Mononucleosis or mono is a common viral infection prevalent among the adolescents. (1)
Mononucleosis is contagious. Mono has a famous nickname- ‘kissing disease.’ It is because you primarily contact with EBV through passing saliva while kissing an infected person.
However, EBV is not only kissing positive. There are other ways of passing the bodily fluids and spreading this virus. (3) These include:
- Sharing silverware; fork, spoon, glass, etc. with an infected person
- Exposure to sneezing and coughing of an EBV positive person
- EBV is transmitted through blood and semen as well. Hence sexual intercourse with an EBV victim may contaminate you too.
- In rare cases through organ transplantations and blood transfusions
Once you are infected with EBV, you may experience the symptoms of mono after 4-7 weeks. Sometimes the virus survives inside your body without ever manifesting mono symptoms. The symptoms may vary from mild to severe in forms. This viral disease can affect your life and daily activities.
Some of the symptoms of mono include: (4)
- High fever
- Swollen lymph nodes
- Extreme weakness or tiredness
- Appetite loss
- Body or muscle aches
- A sore throat
- A headache
Wondering how long does it take to get rid of mono? You may suffer from mono symptoms for 2-4 weeks until the infection cures by itself. However, the extreme tiredness may last for some more days after the virus is off. The prescription treatments to get rid of mono such as pain relievers, antibiotics, acyclovir, valacyclovir, and amoxicillin, etc. have the backlash of side effects. (5)
Instead of choosing these unsafe and costly drugs, you should think of alternative remedies to get rid of mono.
There are some easily available home ingredients and lifestyle hacks to get rid of mono viral disease effectively. These natural remedies and self-help can speed up your healing process and help you cope with mono symptoms as well.
In this article you’ll learn:
- Top 11 natural remedies to get rid of mono.
- Additional tips and lifestyle hack to prevent mononucleosis.
Top 11 Natural Remedies to Get Rid of Mononucleosis
1. Garlic Juice for Mono
Garlic is an easy to reach kitchen ingredient. This super spice may stink and sting but has some strong medicinal values. Garlic has a long tradition in the Ayurveda as a natural remedy for all forms of health problems. Each clove of garlic is full of anti-inflammatory and antiviral properties.
Allicin and ajoene are sulfur two major deposits in garlic that can efficiently cure mono naturally. Research has proved significant effects of-of ajoene and allicin in garlic extracts to curing herpes simplex virus 1 and 2. (6)
- Blend 4-5 garlic cloves with 3 cups of water
- Strain the juice and mix a pinch of salt in the juice
- Drink this medicinal juice 2 times daily to get rid of mono
- Alternatively, you can consume raw garlic with your meals so long you suffer from mono.
- Continue this simple home treatment until you get rid of mono naturally.
2. Coconut Oil for Mono
Coconut oil comes from the kernel or meat of the coconut. There is the endless usage of this popular oil in health care and tropical cuisine. The versatility and medicinal values of coconut oil come from its rich chemical compounds. Coconut oil has a rich source of 90% saturated fat. (7)
However, coconut fat is Medium Chain Triglycerides or MCT fatty acids. Your body metabolizes this fat in a different way than the animal-based fats. Thus, you don’t have the risk of heart disease from coconut oil. (8)
Your body has little or no inflammatory response to this beneficial oil. (9)
Apart from a long list of antimicrobial, antiparasitic, vitamin E and K, and antioxidant properties, coconut oil also has potent antiviral activities in your body. It is because coconut oil fatty acids are comprised of two powerful antiviral agents; lauric acid and capric acid. They formulate respectively 50% and 10% of one drop of coconut oil.
A 1999 study published in the “Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences” shows that lauric and capric acids can disintegrate Herpes virus type 1 and prevent mononucleosis. (10)
- Warm a tablespoon of coconut oil
- Now gently massage your swollen lymph with the oil
- You can massage your fatigued and sore muscles as well
- Redo the process thrice daily to soothe the swellings and pains of mononucleosis.
