctor if the mono symptoms get worse.