A head bump is a soft swelling on your head.
You may hit your head to something accidentally.
The buildup of fluids from damaged blood vessels may cause swelling. 
The swelling can give a mild pain and stiffness to your head.
Also known as ‘goose egg,’ a knot on the head is quite common in children. They usually end up with a bump on their forehead while playing. 
The bump area is often tender to the touch. It might cause mild to moderate pain along with skin tissue discoloration. 
Head bump swelling may take days or weeks to disappear on its own.
You may reduce the swelling of the head bump by opting for some home remedies.
These home remedies are complementary treatment only.
We recommend you to consult a doctor first before you use any home remedies.
Read on to learn more about some effective home remedies for head bump, including how to use and prepare them.
Potential Home Remedies for Head Bump
You may reduce the pain and swelling of a mild head injury with several effective home remedies.
1. Lavender Essential Oil
Lavender essential oil contains soothing properties that may heal head bump.
It’s a suitable remedy for all kinds of pain caused by sore muscles, sprains, etc.
Here’s how you may use lavender oil for the head bump:
- Mix 20 drops of lavender and frankincense oils each, 10 drops of geranium essential oil with 1 tbsp of extra-virgin coconut oil.
- Apply the whole blend on the affected area using your fingers.
Note: You can change the essential oil quantity according to your preference.
Turmeric is a popular ingredient for reducing pain and swelling after a head injury or bump.
You can apply turmeric paste on the affected area.
You can even consume turmeric milk twice a day for reducing the pain and swelling quickly.
How to treat a bump on the head using turmeric paste:
- Add 2 teaspoons of turmeric powder to 1 tablespoon of extra-virgin coconut oil.
- Form a smooth paste.
- Apply the turmeric paste on the area where it’s swollen and let it dry.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Apply this paste 2-3 times a day to get rid of a goose egg.
3. Castor Oil
Castor oil may be an effective home remedy for treating swelling on the head.
The oil contains ricinoleic acid (RA). This major component in castor oil has potent anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties.  Hence a topical application of castor oil may assist in reducing the pain and swelling of a head bump.
This natural remedy helps in stimulating the immune system and boosting blood circulation. 
How to use castor oil for a goose egg on the head:
- Add 1 teaspoon of castor oil to 1 teaspoon of honey.
- Apply the solution on the swollen forehead with a cotton ball.
- Wait for 30 minutes. Wash it off with lukewarm water.
- For best results, you may apply it 2 – 3 times a day.
A cold compress works as first aid for a head injury. An ice pack can reduce the swelling caused by an injury. 
Research suggests that ice constricts the blood flow to the injured area. Thus it helps in tightening the blood vessels and decreases the swelling. 
The cellular activity decelerates as the temperature penetrates the tissues and the skin.
Ice may also help in easing the pain.
How to reduce swelling on head bump using ice pack:
- Wrap a few ice cubes with a piece of cloth.
- Place this ice pack on head injury for about 15-20 minutes.
- You should take a 5-minute break before applying another ice pack.
- Repeat this several times to get rid of a goose egg on your forehead fast.
5. Warm Compress
The warm compress helps to open the blood vessels. So it becomes easier for the oxygenated blood and nutrients to get to the damaged tissues.
Learn how you can use a warm compress to reduce forehead swelling:
- You may get a salt bag poultice for your head bump or any other warm compress which you can easily make.
- Place it on the bump for around 10 minutes. Let the warmth heal your swelling and pain.
6. Arnica Gel
The herb arnica contains analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties. These components assist in healing your pain and swelling of a head bump. 
It is a safe homeopathic remedy for head bumps. 
It boosts the reabsorption of cells and fluid which causes inflammation. Besides, it may lessen the swelling and pain after your injury.
The sooner you apply arnica gel remedy after your head injury, the better it will work on your head bump.
How to use arnica gel to treat head bump:
- You can apply this gel 2 or 3 times a day or as per requirement.
7. Onion Poultice
Onions can do way more than just enhancing your food’s flavor!
It can be an effective home remedy for treating swellings on your head.
Onions are rich in bioflavonoid quercetin and sulfur compounds. These compounds have anti-inflammatory effects that can ease your pain. 
How you can soothe head bump using onion poultice:
- Put chopped onion pieces in a cloth and wrap it.
- Apply it on the bump.
- Repeat several times daily for faster relief.
When to See a Doctor
Seek for Medical Attention if You Experience the Following:
- Bumps on back of the head
- Lumps on the head that hurt when pressed
- There are more swelling and bruising than the expectation
- Loss of consciousness after the injury
- Memory loss
- Persistent neck pain
- More sleepiness than before
Head injury is a condition that you need to take seriously, especially for the children.
These home remedies may give you temporary relief from pain and swelling of a head bump.
All the remedies discussed here are safe. But, if the injury is severe, you need to see a doctor to avoid further complications.