- Also, consume 1 tablespoon of coconut oil to fight the infection internally. You can make your dishes using coconut oil.
Note: Internal consumption of coconut oil may give you lose motion at the beginning. This condition will subside on its own.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar for Mono
The medicinal uses of vinegar date back to 5000 year BC in ancient Babylonia. Since then vinegar has versatile uses in all forms of home remedies.
The good old apple cider vinegar or ACV is a ‘cure all’ or panacea as a natural remedy. It is a potent combination of fermented apple juice and acetic acid. ACV provides you with a strong immune system which can keep the EBV infection responsible for mononucleosis from spreading and keep it at a distance. Apart from antiviral activities, ACV can effectively fight off cold, muscle sores, respiratory problems, etc.
You can consume ACV mixed with honey as a drink to get rid of mono. (11)
- Add 1 tablespoon of organic ACV and 2 teaspoons of raw honey to one glass of warm water
- Stir the solution well
- Consume this drink twice daily to overcome mono symptoms.
4. Honey for Mono
Honey is another easily available home ingredient to help you combat mononucleosis. From ancient time onwards people have been using raw honey for various home remedies such as colds, cough, fever, respiratory illnesses, etc.
The pathogens fighting components in honey make it difficult for the infectious virus to grow and reproduce. (12)
That’s why honey is a potent agent to kill EBV and stop the symptoms of mono. Honey is also a very active source of probiotics. It can boost your immune system to retrain the activity of the virus in your body.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of raw honey in a glass of lukewarm water
- Stir the solution well and drink it.
- Repeat this simple process twice a day to see significant improvement in your immune defense against EBV or mononucleosis.
5. Warm Salt Water Gargle
A simple salt water gargle is a great remedy for relieving some of the mononucleosis symptoms. The main component of salt is sodium chloride. The antiseptic nature of salt can fight herpes virus and restrain its spread.
A sore throat and swollen tonsils are some of the painful symptoms of mononucleosis. Salt water gargling is an efficient remedy to reduce these symptoms and soothe the irritations and pains.
- In a glass of hot water mix 1 tablespoon of regular salt
- Stir the solution thoroughly
- Now sip the solution and gargle with it for some time
- Repeat the process several times a day to reduce inflammation caused by mono.
6. Essential Oils for Mono
Essential oils are a potent source of anti-inflammatory and antiviral components. They can provide effective solutions to get rid of mono symptoms such as headaches, sore throat, muscle aches, inflammations, swellings, tiredness, etc.
Thyme essential oil comes from the evergreen herb-thyme belonging to the mint family. Its healing properties are anti-rheumatic, antibacterial and calming components. It is a potent remedy for your sore throat. (13)
Oregano essential oil is the essence of wild oregano flowers and leaves. This spicy and golden herbal oil has two strong antiviral properties namely carvacrol and thymol. These two components in oregano oil can effectively inhibit EBV or herpes 4. (14)
This herbal oil is the best bet for antiviral effects against EBV. It can restrict the growth and spread of the culprit virus.
Eucalyptus, tea tree and lavender oil also have potent antiviral and immune boosting qualities in them.
- In a glass of warm water add 1 tablespoon of oregano oil to 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar.
- Mix the solution well
- Now, consume this potent drink taking several minutes.
- Alternatively, fill a capsule with 5 drops of tea tree oil and consume 3 times a day to get rid of mono-infection.
7. Lemon Juice for Mono
Lemon juice helps you get rid of mono with vitamin C. Lemon juice is a rich source of vitamin C, phytonutrients, flavonoids, and minerals. These compounds make lime juice a potent remedy for inflammations. Since lemon is antiseptic, it can detoxify your body of all harmful pathogens and free radicals. It’s the best bet for you to ease swollen neck, sore throat, and inflamed tonsils.
- Add 5 tablespoons of lemon juice and 1 teaspoon of honey
- Stir the solution well and consume it twice a day for relieving sore throat
- Alternatively, add the same solution to a glass of warm water, 2 teaspoons of ACV.
