Mono or mononucleosis is a highly contagious disease. The viral disease causes high fever, fatigue, and swollen lymph nodes. 
You can manage some symptoms of mono by using natural ingredients like coconut oil.
Read on to learn whether you may use coconut oil for mono to relieve the discomfort.
Causes and Symptoms of Mono
Mono is a highly contagious infection caused by the Epstein-Barr virus (EBV).
The virus is generally present in the mucus or saliva. You will get the virus by kissing, coughing and sneezing, and sharing food utensils. That’s why it’s called “kissing disease.”
The causes of mononucleosis: 
- Kissing an infected person
- Sharing food utensils and straws.
- Exposure to coughing or sneezing of an EBV positive person.
- If the affected persons donate their blood or organs.
Once you get the virus, it will take 4-7 weeks to show the complete symptoms. 
If your age is between 15 and 24 and you have a weak immune system, you’re at high risk of contracting mono.
The symptoms usually go after 2-4 weeks of the infection. While it’s benign, you may have an acute infection in some specific cases.
The common symptoms of mono include:
- Lack of energy and fatigue
- Body aches and extreme weakness
- Swollen tonsils
Research-based Benefits of Coconut Oil
Almost every part of the coconut tree has some beneficial uses. Many people consider the coconut tree as “the tree of life.”
The oil is an excellent source of medium chain fatty acids (MCFAs). You can find the following MCFAs in coconut oil:
- Capric acid
- Lauric acid
- Caprylic acid
The best part of these fatty acids is that your body can quickly absorb them to form monolaurin. It’s a monoester with potent antibacterial and antiviral activities.
Besides, coconut oil is rich in vitamins and other nutrients. These properties can improve your health by restoring your immune function. 
Some researchers consider coconut oil as one of the healthiest food in the world. And, why not? The oil can help treat diseases more than you think.
The following list shows some research-based benefits of coconut oil:
- Reduces blood pressure
- Boosts brain function and immunity
- Helps control diabetes
- Helps in weight loss
- Balances hormone
- An excellent solution for herpes
Read More: Can You Use Coconut Oil for Hemorrhoids?
Why Use Coconut Oil for Mononucleosis?
Coconut oil is one of the safest home remedies to manage the symptoms of mononucleosis.
The potent anti-viral properties of coconut oil can combat various infection-causing viruses.
The fatty acids in this oil can inhibit the growth and spread of both HSV-1 and HSV-2, measles, influenza, and even AIDS. 
Coconut oil can kill the Epstein Barr virus and prevent mono.
The oil is also effective against the virus that has grown resistant to medications. 
Coconut oil has antiviral and antibacterial effects. So, it can prevent other infections that may worsen the symptoms of mono.
Besides, coconut oil has little to no side effects. Thus the oil is safe for oral consumption.
How to Use Coconut Oil for Mono?
There is rarely any pantry with no coconut oil in it. Thus it’s the most available home remedies to cure mono naturally.
Here’s how you may use coconut oil to reduce the symptoms of mono:
- Warm a generous amount of coconut oil and massage your swollen lymph with it. Repeat the technique three times a day to ease the pain of mono.
- You can consume 1 tablespoon of extra virgin coconut oil Twice a day. Mixing it with yogurt may help you get rid of mono fast.
Coconut oil is usually safe to use. But it may not work for everyone. If you are allergic to coconut, you should avoid using this oil. 
Besides, oral consumption of coconut oil may cause loose motion. It should subside on its own. But if not, you should immediately stop consuming the oil.
You must consult with your doctor before using coconut oil to avoid complications.
When to See a Doctor
You can rely on coconut oil as a complementary remedy for mono. But, it’s a viral infection. Thus you must let your doctor treat it. 
Some signs of mono may become severe if you’re not careful. Seek medical attention if you see the following symptoms:
- If you suffer from poor urination. It means you’re dehydrated.
- If you have a problem with spleen, there will be a sharp pain on the left side of your belly.
- Contact your doctor if you have trouble breathing due to mono. Remember, it’s a medical emergency.
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I get over mono fast?
There is no specific drug or treatment for mono. However, you may bring a few lifestyle changes to control the symptoms. These practices and natural or herbal remedies for mono may help you get well faster.
- Take a lot of rest.
- Drink plenty of water and other kinds of fluids.
- Consume healthy foods with lots of vitamins and minerals (Vitamins for mono: Vitamin B-12, vitamin C, vitamin D, vitamin E)
- Add honey to your tea.
- Try ice pop, throat lozenges, and ginger tea in case of a sore throat.
- Gargle saline water.
- Talk to your doctor and ask for appropriate medications to reduce fever or pain.
What are home remedies for mono?
Some potential natural cures for mononucleosis include:
- Natural remedies for mono: Garlic juice, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, licorice root, cranberry juice, coconut oil, honey, warm salt water gargle, probiotics,
- Essential Oils for mono: oregano oil, tea tree essential oil.
- Herbs for mono: Astragalus herb, echinacea herb, wormwood, calendula, myrrh extracts, etc.
- Homeopathic remedies for mono.
How long does it take to get rid of mono?
The duration varies from person to person. A fever induced by mono may heal in 10 days. Other symptoms of mono may go away in 2-4 weeks. Research claims that fatigue caused by mono may persist for 3-6 months. Even after you have recovered from all the symptoms the virus may survive inside the body.
Mono is highly contagious. Thus you must not share utensils, towels, or napkins with an EBV positive person. Also, avoid kissing them.
It’s a viral infection with no permanent treatment. Usually, the virus will go within 2-4 weeks, but the symptoms may last for a few more weeks.
You can try coconut oil as a complementary remedy to soothe the symptoms.
Coconut oil is the safest option when it comes to natural remedies. But, you should ask your doctor before using it.