- You can drink the solution before going to bed to get rid of irritation in your throat.
If you have a weak immune system, you are prone to viral attacks. Probiotics or health-promoting microorganisms in certain foods can improve your immune system of the body. Yogurt, dark chocolate, kefirs are some of the probiotic foods.
The research has shown significant contributions of probiotics in halting the spread, and growth of viral infections. Some probiotics have great contributions to your respiratory and stomach infections. (15)
- Mix 6 tablespoons of yogurt with 1 tablespoon of honey
- Eat this sweetened yogurt thrice a day to fight off mononucleosis and its symptoms.
9. Astragalus Herb
Astragalus has a long tradition of healing in ancient China. This potent herb can strengthen your immune system to ward against EBV infection or mononucleosis.
The three major antiviral compounds in Astragalus are polysaccharides, flavonoids, and saponins. These properties can effectively fight off inflammations and viral infections. (16)
- Boil a few astragalus roots for 15 minutes
- Now strain the astragalus tea in a cup and add 4 drops of tea tree oil to it
- Stir the solution and consume it twice daily for a week
- You’ll notice a significant improvement in mono symptoms within a week.
10. Echinacea Herb
Echinacea is another powerful herb that you can use to cure mononucleosis infection naturally. This therapeutic herb has active antiviral, analgesic, and anti-inflammatory properties.
Echinacea can boost your immune defense against EBV infection. It can prevent the recurrent attacks of the infections and mono symptoms such as muscle aches, sore throats, and swellings in the neck. (17)
- Heat a cup of water and boil a handful of dried Echinacea leaves
- After 10 minutes strain the solution and add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice in it.
- Consume this Echinacea tea thrice daily to curb the mono symptoms and improve your immune defense against the infection.
- Alternatively, you can soak a piece of cloth on Echinacea solution and give your swollen lymph a hot compress. The warmth will reduce the inflammations.
11. Licorice Root
Licorice root is part and parcel of Indian Ayurvedic practice and Chinese herbal medicines. Its active component -triterpenoid works as a natural antiviral agent and immune booster to fight the growth of EBV and mononucleosis infection. (18)
This herbal root can keep off free radicals and protect your white blood cells from contaminations. Licorice roots can ease the swollen lymph nodes and sore throat.
How to use:
- Heat a cup of water and boil a few licorice roots for 15 minutes
- Strain the tea and add 3 tablespoons of lime juice and 1 tablespoon of honey
- Stir the solution thoroughly and consume it
- Repeat the process 2 times daily to see good results in a week.
Additional Tips and Lifestyle Hacks to Get Rid of Mono
Self-care is the best way to get rid of mono naturally. Here are some lifestyle hacks to help you ward off this infection effectively. Some of the tips can help you stop mono before it starts its havoc.
- Mono-infection makes you exhausted and tired. So, rest is supremely important to reduce the effects of mononucleosis infection. Take enough rest when you are down with this infection. Don’t force yourself and indulge in physical activities. Take naps during the day and uninterrupted sleep at night.
- Water or any other healthy drinks can flush out the toxic elements from your body and speed up the healing process. You should stay hydrated by consuming water, coconut juice, and herbal tea when affected with mono-infection.
- Avoid games or sports that need physical contacts with other players. (19)
- Sadly, you have to stay away from kissing and sexual intercourse while down with this infection.
- Avoid physically straining exercises and weightlifting during mono-infection. Otherwise, you may injure your spleen.
- Eat and drink in separate utensils to avoid the infection from spreading.
- Avoid smoking and consuming alcohol to get out of the inflammations faster.
- Add foods that are rich in potassium, magnesium and vitamin B12 properties to your diet.
Mononucleosis is a common viral infection. You can effectively get rid of mono and its symptoms by following the above mentioned natural remedies and self-care tips.
Let us know your experience of using any of the methods to fight this infection. Stay safe and healthy always!
Read more: 11 Safe and Natural Home Remedies for Tonsilitis & How to Use Them